I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Yeah, that's two votes for SMOKIN DEAL!

Take a close look at all the struck tools, I can see a couple top tools with mushrooming on the struck end, one is REALLY obvious and I haven't looked closely. Grind the mushrooming off and chamfer the edges so chips don't come shooting off at bullet velocity.

I call that a shop in a box, virtually everything you need. Congratulations!

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

;) I knew it was too good to pass up, lol. I figured that the anvil and cone were a dollar a pound. That makes the tongs and handled tools about $5 each. Too sweet!

Once I get them all cleaned up I will post a new pictures. I have been using an electrolysis setup I learned about here on iforgeiron to clean the hammers. I get about three a day done. Frosty, you are right some of these tools really have some sharp mushrooming and I am grinding them down smooth. It makes me wonder what they have been through or how long they have been around. Most of the stuff has heavy pitting, still usable but almost everything needs some work to make it nice.

Fantastic deal!  You can't buy a new cone for less than $250, and used ones in that size and condition are usually around $400.  The anvil's size and near-mint condition would certainly put it's value above $2.50 a pound.  Just those two make the deal very very very good.  I generally value hand tools very low because you might never use them, but they'd still bring in $5 each in every flea market I've ever been too.  

Excellent score!

• 2 weeks later...

Not a major boon, but I found this on the edge of the highway paralleling a railroad track. It was on the far side of the road from the track, so I didn't break any laws by going on railroad r.o.w. I don't have any use for it as-is, but was thinking of cutting it into three sections for hammers. Make a rounding hammer outta the middle section (it already has the eye), maybe a dishing hammer out of the heavier end. It's marked J09 and Tamko Alloy-B, anybody know what those mean?

post-28530-0-42431500-1387322833_thumb.j

So I rummaged up some old textbooks yesterday and was able to sell them back for $150. I also stumbled across a CL listing of an anvil with stand. Good timing. Got in touch with the guy and drove over. Real nice guy, local machinist and he was building a 30's ford coupe hotrod in his garage. He said he weighed it at 100 lbs and I think its a Trenton. It has a great ring, good rebound and the face is flat and pretty smooth with with edges in decent shape. Some damage to the tail, looks like a torch cut but that's the only real damage to an otherwise great looking anvil The stand is alright but it will probably be upgraded to a stump when I can find one. Paid $200 for it, he was a good guy but firm on his asking price. This will go nicely with my (what I think is a 169 lb) Wilkinson that is in pretty decent shape but has some tail damage and a little bit of a dip in the face. I still need to get it back to my shop and cleaned up with a wire wheel but I'm happy with essentially only paying $50 for it

qzdU1Z1.jpg

Here is an album with more pictures
http://imgur.com/a/ZECfG

I have been looking for a little brother anvil to my Peter Wright 170 lber. I figure when I get my trailer set up for demoes, a nice small portable PW would be ideal. Well a fellow I met at quad state had a nice little 72 lber and he even drove it over to me!! It is in fine shape and just perfect for what I wanted. I am very happy to say that now I have a travelling forge, and a travelling anvil, the rest is gravy!!

post-4158-0-08583200-1387382428_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-83970700-1387382439_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-47677500-1387382450_thumb.jp

This little 3' x 2' x 1" steel table top I found at the scrapyard a while ago. I made the legs and then had to figure out how to pick up 200kg and mount it on the legs. It will be a useful addition to my workshop, weighs twice as much as my anvil. I am still trying to figure out what to use the jig on top for before I grind it off.

The steel bin is fitted with in and outlet piping and an overflow. 1.4m long and 700mm wide, 400mm deep. Not sure what I am going to use it for, but I am sure it will be very useful. The rollers already got another use. 

post-5093-0-18846600-1387651585_thumb.jp

post-5093-0-28014800-1387651793_thumb.jp

Jacques,

now that's one solid work bench! My thoughts on the bench are unless you specifically want to bend and fabricate to the radius of the jig, it's just in the way and if you grind it off, you have a great flat topped welding and fab table.

As for the bin, well apart from being a huge slack tub ;-) I would be cutting the tub out of the frame and using that for scrap, and then using the frame to fab another very heavy duty work bench - either for your own use or to sell, welding tables and benches are a reasonably popular item (depending on how much you paid for the tub in the first place...)

just my 2c worth.

cheers,

Tom

The parts for this followed me home a few weeks ago. A 30" coulter for the base, with casters, and an old planter packing wheel for the rack. The 4" square tubing cutoff on top holds the punches I don't use often. Small shop, can roll it out of the way when done.

I really like the wheel idea I have some just laying about needing a job and that a good place for one of them

I rescued this from the the trash, I think this would work for twisting stock cold. I just need to figure a way to secure the metal at both ends. and make a table for it.

It reccomends to use gargoyle oil,post-2133-0-90926100-1388527916_thumb.jp I dont think there are any 'round here? I haven't started looking for 600 w oil yet, any suggestions

The hook I found in the desert near Seligman AZ, I think it was forged, but I am not sure. There was/is many mines in the area.

post-2133-0-48725100-1388527911_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-36929600-1388527929_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-66721400-1388527940_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-33399800-1388528417_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-59770500-1388528423_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-71674200-1388528429_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-85253400-1388528434_thumb.jp

I rescued this from the the trash, I think this would work for twisting stock cold. I just need to figure a way to secure the metal at both ends. and make a table for it.

It reccomends to use gargoyle oil,attachicon.gifDSCF0341.jpeg I dont think there are any 'round here? I haven't started looking for 600 w oil yet, any suggestions

My twister was made from a 50 to one gear reducer that weghs 250-300lbs. I can't tell for sure what the reduction  is on yours or how big it is but it needs to be big  for twisting. The output shaft on yours I'd guess is 2-21/2'' which is about right. Mine will twist 1.25 square cold and much larger hot. I just use 90wt gear lube in mine and it works well.

Got to visit the scrap yard twice over the holidays, total of a bit over 100 pounds *out*:

some 3/8" sq stock that's a big user for my classes and always welcome at 20 cents US a pound.  

A tank valve protector that I make wind bells out of (and will pay for the entire load),

A couple of small saw blades the youth director at church needs for making shuriken,

various short strap useful for making forks and small chest hinges.  

What I believe is a disk spacer---round slightly conical with a 1.5" sq hole through it that will hold all the tooling I've made for my                 3 anvils with 1.5" sq hardy holes

finally a small cast iron skillet that showed no indication of use for melting toxic materials and is now gracing my stove after                       scouring it out---fried all the bacon ends for my New Years pot of beans as the start of reseasoning it.

Had a nice bowl of beans with some hatch hot green chile and cornbread  for breakfast.  A Happy and Prosperous Scrounging New Year to ALL