I Forge Iron

Get " HAMMERED " at MOONY'S

I'm interested in watching the process Corin, but wont have the money for all the bits as I will probably want to make a two or three burner as we have talked about. But if you can bring a forklift tank, if available, I can get started on legs, a stand, cutting it open etc when I get home. I'm actually going to be in Picton on Saturday if that's easier, depending of course if one can be sourced that quick.

Cheers
Ian

OK Guys Just been getting some pricing together...

Basically, if you want me organize the refractory for you, (on the weekend someone volunteered to pick it up for me, I need that person to contact me, it will save building in a freight charge) for a single 9kg cylinder forge with simple fiber board door it will cost $55 for the best, 160 density wool, 1600 Deg C fine grained castable floor, ridgidizer to coat the wool, and material for the door (s) This is my cost (actually a little less because some of it I already have left over from other jobs)

I am doing a special Burner kit for the build trying to keep costs down as low as I possibly can. This price is only available for those attending Moonies this year.

Basically for a simple system, that is, High pressure regulator, cylinder connection, high pressure, low temp hose, burner, burner tube and nozzle. Quarter turn ball valve, to allow easy and quick shut off. copper tube to keep hose away from the heat $150

Total $210

Retail value about $300 +

There are several optional extras I would recommend you consider though, some will offer much better safety.

Pressure Gauge, allows you to get repeat-ability quickly and easily.
High Temperature Hose, better protection against damage.
Pilot system to allow you to drop back to a pilot flame easily.

Obviously these all add to the expense, but I would consider them all standard fare for my own forge contact me if you want a price and let me know if you want any of these add ons.

I am not going for the cheapest forge with the system I have chosen. You can save money in lots of areas if you want, but I have selected the best quality base materials to build a forge that should give you years of reliable service.... It is EXCELLENT value for money, but no, not cheap.

I'm interested in watching the process Corin, but wont have the money for all the bits as I will probably want to make a two or three burner as we have talked about. But if you can bring a forklift tank, if available, I can get started on legs, a stand, cutting it open etc when I get home. I'm actually going to be in Picton on Saturday if that's easier, depending of course if one can be sourced that quick.

Cheers
Ian

Hi Mate,

I will find a suitable bottle for you and bring it down to moonies. I won't be available on the weekend, but if you want to come down someone should be home, or I can leave it out the front, if you want to go that way.

Just let me know.

Corin,
sounds great, I can't wait.
One gas forge for me and one for Hugh. I'm also interested in the price for the optional extra kit; would make it extra great.
Do you have someone to pick up the insulation yet? I could do it this Saturday or maybe Friday arvo. I'll ring you tonight.
cheers,
AndrewOC

Basically no, such is the penalty of living in Qld, woody look on the bright side, you lot won the state of origin again this year, oh yeh and did you realise that Moonies starts in less than 48 hours, just saying. Food beer muckin about with hot stuff all weekend (well I can do that at work too, but you dont get to have beer)

Phil

Forge.... Packed
Anvil.... Packed
Tools.... Packed
Steel.... Packed....
Forge building stuff.... Packed
Camping gear... Packed
I have a full 8 x 5 box trailer and Ute (pickup for the yanks) and I know I am forgetting something..... Oh yeah! Beer! :D

See you all on the weekenbd

Had a long chat with the moon this afternoon (middle of the night down under)

He said everyone had gone to bed....

He also said he would buy the 20 or so folks there a beer from me ! (and pay for it himself, perhaps a couple of vb's consumed? :lol:)

enjoy your beer from a Brit, paid for by an Auzzy everyone :D

sounds like a lot of fun - sad not to be there!

Thanks also to Corin for his big effort with the furnace building workshop. I did'nt realise that a video was being made of the anvil forging and I don't quite know how you edited out my rather earthy coments to Moonie about his press pressures and what he could do with them. Maybe it was just muffled out with that xxxx generator noise in the background. Just spoke to the moon and told him about the vid and also told him he needs to do something better with lighting in the workshop, he asked me why? just watch the vid moon and you will see why.
Doesnt everyone forge while wearing a fez, its the height of blacksmith fashion, you watch next year everyone will have one.

Cheers all for a really great weekend.

Phil

and Lee you've had enough apple pie now son.

The 2012 "Get Hammered" was great, thanks to Moony for opening up his place & his fun tools for all to enjoy, Dale thanks to you mate, I've gained weight (and I don't think it was the beer) so its back to the diet. Cheers John.

post-1936-0-98285100-1351558553_thumb.jp

I personally found it pretty amusing when he came home and showed mum all the things he had made.

1 x hand forged knife,
1 x hand forged throwing knife
1 x mostly finished short sword

she was less than impressed, but I was pretty impressed with his first attempt at a knife. The throwing knife was pretty cool too just quietly, but that has already been "lost". Heck it beats sitting at home playing with his ipod.