I Forge Iron

Military veterans?

Welshj

Here is a photo of me in the bush in Viet Nam, February, 1971.  In the background are the rapids of the Dong Nai River.  This is close to the to the II-III Corps boundary near the south edge of the Central Highlands.  The hardest thing for me when I look at this is to realize that it was nearly 50 years ago.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."  

1LT_Monsson_1971.odt

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for serving Chad. Sappers Lead! Just imagine a combat engineer liking to make things. Boy will wonders never cease? 

It's funny, one of the largest demographics of knife makers are wood workers who weren't happy with the available knives or prices. You're in good company!

Frosty The Lucky.

'76 - '79, IHAWK Missile Launcher Crewman 3/59 ADA, Hanau and Butzbach, FRG. Got to Battalion HQ, and when they found out I could touch type 14wpm, I became the equivalent of a paralegal.  Never shot at, and an otherwise undistinguished tour of duty during the Cold War.

Robert Taylor

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Jonathan Wells, TN Army NG 2006-2011, 11B. Iraq 2009-2010

I just joined the forum today. I've been researching and reading a lot of posts over the past couple weeks as I get things together to begin Blacksmithing again. I originally learned the basics 20 years ago when I was 16-18yrs old working at a NC State Historic Site, Reed Gold Mine, on an old navy coal forge, post vise, and 600lbanvil with stand under a couple pin oak trees. I did small demonstrations for visitors to the site and made various things for the old buildings and equipment.

Now I build furniture and cabinetry for a living and want to expand my creative offerings as well as add some forged elements into my furniture designs.

I'm starting out with a Majestic Forge 3 burner multi-purpose, railroad track (shaping into and anvil tomorrow), and a post vise that was handed down since my Great-great-great Grandfather.

Any input is appreciated and especially any tool finds if your around the middle TN area.

Have a good one!

Welcome aboard Jonathan, glad to have you. Thank you for serving, it's very much appreciated.

Before you start cutting and grinding on the RR rail take a look at Charles Stevens Improvised anvil thread. He made a number of examples of just how versatile and effective rail stood on end is. There are many options for grinding bottom tools in the web and flanges: hardy, butcher, fuller, horn, bending forks, acorn swage, etc. If you run out of room on one end flip it over and start customizing the other.

Frosty The Lucky.

The TPAAAT also works for tools.   I'm getting afraid to use it anymore; last time I ended up finding 3 powerhammer 2 blocks from where I worked and a pile of smithing stuff in dry storage  near the center of town!  Finally sold off the 248# Peter Wright that was part of that hoard as I figured I didn't need an intermediate sized anvil...

• 4 weeks later...

USAF '78-'98, Airborne Cryptologic Linguist (Korean and Hebrew languages).  Stationed Kadena, Osan, Hellinikon, Souda Bay, and Ft Meade mostly, but I got around a lot in 20 years.  My Father and five other brothers also served, I'm the only one that made a career of it.

As Robert said, welcome aboard.  Tell us more about you and the craft, your experience with it, your tools, what you like to make, your shop, etc..

I'd say this forum has a higher percentage of veterans than the general population.  Maybe there is a connection between a desire to work with your hands and a desire to serve.

George

(late of 1/C/1/12 Cav, Ist Cav Div (Airmobile), RVN, 1970-71)

Jim Anderson, SSG, USA (Ret). 1995-2015. Originally 31C, then 25C. Never made E7 (25W) because I was too dumb to spend time on advancement rather than on doing Commo.

Iraq 2003 and 2005-2006, Afghanistan 2007-2008. At various times I was stationed at Ft. Hood, Ft. Benning, Ft. Gordon, Ft. Wainwright, and Graf. 

Now I’m doing cyber security work in the private sector around Aiken, SC.

just joined the group, and happy to be here.

Thank to you all.  I'm still figuring things out, where and how and what to post.  I'm sure most of my questions are already answered somewhere on here, just have to find them.  As for me, I finally got around to my life-long desire to try blacksmithing early this year.  Steep learning curve.  All the cheapest stuff I could find, splurged for a $300 anvil and a good rounding hammer.  Worked outside all summer, now have a a 3-sided shed with a roof and walls halfway.  So far just making knives and the tools I've needed to make them, tongs, chisels, fullering tool, etc.  I've made a few knives, with good results, but until I've come to terms with heat treating and forge welding I've just given them away to family while I practice.  I'll show some pictures. I'm getting people asking for some, offering to pay, but the financial side is a whole different thing.  Short term goals have become extended projects.  For example, I have been milling my 1911 frames for a few years now, but I want to make one from damascus, with matching slide. So many ideas...

Pic #1: bought 6" damascus billet online, Hammered a tip and tang on it, HT/temper perfect, razor sharp.  My nephew cut up three deer with it, no sharpening, still as sharp as I gave it to him.  Notice I forgot to put any pins through the tang.

Pic #2:  First knife, unknown steel, still have two 8'x1"x1/8" sections.  Poor heat treat, fair edge retention.  The steel came already hardened from the Schrade Cutlery Co. in the early '70s.  Supposedly it's 1095hc, have not successfully heat treated yet.

Pic #3:  Same unknown steel, water quench, managed to grind out the surface cracks, put sawteeth to take out all but one... great edge though...

Waterfall.jpg

image000000 (6).jpg

image000000 (10).jpg

On 12/7/2020 at 2:30 PM, George N. M. said:

I'd say this forum has a higher percentage of veterans than the general population.  Maybe there is a connection between a desire to work with your hands and a desire to serve.

George

George- I'd agree... and dare to add that it might not have much to do with two primary side effects of smithing? Tools and weapons?:D and I'm liking the new profile picture btw.

When I started this thread- the primary reason was that in reading many of the threads and posts here on the forumn, I noticed alot of similarities in peoples posts. Things that stand out to other veterans... tell tales if you will.

Attention to detail, clear communication, mannerisms and peculiarities in speech...err... typing- that told me many of us were former military.

And that aspect makes us/me even more... ?? Impressed... enamored? in a brotherhood of smiths that share knowledge.

Veterans of all branches, of all countries tend to do that same thing.

One thing that is interesting that I have noticed is how other people in my life have picked up some of the military jargon that I use.  For example, my son uses "say again" as I do for "repeat" or "pardon me?"  My wife is perfectly at home with the military phonetic alphabet.

For you non-vets, "say again" is used because "repeat" is a specific artillery term meaning shoot the last target a second time.  That may NOT be what you want to happen.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

If I recall correctly, an episode of "Scrapheap Challenge" ("Junkyard Wars" in the US) included a little detail with a British Army artillery officer counting down to trigger a bodged-together cannon and deliberately skipping "five" because it's too much like "fire".

As for the military phonetic alphabet, I use it frequently to spell my last name and/or my email address over the phone, as both are frequently misspelled; this despite never having served in the military.

The use of the term "Five" could cause a serious problem, as JHCC has mentioned.

In it's place, some folks use the French word, for five namely, 'cinque' pronounced,   'sank'. or the more cumbersome Nato alphabet's,  'foxtrot'.

Just sayyin,

SLAG