I Forge Iron

Halloween 2022

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I love Halloween decorations, the skeleton mowing the lawn is my favorite. Don't you have an anvil and skeleton with a hammer?  We don't decorate, only one family has come to our door trick or treating in the 25 years we've lived here. We live too far off a road without many driveways. It's just not good goblin hunting here. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

We’ve never had a trick or treator heart either, we live out in the countryside

We have to take Max to town for trick or treating, 

but highway 59 runs right in front of us so we get a lot of traffic passin by so we like to do a little decorating

Sorry Jerry, I’m not hauling an anvil out to the field! 

AWWW Come ON! Where's your Halloween sprit? Seriously, what's packing a couple hundred lbs. a hundred feet to a dynamic youngster like you? You didn't push that tractor out there did you? Can't get it started again? :huh:

Don't you WANT to decorate like a blacksmith? Should we start a gofundme for doilies antimacassars and a lace apron? :P

Frosty The Lucky.

Halloween is HUGE here in my town. Every weekend through October our downtown is blocked off for block parties, car shows, etc. The guy that owns half of our downtown has 2 or 3 costume stores, as well as 3 or 4 other stores that are Halloween focused and a 1950's themed diner. If you ever watched "B" horror movies you will see a lot of the stuff that he puts out every year for this. That is where he made that most of his money, supplying props for movies and TV shows. 

Trick or treating is a blast. A lot of people go all out getting their houses decorated. From a few skeletons to full blown haunted houses for the kids to go through to collect their goodies. 

Nobody's asking you to spend more money, just put a hand truck under a little anvil or hook it to a tractor  and decorate your place like a blacksmith. If I start a gofundme I'm starting to think a billboard with you in a lace apron  advertising ELECTRIC mower repair, right across Hwy 59 would be just right.

Sounds like Deb and I should see if we can't be in your town for Halloween one of these years, it sounds like a blast! We'll decorate the RV! We often go for Halloween decoration drives on good years there are maps available, whole neighborhoods compete. Same for Christmas lights. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Billy; it looks like some of those folks have been waiting a long while for their repairs to get finished....

Nice that you decorate for the road traffic!   I picked out a large hand cut out of 1/4" plate from the scrap pile and started working on it yesterday, hammering out the fingers thinner and larger so I can curl them and make it more 3D.  Lets see which Halloween I get it done by....

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

If I start a gofundme I'm starting to think a billboard with you in a lace apron  advertising ELECTRIC mower repair, right across Hwy 59 would be just right.

I’d paint your phone number on it! Bahaha:lol:

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Billy; it looks like some of those folks have been waiting a long while for their repairs to get finished....

Tell that to the parts suppliers! 

Last week I finally got a $1k job done on a mower that’s been settin here since July because the parts company couldn’t throw some parts on a pallet and stick it on a truck!

TW, there was a machine shop that offered me a job last year. Offered me almost $5 more on the hour, 2 weeks vacation up front, PTO and a better benefits package. I talked to them, negotiated eveything out was about ready to start. I got home from meeting with the GM and something in my gut told me not to take the job. So i called them up and told them thanks but no thanks. They called me several more times and even offered a bonus for overtime hours. About 2 weeks ago i found out they are going out of business. 25% of machine shops in the Dayton/Springfield area have gone out of business in the past year, and it is getting worse. The reason i bring this up, that machine shop i turned down made mostly parts for lawn and garden equipment, farm equipment, etc. Customers like John Deere and others i am sure you know quite well. So it could be that your parts supplier's, parts supplier, parts supplier, parts supplier is not operating any longer. That company i know made the bar that holds the front wheels of a zero turn mower on that i would assume, as i know very little about the things, that you would get that as an assembly with wheel and all that just bolts on. 

Anyway just a bit of insight from the ground level of manufacturing. 

I believe it Billy, there’s the shortages everywhere from what I’m being told,

there’s stuff I’ve went to order that was available a year ago, and is now discontinued, there’s stuff I go to order and it’s outta stock from every distributor as well as the OEM company and no aftermarket, 

I’ve been warning my customers for a while now to quit buying used equipment at yard sales an auctions because there’s a pretty good chance that the reason it’s for sale is parts can’t be sourced,

9 hours ago, Shainarue said:

Omg I love the skeleton mowing the lawn

Thanks Shaniarue!

I need to run to Wally World and find a couple solar spot lights so people can see em after dark!

I showed the pictures to my wife after I responded and she laughed harder than I did, thanks for getting our morning off to a good start. her favorites were the small skeletons around the mail box and the skeleton pushing the lawnmower. Great imagination 

On 10/10/2022 at 2:30 PM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

I’d paint your phone number on it! Bahaha

S'Okay, if anybody calls I'll tell them I'm an answering service and give them your GPS coordinates and "shop" phone # in case they can't find the driveway. 

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Les L said:

, thanks for getting our morning off to a good start

Lol y’all’s welcome! I’m glad I could help!

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

give them your GPS coordinates and "shop" phone

I don’t have a shop phone it’s much easier to screen out callers on a cell,

GPS doesn’t work to find my place either,

countless people have tried to use gps to find my address over the last decade and they always end up lost, 

For some reason it will take them all over creation, I’ve had people end up at the county courthouse, I’ve had people lost down a dead end road 30 miles from the closest highway, you name it!

infact Thomas an his band of traveling southwestern blacksmiths recently got turned around tryin to get here!

but luckily they weren’t to far away!

Yes, so you've told me many a time. Just imagine how worked up they'll be when they finally get to your place with their malfunctioning electric weed whacker! No shop phone? How will they know you don't have a shop phone when you :blink: answer the # I give them? You DO carry your cell when you're in the shop don't you? Just imagine all the new business you'll get when you rescue folks trapped in Hostile Indian country? 

You'll have more electric yard care equipment to repair than you'll know what to do with!

This really has potential.

How goes reacquiring the smithing equipment?

Frosty The Lucky.