I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Took a pleasant drive to Tennessee today to poke around a junkyard and this followed me home. No idea what it is. It is VERY heavy, each tongue is roughly the thickness of a railroad spike, they all swivel on the central round bar. I plan to undo the collar on the end and pull them off to do....something...with, but was curious if anyone knew what this was?

Btw thanks to eseeman, I had a great time poking around that junkyard. If it weren't so hot out I'd have stayed longer, but still came back to Bama with 72 pounds of Primo Scrounging Stuff!

(Later edit). I could not get the nut on the collar on either end to budge even one tiny bit, so I ended up taking the reciprocating saw to get it apart, which ate through two brand new Milwaukee metal blades! But I finally got it apart, adding a photo of one of the pieces and the cut end of that center rod). So...anybody know what this is ?

Looks like the anti kickback fingers from a large planer or sawmill edger.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, anti-kickback fingers. I have a miniature version on my radial arm saw for ripping. What are you going to make from them?
And the thing leaning up against the spring is a double tooth from an old grass cutting machine. I cut the cross pieces off and weld a couple of ball bearings on to make great heads for junk-art birds.

Ah, thanks Aus, I was wondering about that also. I snagged two of them at the junkyard, not sure what I'm going to do with them yet.

On the big kickback fingers, I can think of lots to do with them. I need to replace my bandsaw blade today, but want to slice one into threes (they're plenty thick for that) and form some bottle openers from one. I have a bunch of these, so I'm gonna think on it for a while beyond that. It was just too full of possibilities for me to leave in the junkyard even though it was so heavy I barely wrestled it out of the pile!

Even with a new blade I had a very hard time cutting into one of the tongues, not sure what it's made of. My extremely limited experience is barely enough to recognize how the higher carbon steels look very different when heated and act very differently. I heated one of them yesterday and attempted to bang on it a little....it laughed at me. Out loud. With a mix of amusement and contempt. Okay, not really, but it seemed like it. So now I'm not sure what to do with 'em. I'm guessing knife makers, hammer makers and someone with a power hammer would love these, but I'm not any of those. I'll throw a few in the hat at Forge Council next week, but anyone have any ideas what a simple novice like me could do with these?

Even with a new blade I had a very hard time cutting into one of the tongues, not sure what it's made of. My extremely limited experience is barely enough to recognize how the higher carbon steels look very different when heated and act very differently. I heated one of them yesterday and attempted to bang on it a little....it laughed at me. Out loud. With a mix of amusement and contempt. Okay, not really, but it seemed like it. So now I'm not sure what to do with 'em. I'm guessing knife makers, hammer makers and someone with a power hammer would love these, but I'm not any of those. I'll throw a few in the hat at Forge Council next week, but anyone have any ideas what a simple novice like me could do with these?

What's worse than the contemptuous laughter is when it doesn't even notice me. Putting up a good fight under the hammer is usually a sign of HC steel, it'll probably make some good tools.

Frosty The Lucky.

looks like you have been grinding the surface of that, a very bad idea.

to get that sort of finish you should USE an anvil NEVER REMOVE METAL FROM IT.

removing a few thousanths of an inch  reduces the life left in the anvil by many decades unless you only intend it for a garden ornament

I found this at Matero's Recycling in Lansdale, PA. They had 3 anvils 2 of them were in bad shape... This one I ended up paying $2/lb for. Before and after photos attached

Before:
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

After dressing:
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

-DM

She's a beauty but stop grinding on her! There is very little utility in shiny and the cost is too high. It's not like you had to remove dings that would make working harder. Hot iron and a hammer will shine it up as it should shine, not as a polished pretty.

Put her to work, she isn't a living room decoration.

Frosty The Lucky.

Looking at the patina shadows on the face in the after I would say more likely gone over with a wood working belt sander with very little actual steel removal  the horn looks a bit more vigorous removal.

Anyway I don't think you have caused problems on the face and regular application of hot steel and a hammer will polish it up even more! 

Nice Fisher, probably the top brand of "quiet" anvils in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. If you want a better rebound, have you thought of welding a piece of 6 inch forklift tine on top? If done right, couldn't that improve the rebound? (Maybe our more knowledgeable members can comment on the merits of trying something like that.)

My first anvil was an approx 200lb 3x6 face x30" long forklift fork... I still use it.

Had the good fortune to pick up a 110 lbs. Hay Budden today $175.  A man called me this morning and said that he just getting ready to post in on Craigslist, but saw my ad announcing that I was looking for anvils.  He said that he bought it for his son, but his son didn't have any interest in owning it.  He said that he bought it from an 80 year old lady who inherited it from her grandfather, who -- as she remembered -- had owned it since before the turn of the century.  I love hearing the old backstory on tools and equipment.

yO0vkg1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One mans hole is another mens bending jig

Salvaged from the scrap yard, it was greased and then painted all over by the previous owner.

I don´t like the color but otherwise its perfect.  :P

One wheel is out of track, but as long as I don´t take it to a race its ok

Manufacture specs are:

Peddinghaus 13 RP 10 (was hidden under the paint)

Round 22 mm
Square 20 mm
L 60 x 60 x 7 mm
Flat 90 x 14 mm
ca. 180 kg