I Forge Iron

Help with dating and confirming brand

Hello all, newish to blacksmithing and iron work, built my own forge and started with a HF anvil. Sister in laws husband's grandfather was selling his tools off, and I got this. Researching it further, looks to be a trenton 127pnd. Just trying to see what the serial number puts the date at. Thanks to all, looking forward to contributing! 

20220114_110509.jpg

20220114_110514.jpg

20220114_110523.jpg

20220114_110451.jpg

9 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Just tell your spouce that if you listed it online for double the money it would probably be sold a few minutes after listing it. 

Lol, good point. I'm not selling it, I've been searching and waiting years for an anvil like this. 

17 minutes ago, Purple Bullet said:

Really nice anvil! Oh, and we won't tell your spouse you are dating online. :) 

Hahaha yeah she knows me well enough to know that I know how good I have it with her! Thanks for all the help and info everyone! Looking forward to making some metal change shape!

My wife says that the proper term for my anvils is "a harem of anvils".

If you got as good a deal on your wife as you did with that anvil you should be expecting a long and happy marriage!  (Just before our marriage and when we were poor, my wife to be encouraged me to buy a 165# Peter Wright anvil for US$100.  Our marriage is still going strong after 37 years---and several more anvils!)

11 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

My wife says that the proper term for my anvils is "a harem of anvils".

If you got as good a deal on your wife as you did with that anvil you should be expecting a long and happy marriage!  (Just before our marriage and when we were poor, my wife to be encouraged me to buy a 165# Peter Wright anvil for US$100.  Our marriage is still going strong after 37 years---and several more anvils!)

That is awesome. We hit 16yrs this month, congrats you and yours!

Trenton anvils were made in Columbus Ohio and are top of the line anvils. Yours looks like it could pass for NIB and the only thing it needs is to have hot steel hammered on it to make that face shine.

The only thing about the wife is, if she gets interested in blacksmithing like mine did, you may hear, "Oh I like that" when out junk shopping. That is my wife's way of saying get out the money she lets me carry for buying stuff. We have been married 41 years last Sept. and we both have switched back & forth with our hobbies. Fiber arts spinning & weaving, pottery, gunsmithing, blacksmithing. My wife found us the Star power hammer somehow and said lets go look at it. After a three hour drive one way it followed us home. 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Beautiful anvil, darned near pristine condition. Around here it'd get $8-10/lb. easy. Take a look through the anvil stand section of Iforge so you can get that fine old lady mounted properly and back to work. She has a couple few generations of good hard work in her.

I HOPE you bought a lottery ticket that day!

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning,

Use it and enjoy it before you modify anything. If you wish to improve on it, paint something on it's side (like Flames or Lightening Bolts or .......)  Don't change the height until you are sure you are uncomfortable. I find an Anvil that is slightly higher, quite enjoyable. If you are doing great big lumps, with great long top tools, you will want to turn your base on it's side and mount the Anvil to the base. There is no such thing as 'One Rule for everyone'

Neil

Mine is about two (of my) fingers below wrist height and it's comfortable there. You will however get to where you can work at different heights. Lower for heavy hitting or using top tools, higher for fine or finish work. 

Find what feels good.

Frosty The Lucky.