I Forge Iron

Frankenbucket

Scott NC

Years ago I went for an hour ride in the traffic report helicopter, "60 minutes for $60, Hover Lover's special.) That was when money in Alaska was free enough the TV stations actually had a helicopter traffic report. It was a great ride, the pilot actually let me take the controls on the ride back to base. It was easy to fly but we weren't hovering.

A couple years ago I won a free hands on helicopter ride at the State Fair as a promotion to sell lessons. We never got more than about 20' off the ground nor left a hover. I was still a pretty fresh TBI survivor and just couldn't lighten up on the stick enough to prevent the pilot from taking the controls. I didn't touch the ground or spectators with the rotors!

Both birds vibrated and were LOUD, the smaller was worst but I wouldn't say either "shook." 

The new permanent ride addition to the State fair grounds is a roller coaster in the kid's area it has helicopter cars Billy. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the '70s when I was a young and eager US Army Lieutenant I spent a number of years as an Aerial Observer to adjust artillery fire.  When I started we had OH-13s (the kind you saw on MASH with the big bubble front and a radial reciprocating engine) which were later replaced by OH-58s (Bell Jet Rangers with a turbine engine).  Both were pretty loud but we had flying helmets which attenuated the sound pretty well.  The pilots taught me enough to fly and get back on the ground if something happened to them.  I never bent the skids but I also never set it down very gently either.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

39 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The new permanent ride addition to the State fair grounds is a roller coaster in the kid's area it has helicopter cars Billy

I never used to have a problem with roller coasters when I was a kid, but I had an unfortunate incident overseas that kinda messes with my head, going that fast an loopty loopin around now,

The coaster in the kids area isn't very fast and doesn't loop anything. We'll see if we can find a toddler to hold your hand on the ride. 

Just giving you a little friendly guff I don't push people to do things that scare them, it's too good a way to lose friends.

The biggest coaster I've ever ridden was The Matterhorn at Disneyland. I'm not a coaster fan and I ain't doing loops, cork screws, etc. on one.

Frosty The Lucky.

It’s okay Jerry! I know yer just messin!

its a long story but I think it boils down to a head injury, because it never used to bother me when I was younger, 

I tried to ride one a few years after I got out, and I realized very quickly that I didn’t need to ever be on another one! Lol

you’d have to literally push me because you couldn’t pay me to get on one willingly anymore

I can identify with TBI issues, I haven't fired up a chain saw since getting hit by the tree. I don't even like walking in the woods anymore. I don't hate it but I pend so much time watching where I put my feet it's no fun.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nah, rendering the fat out leaves very little, brain is almost all fat with some protein chains. I forget the ratio but a rendered human brain would maybe fill a shot glass. 

I was fed scrambled eggs and brains once and it was really greasy and sweet. Even if it didn't gross me out when I was told it was too sweet to meet my idea of a good scrambled eggs component. 

I'm a pinch of sage and onion in my scrambled eggs or eggs neat kind of guy. Salt and pepper goes without saying, Yes?

Frosty The Lucky.

Lolol.... Forgot about that one.  The officer of the deck would get on the ship's microphone and announce "The Roach Coach is making it's approach" (pulling up at the end of the pier) and there would be a stampede across the quarterdeck.  Our ship had lousey food..... :)

Some roach coaches served legendary good food. The number one in Anchorage used to be Benny's Food Wagon, it was always set up in the same spot and served the best Mexican food in town, bar none. Then there was a Texas BBQ "mobile kitchen", the pretentious name for a roach coach, that served terrific pulled pork, and beef, the ribs were to die for and top shelf sides. They opened a brick and mortar restaurant in Anchorage that was killer good. Then the "mobile kitchens" disappeared and within 6 months the restaurant closed it's doors to "remodel" then amazingly enough a grease fire in the long cod kitchen burned it to the ground. 

Prison sentences were accrued and much else auctioned. Something about federal and state tax evasion, money laundering, oh heck a long list. They didn't leave enough to auction to cover the utilities. Bummer, they made GREAT BBQ sandwiches and ribs. <sigh>

Does your town have a #1 roach coach and what's it's specialty? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Not my town, but we drive to Raleigh just to catch the Greek Goat.  It's about a 45 minute drive but we also go to the Farmers Market there.  A plus is, they have a huge pavillion that sells yard art.  Idea central.  Theres a local truck though that sells burritos you can have leftovers for a few days from.  7$ usd.  Too much rice but I'm starting to get hongry thinking about it.