I Forge Iron

Frankenbucket

Scott NC

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A solar panel will make it fusion powered. Atomic energy YAY!

Ooh, red LED eyes , fluorescent paint and black light LEDs to illuminate it after dark. Maybe a radiation symbol that flashes on and off or better yet, gets brighter then fades. 

Frosty The Lucky.

A capacitor circuit would take care of the glowing bright and fading.  Or a programable chip but I am so out of that.  I talked about showing it's insides, I got a bunch of copper plumbing pipe scraps from my brother in law with elbows, t's and some other parts I can't identify.

Billy, I think that would be a great abby normal brain!  I will cut a hole in the side of the "head can" and put a hinge on it so it can be opened and closed to expose the workings.  Same with the rusty wheel barrow.  Hinged cover too for the insides.   To bad that generator crank is there and I'm here.  But you all give me idea's, idea's, idea's.  

Billy's crank generator got me to thinking of ignition magnetos, a wind generator type thing and sparkers or maybe small Jacob's ladders. A spark gap in a megaphone to amplify the snap might be cool.

Just a thought. . . The thoughts . . . The THOUGHTS, They're EVERYWHERE! :o

Frosty The Lucky.

That's what I was thinking of . . . sort of, I was visualizing a horizontal wind turbine like one of those roof top spinning ventilator cap thingies.

I don't think voltages does, I think it's the amperage but I don't really know. I do know they pack a heck of a wallop just barely turning over.

A faraday cage would take care of the EMP from the sparks easily enough. Have you tried tuning into your radio stations on the "I heart Radio" app? 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'll look into it "I heart Radio".  We used to listen to Coast to Coast all night long on the graveyard shift at the oil extraction plant and it was a creepy job to begin with.  Three people died badly at once there in the department I spent some time in and when the 3-11 shift went home it got wierd.   Ahh I'm just homesick today.  I miss the crop and cattle reports....

When Art Bell started having guests host more than he did I started losing interest. It was good listening, driving around my area on night shift though. It live streams and it looks like George Noory is hosting again, I don't see a listing with Linda Molten Howell hosting, thank goodness, talk about a mystic airhead. The only reason I care about her hosting is she's the reason we stopped listening at all on the road crew.

We had a couple scary plow routes, Upper Huffman and Eklutna road were the scariest till you got used to mountain driving on icy roads. AM radio was spotty on Eklutna road which made Coast to Coast even spookier. Good times.

No crop or cattle reports in NC? Hmmm, maybe there's a moonshine report. Buying stock could be a way to alleviate home sickness.

Frosty The Lucky.

The real problem is not your reception; but messing with other people's reception; the FCC can be a might fussy over that...

When I interviewed with the National Radio Astronomy Observatory for an IT job; I was asked what connection I had with the field.  I was able to truthfully say that we could see the Crawford Hill Labs where the 3 deg Kelvin background radiation from the Big Bang was found from a window in our house and I used to cross the fields where Carl Jansky "invented" Radio Astronomy to go collect fossils  in a local creek.  (He was tasked with finding out where all that radio static was coming from and used mules to pull an antenna array around the field until he triangulated where it was coming from---straight up!)

I must have quite listening before Linda Molten Howell, I had to look her up.  Moonshine and turpentine reports.... :rolleyes:  

Thomas, I google National Radio Astronomy Observatory and what do I find?  Rabbit holes... I didn't get any farther than the Flaming Fornax Galaxy, Carl Jansky will have to wait.  I have to quit checking into ifi in the morning, I'm always late and never get anything done.  As far as others reception goes, Frosty mentioned a Faraday Cage.  IDK if they work in reverse, I imagine the neighbors wouldn't mind putting them up over their houses.  

A faraday cage blocks radio waves, they aren't directional. I'd have to experiment but I think a grounded wire screen cage around the sparkers should do the trick, the size of the screen might matter, hence the experiments. The perforated sheet metal in your microwave door is part of the faraday cage that keeps the oven from cooking things down range. BUT it won't stop most cell phones from ringing, wrong frequency. 

The "proof" microwaves are inherently dangerous by calling a cell phone closed up in one is bogus evidence, not even close to "proof." 

Our microwave DOES interfere with my Bose Wi fi headphones, they DO leak radiation, is it hazardous? I can't say but I almost never have a reason to hang around and listen to it while it's heating something so I don't.

Frosty The Lucky.

I heard a story Years ago, that there was a guy who thought it was cute to hook up a linear amplifier to his cb radio in his truck drive around and mess with peoples tvs an radios in their homes 

one day he wasn’t paying attention and keyed the mike with a Leo following him..

needless to say they had a long list of fcc violations waiting for the day they caught whoever was doing it, so when they caught him they threw the book at him, 

not sure if that story was true or an urban legend since CB radios haven’t been popular in a few decades

Oh I remember when linear amps became THE thing with CBs! We used to listen to truckers ratchet jawing and sometimes one would interfere with Am radio of TV but they were usually out of tune or had a bad or weak antenna resister. Single side band was the end of linear amps.

The story of the guy deliberately blasting TV and AM radios with his boosted CB is true but from way back. I even met a guy who had a switch on his dash to bypass the resister on his antenna so he could blast people when he wanted. He thought it was fun driving through small towns and killing radio and TV reception on the way through. 

The trucker who got busted big time was widely publicized and his example provided effective deterrence and the "jokes" stopped. ABRUPTLY. He not only got tens of thousands in fines he lost his rig and CDL. The myth, maybe truth is he spent time in fed prison too but that may just have been a story. 

Might be able to find the story in past issues of CB magazine or one of the trucker mags from the late 70s - mid 80s. IIRC it was after the movie "Convoy" some of the drivers in the movie had boosted CBs. 

Dang I'm feeling old now, I still have a CB in the basement. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Not the same but when I was a kid I grew up in small town Nebraska for the most part and towns were pretty distant, 8-10 miles or so.  There was a roller skating rink in a larger city and it was a big thing to go there for kids of all the neighboring towns.  A group of us that hung around together all found girlfriends at the skating rink.  It happened to be long distance so jabbering on the phone at home was frowned upon.  Long distance....  Well, one of our "club"' members dad worked at the phone company and he managed to get his hands on a line mans phone or whatever they are called.  You clip it on the phone wires or nuts and check the line.  We all snuck out and met at the highschool and clipped that porto phone onto the phone box outside and called our respective girl friends.  Talked for hours.  We got away with it for 2 months and then they set a trap for us.  They knew the time and days of course from the phone bill.  Is scared us very badly.  People yelling, flashlights everywhere, stumbeling around, bumping into each other, cop lights flashing, chaos....  Not my proudest moment but we had a lot of fun back then.  Had to do some community service.....

Btw, what fun is killing somebodies reception if you cant see the reaction?  Kooks.

It’s my understanding linear amps are only legal to hook up to Hamm radios but I’m not really sure? 

don’t feel bad Jerry lol,

I keep a cb radio with the weather function in the shop with an antenna on the roof, an a 12v power supply for it, during tornado season I hook it up to listen for the NWS repeaters news, 

and I made a set of jumpers so I can run it off a battery bank Incase powers out too

Scott, thats hilarious! 

I to pulled some stunts during high school that landed me in the county jail an ended with community service :ph34r: Lol