I Forge Iron

Standard Time is here.

SLAG

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

.  We already have evidence that it increases accident rates and heart attack risk, wile not doing a xxxx thing to reduce energy consumption.

I would have sworn I read it as saying dang. I looked for the email notification of that post but already deleted it. Accidents happen.

Pnut

Well, I'm going to let my contrarian come out and say that I welcome Daylight Savings Time.  I don't particularly mind the shift twice a year and think that the minor inconvenience is a cheap price to pay for having the daylight shifted towards the evening.  For me, I can use it at that time of day rather than in the morning.  I wouldn't mind having the sun come up at 10AM if the light would stay at the end of the day to 7PM or so.  I realize that there are folk who have to be up and about early and for them it is an inconvenience to have a late dawn but for me I prefer a late sunrise and a late sunset.

As the country urbanizes and there are more people working in offices than on the land I think that there are more folk benefited by DST.

If we eliminated the twice annual changes I'd vote for year around Daylight Savings Time.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

You should try living in Alaska George, time changes only effect drive time light for maybe 3 weeks in either case. For about 3 months it's light 24 hrs a day, the sun is only above the horizon for 20 +/- but it's light enough to read 24. Winter the sun is below the horizon almost all day for 3  months but twilight lasts longer at these lats. The sun rises and goes down at a pretty flattish angle it's actually cut by the horizon for close to an hour, sunrise at our place has it peaking in and out of mountain peaks so we get to see multiple rises and sets for a while.

Anyway, all the time changes really do here is increase traffic accidents, suicides and violent crime until the folk adjust. When Sara Palin was Gov. she changed us to 1/2 hr. changes but nobody observed them so they may still be on the books but we're back in sync with the lower 48. Were we on actual meridian time we'd be -2 hrs from Pacific, Anchorage is almost due north of Hawaii. What really made the gvt. take notice was when we got satellites in our sky and could enjoy live programming but the 6 o'clock news came on at 4 pm our time and Carson at 9 pm. I thought it was much better than seeing programming "air fresh", that's flown in air cargo on airliners, passenger jets fly a LOT more frequently than dedicated cargo planes. Air fresh: fruit, veggies, news, etc. often ran next day but often later. The 10 o'clock news often started with the morning news then the evening news.

However, that was a huge improvement from when I first got here when TV, was surface freighted, radio was the only "real time" programming so everybody listened to the news on local stations. Local news was shot here and shown at more normal times of course but TV news was often about a week after the fact. Regular programming came lower priority so Carson's monologue was two weeks late, every night, takes the edge right off topical humor.

Everybody functioned fine, griped about the time changes of course but we got along just fine.

Yeah, I know. Another long Frosty ramble but it's some back story for why I'm more than ambivalent about time changes. 

Frosty The Lucky.

George, coming from a hot desert, many businesses have a summer and winter schedual. 5:30 or 6:00 in the summer depending if you had to pick up the company truck to be on the job buy first light. No one in their right mind what a to be out from 3-7: pretty normal to come home, take a long nap and then hang out from 8-10 then go back to bed on a week day. They went so far as to offer big companies tax incentives for  business hours to spread out rush hour.

guess it depends on ones perspective, as we always just started our day about sunup, and that gave us more time in the evening. 

It's supposed to rain here tonight/tomorrow; up to a 50% chance!  Total might get to 0.12 inches and be the first rain in weeks down here; though the ski areas have already seen some snow. The local farmers always listen to the ski reports as the mountain snowpack will be the irrigation water for the next growing season.