I Forge Iron

Halloween 2022

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

How goes reacquiring the smithing equipment?

Went to check it out Sunday, still working on the details of what all we gonna swap, I’ll keep ya posted,

Billy,

Your right, latitude an longitude with a compass an a topo map would probably be more reliable! 

I dunno why GPS don’t like my house, it works everywhere else around here,

I can find a satellite photo of my house but not by usin the address, I have to scroll down highway 59 till I get to it, 

maybe all the junk on my property is interfering with the system? :huh:

Well I like you too Thomas! 

I’m Pretty sure though that the Air Force bases in fort smith, OK city an Little Rock all three might have something to say about  anyone steering a ballistic missile down Oklahoma Highway 59:rolleyes:

yall got me interested though, Im curious what the lat an long are here, I’ve never bothered looking into it,

Had a stink bug Armageddon. Apparently they find coal inviting and since I haven't lit my forge in a while, when I did tonight they were scrambling out in droves.   

Anyway I scooped as many as I could back into the fire while I made a base to pound into the ground for a rebar scarecrow structure I made some years ago. I had made a new pumpkin head for it a more recent some years ago and haven't used it as of yet. So a bit of pipe to pound in the ground to plop the rebar into, and some corn stalks I cut earlier today and I should have a good scarecrow for Halloween. 

Unfortunately it started raining pretty bad so pictures to come once I get it all set up. 

Many more ideas to come but I am still in the midst of a bad cold that has lingered. 

20221012_213814.thumb.jpg.835325564c18aab472634bcb629890f3.jpg 

Yes the pipe is galvy. And no I didn't breath it in. Good chimney effect in the forge,  respirator and draft with the doors open so no fumes lingering, all was good. 

We had our mass infestation of stinkbugs years ago in my area. Started seeing them around 2009 then there were just masses of them. They had actually been on a steady decline but that seems to have plateaued. 

The orange ladybug infestation came before that and didn't last as long. 

Well I know the stink bugs start trying to invade my house at the first signs of cold weather. I often have to pull out the window air conditioners a little early or they start getting in through the crevices. They are surprising compressors and they compress down and push through small cracks rather well. They also seem to be interdimensional beings with the way they appear, disappear, or wind up different places in the blink of an eye or turn of the head and back. 

Dawn dishsoap and warm water in a spray bottle or trap seems to be their only nemesis that doesnt cause them to use their fowl smelling defense mechanism. Some rare people rather like their stink. Tho it work on me and I detest it. At one point there were so many that I just pushed through my repulsion of the odor and would vacuum them up.  Every beginning of fall now I keep a spray bottle with dishsoap and water outside on the porch at the ready to wage war on them when I get home from work. 

Just got my scarecrow up with some cornstalks tied on. Will have to get a better picture tomorrow but this is the best I could get tonight.  Man did it get cold quick tonight. 

20221013_210119.thumb.jpg.49c7eb038390c112b842ea41676feda8.jpg

The light is a 12v red LED strip from a 3rd brake light from a car. It is wired up to a 12v converter plug to 110v. 

Thanks David. 

It is funny to think that fabric on it came from a very inexpensive fleamarket find and has lasted many years outside in the elements. The original head was made of paper mache and barely lasted one halloween season but had the same style and light in it. Also the original had dried fallen sticks for hands and a ribcage. Think I might make more. At least make some Jack O latern heads from refrigerant or helium tanks. 

Still want to try out the hat idea. 

One of my standard pieces of advice to new parents is to take lots of embarassing baby/toddler pictures so that you have plenty of blackmail ammunition when they are teenagers, e.g. "Be home by midnight or your girlfriend gets an 8x10 glossy/posted on social media of this one."  It works surprisingly well.  Avoiding embarassment is one of the strongest motivators for adolecents.

Those of you with young children take note.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• 2 weeks later...