I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Sort of fell into this one. It was recovered from the mud of an mid-1800s barn that was torn down. I guess that it has been in the family a few years. I removed some of the rust with a wire wheel. It appears to be nearly identical to the William Foster anvil photograph on page 127 (upper right hand corner of page) in the book Anvils In America, by Richard Postman. Apparently William Foster anvils have the date, and inspector's mark on the side. This anvil seems to have the word Foster stamped twice, and the inspector's mark of JC.

I leaned the anvil against a Mousehole anvil to take the picture. Lately it seems to be raining anvils here in Pennsylvania. :D

16360.attach

16361.attach

16384.attach

Edited by UnicornForge

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm doing a demo next month where there's no electricity so I was "forced" to dig up a Champion 400 Crank Blower:D When I found out about the demo I called an old friend who had one sitting around and he let me have it for $40! Now I don't have to use electricity to belch coal smoke into the atmosphere! I am officially "green"!

16418.attach

Sort of fell into this one. It was recovered from the mud of an mid-1800s barn that was torn down. I guess that it has been in the family a few years. I removed some of the rust with a wire wheel. It appears to be nearly identical to the William Foster anvil photograph on page 127 (upper right hand corner of page) in the book Anvils In America, by Richard Postman. Apparently William Foster anvils have the date, and inspector's mark on the side. This anvil seems to have the word Foster stamped twice, and the inspector's mark of JC.

I leaned the anvil against a Mousehole anvil to take the picture. Lately it seems to be raining anvils here in Pennsylvania. :D

Are you going to weld up the edges??

Over 500 files, these are the good ones that I didn't anneal. The worn files have been annealed/normalized ready for future projects.

Roper Whitney corner cropper and miracle bender plus an Edwards angle iron guillotine.

5" leg vice, still with the original cross hatching on the jaws.

16535.attach

16536.attach

16537.attach

A Mad Mac Viking wet/dry sodablaster and sandblaster.

Ten years ago we had a salesman demonstrating this sandblaster at work,
but we decided not to buy because it was too expensive.
Saturday I bought this for less than 10% of that price.
I won't do a gate with it but for the small stuff I make it is perfect.

Sandblaster.jpg

I swung by the farm supply store here in town yesterday. They had a huge table of dicount items. Including a massive stack of DeWalt 7 inch flap disks. They were marked down to $8.40 then had an additional 20% off. $7 each, lots of the right grit and I had cash in hand.

Felt like I cut a fat hog on the deal.

Went to the local scrap yard today and just couldn't resist feeding the addiction:D
The big one $40, 150ish pounds:o
The other ones $20 A piece, 70 pounds.
The pipe vises free99:cool:
Enjoy I hope the pics work, never posted here before.

Happy Forging. Swingit

16527.attach

16528.attach

16529.attach

I just picked up this 128 pound Buckworth anvil. I really didn't know anything about them. I have seen a couple in farm auction listings and one on Kijiji. They are not in Anvils in America.

I turns out they are wrought iron with a steel face. The face is a little dinged up, but I'm not using it for knifemaking.

16600.attach

16601.attach

16602.attach

Edited by Sask Mark

This past weekend , me and the wife took a trip to Stan's for his annual hammer in, This was our first one that we've attended. Stan had mentioned a old time tractor show and a big Flea market they had. So on Saturday morning we all went down there, I didn't bring my fun money because I've been saving to buy me another anvil. So I didn't have any cash, Right after getting there I noticed 2 post drills this guy had and I've been wanting one pretty bad, The wife was down the roll from me and I think she noticed my interest, after looking at it and drooling over it for a few minutes I walked over to her and mentioned that I would love to have it.. She asked how much , $ 75. I said, She said let me go talk to him, next thing I know she has done bought me the post drill.. I got a great wife. Here's pictures. it was made by Silver MFG Company outta Salem, Oh..

16603.attach

16604.attach

16605.attach

Went swimming today down at a little swimming hole near my house. Went poking around and found an abandoned house, after a little more scrounging found an old rotting wagon basically two axles with a bit of wood clinging to them. Anyways ended up with these bits of good metal.

P8160387.JPG P8160386.JPG

i went to the junkyard near me today to find some spring steel. I found a small coil, and a tie rod maybe one inch in diameter. I couldn't believe it they wanted 60 bucks for the two pieces of steel! I passed. i wish i could find post vises at a junk yard!

$60?!?!?

What's their address, I must have thousands worth of old springs laying around!

Check with truck and auto repair shops and any spring shops in your area. Be sure to tell them you're a blacksmith and what you want them for. Offer to pay first for what you find and let them be generous. Most places are intrigued by talking to a "real live" blacksmith and I've never been charged.

If you find a "regular" supplier be sure to make the foreman or better yet the secretary something nice in return.

Frosty

Getting it out of the forby should be no probs, open the back, point her uphill and dump the clutch, with any luck it might land somewhere near where ya want it. Bigger problems is going to be finding enough hacksaw blades to cut that anvil out.
Good score, lumps like that don't fall off the back of truck everyday. Hmmmmm, maybe you will have trouble getting out of the forby.