I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I hope you were wearing a dust mask!

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

I love Brussel's sprouts, Sliced on a mandolin raw they are good as is.

Especially mixed with some diced apple, crumbled blue cheese, and an apple cider vinaigrette. 

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plenty of rodent nests in there.   I was annoyed by the shear number of layers to the walls.  The tricky part is coming.  I need to get the beams supported while opening  the area top allow for better use of space.  

Kind of a long weekend.  Sank more posts for the deck going up in the back of the house.  Digging out the holes and then mixing the cement has me really sore.  Also, Finally got the front window opened without breaking anything.  It's a heavy son of a gun.  The weights and pulleys are long gone.  Now I need to build a screen for it.

Planted some roses in the front and re-potted some Aloe Vera plants that the neighbor gave us.  They were horribly root bound.  All in all, no time for the forge.  

On that Oxy Propane setup, That's awesome!  A while back I worked as a Brazer on an assembly line building Air Conditioners.  We used Oxy-Propane.  We had Y tips on our torches to heat both sides of the piece at once while brazing copper tubing.  I saw that monster nozzle and all I could think of is how fast that could burn through thin walled copper.

Frosty, me and your dad have something in common i love me some creamed corn.

Canned veggies meant to me that they came out of a mason jar. I do miss grandma's pickled corn. 

Anyway a slow day, yesterday, finished 1 ax, got 1 heat treated and lost another. Maybe i should do some straightening up. Also mad a tremmel hook and a claw hammer. 

IMG_20210516_172446.thumb.jpg.9bf982f7b8140bad3a012b2643480d4c.jpg

Then made a corkscrew. My first attempt at one. Way underestimated just how much stock needed drawn out for the screw. Also underestimated how thin it needs to be. Learning experience, overall though even being to short and to fat it will make a nice addition to the scrap pile. 

IMG_20210516_133948.thumb.jpg.669104f964c08f10f6f8a9553eb3cfe4.jpg

2 hours ago, SinDoc said:

Worked on the honey do list

Must be that time of year. Elizabeth took the kids to visit family in ny for a week and a half and my honey do list is long. Including replastering a wall in the kitchen and repairing a rotting tiled wall in the shower. She had wanted me to redo the hardwood floors but that project will have to wait due to time and money. I bet this week and a half flies by. 

You don't mean CANNED creamed corn do you Billy? Certainly not that: starchy, over cooked corn-like flavored, paste. Ewww.  Fresh creamed corn and heck most veggies are good enough for a main course. Canned corn is fish bait for starving fish.

My Mother and Grandmother canned: jam, jelly and fruit every time something was ripe. After we moved to California they didn't keep a garden and fresh produce was everywhere all season so no home canned veggies. There's nothing like truck farm vegetable stands for right now ripe. We used to eat tomatoes like an apple they were so sweet and flavor rich. Mmmmm. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I know how you feel Daswulf. My week flew by in a flash. Got a large portion of the bathroom done. Got the plumbing finished up, AAV installed for the new line, rerouted water feeds and electrical to another wall then sealed the subfloor and drywall back up. Now the misses just needs to decide on wall color and and floor before I can go any further.

We'd love to entirely redo the bathroom but at the moment best we can afford it to repair the bad areas behind the tile and mitigate any further damage and possible mold issues. I've never really plastered or tiled so this should be interesting. Been doing some research and how to's. Funny that one video on the rotten backing behind the tile looked Exactly like my shower, same issue and same tile. 

It may be more common where you are, but I know trying to have plaster done/fixed around me is next to impossible. Its cheaper and easier to rip it all out and slap drywall up onto the boarding behind it.

We didnt have a choice with the bathroom sadly. Had to do a major drain repair which required tearing into the floor and walls. So I figured we might as well put new stuff back in while were at it. Wifes happy since she is getting to "nest" and make the house hers.

Happy wife, happy life.

Someone shared with me a few weeks ago an online real estate listing for a nineteenth century log cabin in Berkeley, CA of all places. The thing was a disaster, with sagging rafters, one corner held up by force of habit and air, and clear signs of horrible powderpost beetle infestation. (I suspect that this is why it had the low, low price of only 3/4 of a million dollars, a total steal in that part of the world.) The person who shared it with me said, "Wouldn't it be great to restore this to its original glory?" I responded, "No, you're just going to wake up the problems. It's lasted this long; leave it alone!"

It's called the mushroom effect; where you start by wanting to do a small simple change and end up in a massive remake.

I was involved in one where we wanted to put a screened in porch on the front of a small house. So we removed the 4'x4' stoop and found that termites had done massive damage. So we sistered all the floor beams with PT lumber and built a new front wall for the house.  While the exterminators were spraying for termites a windstorm blew the roof off.  As the best part of this house had been built of RR packing crates back in the 1930s? and everything else was shed roofed add ons; we framed and put a monolithic roof on the entire structure. (While the crawl space was opened up to allow sistering the beams the water pipes froze and broke many times.  Once I woke up hearing water running; jumped out of bed and grabbed the wrench and ran out to turn it off at the street. Only then did I notice that I was kneeling in snow with my arm down the water meter hole wearing only my skivvies that I slept in...)

Yikes.  There does come a point where it would be cheaper and easier to just knock the building down and start over.  

We took our problem place because we could pay cash and just use the house payment as funds for renovation.

All this remodel/renovation talk has me worn out.  I've been doing a renovation on a large barn for the past 7 weeks.  And looks like we have a week to go. But the owners have a house that needs the floor shored up in the crawl space.  On tap for Tuesday morning. :eek:  (I hate crawl spaces)  Anyway, spent the weekend finishing the straight run of privacy fence for the swimmin' pond.  And built/installed the gate using the hinges, and thumb latch that I'd made from various pieces of scrap.

Today I had more stuff to do, and errands to run, so I didn't get much forge time. But I did get the screw hole slit, and drifted on the vise jaw.   That's about it for forging anything.

IMG_20210517_131229546 (Copy).jpg

I was lucky,  most of the major stuff in the house was done before I bought it.  Electrical upgrades, plaster repair, and stuff like that.   No one has messed with the barn in several years. 

I am tempted to turn the upstairs into 2 bedrooms from the 4 or 5 they claimed.   The bathroom is tiny, it could stand to be turned into a spa with steam shower and sauna.

Yikes. Lots of stories to scare the pants off me. 

I was considering tearing the front porch off to make a deck until I found the depth of the concrete underground where I thought was just grass. This 1948 home is great but has its surprises. 

I'm now thinking the old kitchen vent that never worked is the reason moisture is getting behind the kitchen wall and causing the delaminating paint and plaster. I'll be getting the ladder out and investigating that tomorrow.