I Forge Iron

Military veterans?

Welshj

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

U.S. Navy,60-64 Command Cruiser (uss Northampton)  radioman then switched to commisaryman to get away from a real idiot of a division officer (boot ensign right out of the academy ) did my 4 years and bailed. 40 years as blacksmith till the recession shut my shop down, then retired and wanted to do something different. so now i drive a water tanker for the wildfires in Oregon. looks like its going to be a real bad season this year. already have worked three 14 day shifts and that usually starts in august. we started in june. lots of fun.    Smokey

• 1 month later...

JMSZ, just joining the forum today.  Active duty Air Force 93 - 00, Barksdale, Osan, Beale, Osan, Beale.  00 - 20 California Air National Guard, AF Reserves and back to the Guard.  I was deployed in Kuwait on 9/11 (we got sent home, which still burns me to this day).  In Turkey in December of 02, our stay got extended and we redeployed to Iraq in April of 03 during the war.  Thanks to politics, we spent the first three weeks of the war sitting in Turkey.  Afghanistan in '07, Hurricane Irma/Maria support in St. Thomas and Puerto Rico in '17.  Retired as an E-6 because I liked what I did, so I didn't want to transfer to something I didn't like just promote and I made the mistake of trusting my chain of command...

Been interested in blacksmithing for a long while, mainly from a practical point of view, being able to make tools and stuff for around the house and yard.  I retired from the Guard last fall and now I'm taking advantage of the extra time now.

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. I like your log on, a tradition of valor.

Semper Paratus (my motto).

My Cav Squadron's was "Ready and Forward". The junior member saluted with "Ready, Sir!", the senior replied with "Forward".

33 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Will you be going to Quad-State in 2022?

not on my radar right now. Wife's dealing with MS right now.

Buffalo Soldier, you must have been with the 4th Squadron, 10th Cavalry at Ft. Carson.  I was a Platoon Leader with 1/C.1/12 Cav/ 1 Cav Div (airmobile) in Viet Nam, 1970-71.  They called us Cav but we were really grunts.  All my guys were 11Bs.  I later changed branches from Infantry to Field Artillery.

Here in Wyoming the 10th Cavalry Regiment in the 19th century were stationed at Ft. D.A. Russell (now F.E. Warren AFB) near Cheyenne and Ft. Washikie in central WY on the N. Arapahoe/Shoshone Indian Reservation.  As a result of contacts between the Buffalo Soldiers and the Native Americans there is still a family on the Wind River Reservation named Curlyhair.

Welcome aboard.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Battery outfitters has several locations, I’ll have to check with my driver tomorrow to be sure but I think that’s the area he’s driving from, but I could be wrong, 

Either way, BuffaloSoldier your kinda sorta in the same region as me an Irondragon lol, 

If you ever make it to north eastern Oklahoma your more than welcome to swing by my shop anytime! 

48 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

Buffalo Soldier, you must have been with the 4th Squadron, 10th Cavalry at Ft. Carson.  I was a Platoon Leader with 1/C.1/12 Cav/ 1 Cav Div (airmobile) in Viet Nam, 1970-71.  They called us Cav but we were really grunts.  All my guys were 11Bs.  I later changed branches from Infantry to Field Artillery.

Here in Wyoming the 10th Cavalry Regiment in the 19th century were stationed at Ft. D.A. Russell (now F.E. Warren AFB) near Cheyenne and Ft. Washikie in central WY on the N. Arapahoe/Shoshone Indian Reservation.  As a result of contacts between the Buffalo Soldiers and the Native Americans there is still a family on the Wind River Reservation named Curlyhair.

Welcome aboard.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I was with D Troop (AeroRifles) 1/10 Cav, back in '75-'79.

3 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

If you ever make it to north eastern Oklahoma your more than welcome to swing by my shop anytime! 

Thanks for the invite. I am an Okie, myself. Born and raised in Woodward and Dewey counties.

2 hours ago, BuffaloSoldier said:

I was with D Troop (AeroRifles) 1/10 Cav, back in '75-'79.

Yes, I started out as an 11B, right out of Ft. Polk, LA in Dec 1975. Was in the Reception Station when this squared away Corporal came through, looking for volunteers for a non-mech Infantry unit, that rode helicopters!! Jumped on that with both feet! We were 11B until some unknown person in the Pentagon decided that Cavalry units couldn't have Infantry in them. So we all became 19D. By the way, D Troop stood down and was stood up as HHT 4/10!

• 4 weeks later...