• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no idea BigGun. I could figure that old John Deere plow could be wanted to a collector. Neighbor was going to scrap it. I could hold off on gutting that one and see if a collector would be interested but the spreader has no name and is mostly rotted out.  

Lots of John Deere people around here. Could try cl. Could be worth a lot to me if it produces a needed part. I work with shapes mainly. The name isn't AS important but can sometimes sell the art. 

7 hours ago, Jimmyiorn said:

Pretty sure I have the same spreader here in the field, think it's an IH

When I idly looked at images on Google, the hooped channel looked IH-ish.

Alan

7 hours ago, Farmall said:

I remember riding back to the barn sitting on the side of the spreader.......OSHA would have been proud.  

I was riding around on the bale sledge with my little chums. When the driver stopped to pull the string and release the gate he set off with a jerk, I lost my seat and went out with the bales, clobbered by the gate as it passed over me...ouch.

How do we ever survive childhood?

Alan

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:15 PM, Dogsoldat said:

any idea what the lock plate may have come off

a very old Muzzle loading gun, rounded part is the Pan where the fine powder charge for ignition (primer charge)was placed.  What gun? there were hundreds of different ones and as a lot of these guns were hand made by local gun makers including the locks.

Das, I would hold off on doing anything with the old John Deere plow.  There are lots of folks who restore and/or collect old JD equipment.  I see them all the time in old restored tractor and farm implement shows around these parts.  You might search for those shows in your area and maybe post some info to them.  Some Amish/Mennonite folks might like it.

I talked with the neighbor last night and he has another more complete plow that he will sell me for $100. Im going to go over and check it out today. 

I will hold off on doing anything to the John Deere until I have talked with some collectors. 

Alan some of luck out and survive to get older. :) 

Early Russian and western settlers built churches and schools all over the north. As part of their mission to civilize the natives eradicating the native languages was second only to converting everybody to Christianity. Speaking native languages was actually made illegal and people were punished for using them. That wasn't so effective against adults but school children was a different matter.

In the last few decades an attempt to revive native culture has grown in strength. A mistake I see made frequently is thinking Athapaskan and Inupiat are two different languages. They're actually two related language groups and almost every family group (tribe) spoke their own local dialect. When visiting distant relatives say more than half a day travel distant sign language was used till enough dialect was shared to speak clearly even then signs were used constantly to be clear.

The knife type in question has been used as long as humans have been making blades, compare an Ulu to a Silutrian hand axe. The shape is as utilitarian as it gets what it's made from is pretty irrelevant within basic performance requirements.

Frosty The Lucky.

I got the other plow from my neighbor. Another John Deere. He had asked $100. Because he thought it was in better shape but looking at it it is missing parts and has some major broken parts. i gave him $80 for it and nabbed another gear off of an old roll up door he had. He is happy and I'm happy. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm going to be a bit respectful and hold off on the plows but I'm not sure they are worth what they are worth in art parts. I'll see. 

That gear is great. I have too many ideas for one gear lol. Some large ideas and some smaller projects. You wouldn't sway me to say what you see in it, I might even borrow your idea lol. 

On a side note, it's really cool that John Deere stamped or cast their name in so many parts on those things. Back with more pride in craftsmanship.

I was seeing a large clock. I'd attach a piece of sheet or plate to the angled out parts for the clock face. Maybe the sheet would have some pieces cut out to make it look more like a second gear sitting on top of the other with a few splines coming back to the center to hold the clock mechanics. I know it needs more than just that but that's all I've got. If I had the pieces in front of me and the time I'm sure I could come up with something to fill in the void. 

12 hours ago, notownkid said:

, rounded part is the Pan where the fine powder charge for ignition (primer charge)was placed

I didn't think it was a flintlock, don't really have any reason why, I just thought it was a muzzle loading percussion cap one. thoughts? obviously if it was a percussion cap lock plate, than it was missing the lock plate, but if it was part of a flint lock, it missing the frizzen , frizzen spring, etc..

I'm not a black powder expert at all, sooo...

here is a picture-

Image result for flint lock lockplate

But now, after looking through google images some more, it looks like it could just as likely be a flintlock. I really don't know though, but it doesn't look like there was a place for the frizzon spring. Any experts in the crowd? well of course there is, on the internet everyone is an expert! That was meant as a joke, there doesn't seem to be really any "know it alls" who don't actually know it all.

Littleblacksmith