Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

This piece followed me home today. I saw an ad in a local online classified (in Utah where I just moved from) about a guy looking for a big chunk of steel to use as an Anvil. I contacted him because I had seen this and thought at the time that it would make a good post Anvil. Too bad I didn't need one. Well now I think it will go to good use. Next time I go back to visit family I'll drag this back with me to it's new owner.

post-17657-0-09173500-1328296161_thumb.j

post-17657-0-52230200-1328296191_thumb.j

post-17657-0-83275600-1328296255_thumb.j

post-17657-0-70617600-1328296285_thumb.j

After hearing all the tips on using old garage door springs for flint strikers, I stopped by our local garage door dealer and asked him if he had any. He told me there's a small pile out back and to help myself.
When I went out there I expected to find a few small broken springs, but when I went out there I found 2 really large industrial door spings. They measure 6" across and I got a total of 4 and a half feet all for free. (I also got a few of the smaller size springs!)
I'm assuming it's the same steel i'd need for the strikers, but if not then i'm sure I could use it for candle holder stock or something.

What a great post anvil! Glad to hear it's going to a good home---I always make people promise to pass it on to another person starting out if they stop using it if I give them something like that.

Coil spring is a lot more effort to work for something like a courting candle; however the wire they use for *shipping* bundles of large re-bar for major construction projects is dead soft and easy to use and gets thrown out or scrapped by those projects.

I was thinking more along the lines of candle stickers, or something. I'm not sure how hard it will be to use, since I haven't tried it yet.
In my head i figured I'd toss a section in the fire and hopefully pull it apart and then cut it into decent lengths.
I did get a few pieces of 2" spring, that I thought would be easy to use by heating and pulling apart creating a nice spaced spiral, then all I'd have to to it decorate the ends with a leaf or scroll or something. (Looks like a glass insulator from the old RR poles would fit in it nicely to hold a tea light)
Again, i've never tried it, so if it does prove to be a pain it can always go back to the pile!

Went to the scrapyard Saturday and picked up a couple pieces of wrought iron from wagon tyres, a drawknife (Baystate) still had the wooden handles on it, a nice light adze with spike, piece of 1/2" pipe for a project, a coffee can of 3/8 and 1/2" bolts---still shiny and unused, a piece of sq tubing, and some other stuff for US$8--a bit high but the woodworking tools in decent condition upped my costs...

Picked up 24" of 1 1/4" square mild steel to make hardy hole shafts from for some tooling that I need to get made. Also had a customer called and asked if I could use some old steel tires that are about 1 1/4"-1 1/2" wide. He said that he had several that I could just have. But he had to cut the tree down first, that had grown up thru the middle of the pile. I told him that I could use them. He's bringing them over later this week. :)

I've picked up so much as deals lately it'll be hard to decide.... How about a couple hundred 4' x 1/2" steel rods connected to several hundred cast aluminum brackets at auction for $75... The track system from a dry cleaners that holds the clothes....This pic isn't all of them... I can imagine all sorts of uses for the rods alone...not to mention the brackets (4-5 of them attached to the wall make a pretty cool articulated arm for air lines? swing away lighting?) the 1/2" rods ought to make good branding iron handles ?

post-23680-0-01641900-1328581867_thumb.j

I know that this is not a blacksmithing tool, but a tool is a tool and for $25 I couldn't resist this pre-1956 Dewalt MBC-29 radial arm saw. It runs and has all its parts and the adjustments work, so maybe a 9" metal cutting blade will let me cut some metal from time to time ... found this at a house where an older guy has a yard sale about once a month where I have found files, nippers, a 16# Atha sledge and various other goodies over the last 2 years ... had this thing setting out in front and I just couldn't pass it up for the price. Heck, if nothing else it ought to be good for a trade!! There is no base and the cutting table is way wrong, but it has that heavy cast iron arm and it runs quiet even at being nearly 70 years old ... no AMF stickers here!

post-10988-0-60950600-1329017339_thumb.j

post-10988-0-19772500-1329017352_thumb.j

post-10988-0-19444600-1329017364_thumb.j

I know that this is not a blacksmithing tool, but a tool is a tool and for $25 I couldn't resist this pre-1956 Dewalt MBC-29 radial arm saw. It runs and has all its parts and the adjustments work, so maybe a 9" metal cutting blade will let me cut some metal from time to time ... found this at a house where an older guy has a yard sale about once a month where I have found files, nippers, a 16# Atha sledge and various other goodies over the last 2 years ... had this thing setting out in front and I just couldn't pass it up for the price. Heck, if nothing else it ought to be good for a trade!! There is no base and the cutting table is way wrong, but it has that heavy cast iron arm and it runs quiet even at being nearly 70 years old ... no AMF stickers here!

What you mean a saw is not useful to a blacksmith? I can think of dozens of uses that fine woodworking skills can enhance blacksmith work!

I used that exact saw in high school. They are know for not staying square, so have a large and small square hanging under the table to check frequently. (may have been a high school student effect too)

Phil

Lucked out Saturday when I went to dump the trash. The Trash Transfer station had aquired a pile of "metal" that the guy who runs it let me go through with the caveat that the Old Plow, Wagon Parts and horse drawn dump scoop were *his*. On the other hand I was able to get the wrought iron wagon tire, various rods, a wagon nave---may be cast iron, all in all about 50 pounds of metal for free.

Did a spark test on a couple of pieces and I have some *old* high C stuff in there, very red and bursty.

I figure someone was taking it to the Scrapyard next door, found it closed and so dumped it at the trash transfer station. That makes 2 weeks in a row I've picked up a wrought iron wagon tyre---I paid about US$5 for the previous one though...