I Forge Iron

Military veterans?

Welshj

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, George N. M. said:

One thing that is interesting that I have noticed is how other people in my life have picked up some of the military jargon that I use.  For example, my son uses "say again" as I do for "repeat" or "pardon me?"  My wife is perfectly at home with the military phonetic alphabet.

Here i sit, chuckling to myself over that one... my wife, a former marine- sitting next to me looking at me like I'm an idiot. Lol...

It does tend to either complicate, or clarify alot of things though...:D

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

And not "double tap"?

Thomas- in twelve years time in the military... I never once heard anyone use that on duty. Lol...

Saw it in alot of movies though.:P

Using the military/NATO phonetic alphabet is kind of a secret password to the club.  I have an unusually spelled last name and more than once when I have clarified it by saying< "mike, oscar, november, sierra, sierra, oscar, november." I have had some one, usually another veteran, ask me if I am current or former military and then the conversation moves to my and their service.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to design some knives and tools that would pay tribute to the aircraft and squadrons I flew in during my years in the AF.  I'm sure many of you have already something along those lines.  I'm hoping this would be a good place to share those ideas, and maybe get some help putting my ideas into practice.

I'm thinking of making a three layer bowie that the edge would be darker (preferably gray) and the spine/cheeks lighter (preferably white), mimicking the color pattern of an aircraft.  The handle would continue the pattern.  Then I would electro-etch the outline of the plane, in this case an RC-135, on one side, and the other side the code name (Rivet Joint). Maybe put individual squadron designators  (i.e. Quill & Key for 6916th, Bat for 6988th, Knight piece 6990th). 

What do you think? 1084/15N20 san mai, with bone and birch handl?  I'm working on the stencils for the etch.

The right place? Unsure... but close enough for me.:P

I'm the exact opposite of you- army sgt who drove heavy wheeled trucks! Lol... however I think the idea of 15n20 on the outside would give you a brighter finish, just unsure if the electro etch would be dark enough on it? For sure, a deep enough etch would give you the outline, even if you polished it mirrored... hmm.

But either way- if you send me a message with some info, and possibly a decent line drawing artwork of the plane... I may be able to help you with the mask situation, and glad to do so.

I have a 24" commercial grade plotter. I cut vinyl graphics in automotive grade vinyl. I know it works for a gun blueing, should be good for etching. 

Depending on size, and detail... we might be able to get you a decent graphic.

20201111_181357.jpg

That would be awesome!  Now tearing through my memorabilia looking for an old line drawing done by an old crewmember.  I was also playing with some free programs that will convert photos to line art.  So far I've just been putting tape on the blade and melting my initials through it with a woodburner, then etching it.  The depth of the etch is just a matter of time.  I'll PM you with some images and see what we can work out.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for different steel combinations or handle materials that might work better?

download (1).png

On 1/6/2021 at 6:46 AM, Samal said:

The search also turned up a san mai blade made from 410SS over 1095. 

Forge welding SS is NOT a trivial process, the flux is very toxic and requires specialized PPE. 

A number of bladesmith members of IFI make SS pattern welded blades routinely and a couple few have published books with specific instructions. All warn of the dangers of using flourite containing welding fluxes. 

I'm no bladesmith guy and can't suggest good components for what you wish to do but I AM into safety. I don't have so many friends I can afford to lose any if I can help it.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Point taken about the SS.  Not ready to go that route.  So far I've only made two san mai blades, so I still have some practicing to do with just the basics.  With this project I'm trying to push my skills up a level or two, but not take on too much at once.

There are high nickel alloys that etch whiter than high carbon steels for good contrast. A good salvage source are mono metal bandsaw blades The chrome in springs can make welding billets more difficult. So a nice billet combo would be 1095 and bandsaw blade. 

The nickel in the saw blades is to prevent work hardening and fatigue not increase hardness. So a mono steel blade has to use an alloy with enough carbon to make it hardenable so it'll cut wood, steel, etc. Bi metal blades rely on carbides bits silver soldered to the teeth to cut so the blades themselves have lower carbon content making for less desirable billet stock for making blades.

Thomas is fond of using bandsaw blades and pallet strapping.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

first of all thank you all for your service

i am dealing with the Persian gulf war in school and wondering if i can interview any of you who was there on your experience there if you are up to it please PM me

thank you M.J.Lampert

On 5/19/2020 at 1:16 PM, Jaegers Forge and Foundry said:

My great grandpa served in world war 2 in Normandy  France, he was shot in the side of the head and though to be dead he was then dragged to a pile of other dead body’s where they noticed that he was still moving so a medic scooped his “brain matter” back in his head and bandaged it shut he was flown to a hospital in Europe then flown to New England where he spent 2 years regaining his ability to walk, and talk and eventually was able to leave the hospital. In the end he could no longer move his left hand (he was left handed) and had a slight limp on one leg.

He received a Purple Heart award  

wow that's an amazing story to have in you history don't let your future generations forget it

• 2 weeks later...

Marine Corps, l/cpl ‘83 to ‘88. One year at Marine Barracks Concord CA/ Moffet Field for disciplinary action for punching an NCO at Infantry Training Camp Pendleton. The rest of my stint was 0351 anti tank/demolitions, weapons Company 2nd Battalion 9th Marines. Signed up the day the Marine Barracks was bombed in Beirut Lebanon.