I Forge Iron

Get " HAMMERED " at MOONY'S

Here is the thing, as suggested by you guys last year I am happy to put together a bit of a training session on gas forges. I don't want to be seen to be drumming up business and that is not what I am doing. I am simply coming along like everyone else for a good weekend and sharing information.

If there is sufficient interest I can give a talk covering the following topics,

LP Gas, what is it, where does it come from, and what are its physical properties.

LP Gas and Appliance (forge) Safety

Making your own forge, Australian standards and legislative compliance.

An introduction to combustion.

Types of burners and their application. (including demonstration)

Designing your own burner, key principals

Forge Design, materials and insulation, including hazards and safety

Operating a gas forge, tricks and tips for best results

Building your own gas forge.

I could run such a talk over Breakfast on Saturday and it would take 1 - 1.5 hours depending on how much detail you want me to go into. (I could easily stretch it to a half day but there is probably no need for that)

Afterward I would be willing to assist anyone who wants to build their own forge. We should be able to have forges of simple design, and not using too much cast able refractory made on Saturday morning, and firing and tuned on Sunday.

I could and am happy to supply any component to build any forge of your own design, but for simplicity sake It would be easier to make up forge building kits. I can source all gear at wholesale prices and will pass those prices on directly to anyone that wants to take advantage of them. I have no intention of making a profit from this and it is likely to cost me money. This offer is only for those who attend Moony's this year, and gear will be made available there for collection.

I could also make myself available to work on anyone's gas forges, do tune ups and check combustion (I can bring down a carbon monoxide meter and do safety checks also.)

Looking forward to catching up and making a few punches and tongs this year

If people are interested in making a forge please contact me via personal message, and I will supply a component list and individual pricing on the equipment you request, so you can compare my pricing with your own suppliers. I would be happy to discuss forge design at that time also.

He normally doesnt run it for hammered as it makes a lot of noise, and moonie worries about that. On a different subject, we are looking at having a day or to at my workshop in August sometime Corin, would you be interested in coming to that, I have a working lathe, for you to show guys how to make burners etc.
Dont have a concrete date yet just the general feel is sometime in August. Will keep people in the picture as it gets closer.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh AoC is Andrew OConnor, he is a trade trained blacksmith who is working as a librarian, (go figure), (sorry Andrew, the irony is not lost my son).
The tradition tools forging day is held at Sydney Maritime Museum whick is at Roselle which is basically under the ANZAC bridge, which is just west of Sydney city it's self. It is being held on the 24th of June which for all you aussies is also the Sunday before Ultimo TAFE blacksmiths block release week. so its possible some of you will be in Sydney any way and at a loose end on Sunday anyway.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Dale, would it be possible to move the Get Hammered thread to Blacksmiths groups or something, it keeps getting swallowed up now that its been moved. This may help Aussies who dont know about it, those of us who do can click "follow this topic" at the top and be notified when somethings posted.

Cheers Ian

Drewy

26 th , 27 th , 28 th Of October 2012

As yet whereis/ Google maps don't show MOONY'S rd

And ta get from Braidwood ta Glenn's

Drive through town , go straight instead of left to Batemens Bay
Follow the signs to Cooma on the Cooma / Captians Flat rd

About 10 km's out of town ( about 1 km after Jinglemoney rd ) u'll find Burkes Hill Rd on the right
I'll " try " ave'a sign on the cnr & 1 at Glenn's gate

Then it's up the track , past the house through the gates , over the hill & down ta the workshop .... SIMPLE :)

Dale Russell

Up the track, bear left through the gate as you come to the house / domestic site & follow the track down to the smithy.

Dale, you forgot how confused we were the first time we arrived @ Moony's. Remember we thought his garage shed was his smithy? :D

Yeh and don't turn off at the driveway before BurkesHill Rd thinking that that is Moonies, the bloke next door to glenn must be getting sick of every October all these cars driving up his driveway around to the back of his house into his back yard then down the other side and out onto the road again, I know of about 5 blokes that have done it me included.

Craig eat more carrots mate, if you see me at our shed I can tell you where to go, I mean give you directions. Its not all that hard.

You drive to Braidwood go to the end of the main drag and turn right on Captains Flat road for 10 Klm, turn right into Burks hill Rd, drive to the end( very short road) where there are two gates in front of you, go in the one on the left, drive up past the house to the left, go past gate and keep to the left dirt road which will take you down to the engine room. How easy is that!