I Forge Iron

Frankenbucket

Scott NC

Time them. BZZ, SNAP, crackle, lunatic laughter, BZZ, Snap, crackle and so on. Oooh, I just thought of something. A two note drum for the heart beat!

DANG, I tried finding a loon yodel call but all I find is the evening wail and warble. The yodel means a male loon is warning off a competitor or potential predator say someone in a canoe. Can't find an example and I listened to some long drawn out monologues about misty evening lakes and how beautiful loon calls are. Not one with just an example of each call. <sigh>

During mating season, nights on or near lakes sounds like a lunatic asylum at a comedy club.

Oh well. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frosty - Are you saying that materials or tools owned by a private contractor and left on a govt right of way becomes govt property? I didn't know that. I guess my years as a commercial diver has warped my sense of what's salvage and what's not. Anyway, the parish can now mow freely.:)

If the job is finished it's considered abandoned after a period of time, I don't recall but 48-72 hrs. rings a bell. If a contractor made a fuss it could be treated as littering. However, once in the state yard it reverted to private property and the owner had 60 days to claim and recover it. 

One of our regular jobs was to pick up for sale and other signs on the right of way. Most were those little printed cards on wire stands but some were beautiful, plywood sheets on 4"x4" posts, those often got picked up or ended up part of one of our projects. Campaign signs are the WORST, people planting them too often have zero respect for private property and almost never pick them up after elections. 

Right of way is an entire department with it's own staff in most places.

Frosty The Lucky.

A month after an election, I have considered any wire frame campaign sign on the public right away without a sign fair game under "litter collection".  Used to be great pickings in Columbus Ohio until a local Radio Station put on a contest to see who could collect the most right after the election.   Last big haul I got locally was when someone scrapped an unopened box of the sign frames and I bought it from the scrapyard.

I wish I had thought about those signs when I was building my Farmers Market Empire.  I used wire everywhere.  I was buying rolls of baling wire from the farm store.  Once where I worked at, the uniform company that delivered there, threw hundreds, what looked like thousands of wire clothes hangers in the metal dumpster.  I rescued them.  Ever try to untangle a pile of tangled up clothes hangers?  Whew....:)  I cut up and used a lot of them for landscape fabric pins.  

I never did understand why the threw them away.

On 5/3/2022 at 11:13 AM, Frosty said:

sounds like a lunatic asylum at a comedy club.

I listened to quite a few loon videos, and on one, at the very end I think I caught what you are talking about.  A bunch of them at once would sound like that.... :)  Could have loon yodels and the Space Kook cackle "dubbed" together for a new creepy sound sensation.....

Sounds right PB.  I don't know obvious till I stumble over it and break something.  I used those things for everything.  I had so many left when we moved I threw them back in the same dumpster they came out of.  Well, it was probably not THE same one but you know.  My "In Rust We Trust" shirt is actually rust/brown colored so I would never notice.  

Not to mention dowsing rods.  Maybe I could have straightened them and bent a handle on them and sold them on the internet.  I tried them out a few times by my well and other places.  When they start moving, you start believing.

I dunno yall, I’m pretty skeptical about water witching myself, 

I’ve met people around here who swore it works an claimed they could do it to find lost wells and water lines,

but the same people I’ve known to claim that couldn’t find their tushy with their own two hands otherwise :rolleyes:

Take Emery O. Blagdon.  Was he a savant or genuinely out there?  He was from Nebraska after all. 

Supposedly Amethyst crystal drowsing pendulums can find gold.  From a website selling them:

"This is not a toy and should not be in the hands of the wrong person."

I may order one and go around using it to see what kind of funny looks I get.

Disclaimer:  I do not believe in EVERYTHING....

My wife is very good at finding things by dowsing with rods. We had a water main line leaking. The run is about 50 feet from the well to the house and about six feet deep. I started digging at the house, following where I was pretty sure the line was because I put it in when we built the house. If anyone is familiar with the rocky ground of the Ozarks they know what a chore it is to did here.

After about an hour of digging and a lot of colorful language I finally reached the pipe where it comes out of the house basement wall. Debi came out of the house with her dowsing rods, that I had made for her out of brass un-coated brazing rod with handles that let the rods move. She started at the well and worked her way back to me. She stopped about twelve feet from me and said it's right here. I climbed out of the hole and started digging where she said to and sure enough hit the leak. She has found several items that were lost in tall grass with them also. Made a believer out of me.

847504873_waterline002.thumb.jpg.daa643a52f73fa45cba1bcb50cbf04d9.jpg

Recently I put up a fence and had to have the sewer and water located.  The fellow that showed up had a machine on wheels that he rolled around looking for things.  He came close on the location but told me the pipes were more than 3' deep.  More like 1.5' and we were careful digging the post holes in that area so no damage.  He let me run his machine for a bit.  

There was a little store in a small town near where I grew up called "Examino" and they sold metal detecting equipment, prospecting stuff and books on all kinds of strange subjects.  They also sold dowsing rods and books on the subject.  The owner claimed he could locate coins buried beneath the soil with his rods. 

I used to dowse quite a bit, especially running a thaw truck. We used a large DC welder to thaw frozen water lines. After watching the company owner search with his metal detector for about 15 minutes I bent up dowsing rods from gas welding rods and nailed it in maybe 3 minutes. Crossed the water line at the house, then walked out about 20' and crossed it again to get a line then walked down the water line till I found the key box.

Quinn, the owner laughed and told me what I was full of in a most colorful way while he kept searching. Soooo, I dung up the keybox, connected the thaw wire and dragged the ground line to the house WHILE he was still searching.

I did the same thing on the next three calls, he pronounced me trained, I dropped him off at the station and I continued on thaw calls.  He grumbled every time dowsing came up as long as I worked there. I proved it at a friend's house by locating a plastic poker chip under an area rug. I left the room so nobody could say I cheated and I did NOT look at Gary, his poker face is as closed as a glass house. 

Now I'm thinking I need to bend up a pair and go to a beach. Maybe Florida. 

Frosty The Lucky.

We're off to https://alaskaairmen.org/greatgathering/

Deb's knee is feeling good enough to do some walking and it has my favorite kind of admission. FREE.:wub:

Talk again in a few hours.

Frosty The Lucky.

Most of the flying demonstrations were Saturday though I would've loved a ride in a warbird. Deb was with me so I doubt "we" could've afforded it. <sigh> 

It was a pretty good time and there was a trial coursing rally going on on Fairgrounds property, Deb caught a ride on the parking shuttle to visit and watch. I caught up  about an hour later, talked to dog people and petted the dogs. 

Now I have to think of somewhere Deb will want to do for Father's day. 

It reminds me of living at home. Dad bought Mother a horse for Mother's day so Mother bought Dad a piano for Father's day. Deb fit right into the family, Dad fell in love with her almost immediately, maybe 2-3 emails.

Frosty The Lucky.

Me and a buddy paid for a helicopter ride at a festival once and I'd never do that again.  The thing rattled and vibrated so bad I thought a blade was loose.  I did not know something that shook so violently could stay in the air.  My friend grabbed my arm and I thought he would crush it, eyeballs all agog.   After we got out he was shaking worse than whirlybird.  I was too I guess.  

Glad you had a good time.

This is one Fathers Day I am looking forward to.  :)