I Forge Iron

Quenchcrack on his back

Quenchcrack

My prayers are with you, and the Dr., I am going to be in your position one of these days, I just keep hoping I can hold out long enough that the technology advances to the point they can repair discs with high success rates and make it so we can still lead our normal lives afterward, I have 3 herniated.
Fusing discs isn't as risky as some spinal surgeries but any time your getting surgery there are risks. The biggest thing I have learned from my surgeries is don't rush recovery, it can just end up taking longer to recovery.
Good luck!
Will be looking forward to hearing how well your doing in a couple of weeks.

welder19

Bob, as with the others, wife and I will be praying for you AND the DRs. HE (GOD) is the GREAT PHYSICIAN. The WORD states where there are 2 or more 'gathered in MY NAME, I will be with them and answer their prayers.' At last count there are more than 2 gathered here praying for you. Let us know how you are doing when you can.

OK, despite the best efforts of ol' Slewfoot, the power of God prevailed and I am whole again! Surgery was on Monday and took 3-4 hours. I was released Thursday at noon. Got a nice souvenir just under my belly button and one in the small of my back. Now, I have a high tolerance for pain but had I known what this would involve, I might have hesitated. I'm glad I didn't of course but dang! That Smarts! The good news is I can walk without pain and that is the payoff. I could not imagine a retirement where I could not brouse the flea markets looking for rusty iron. Anyway, my heartfelt thanks to all of you for your prayers and support.

QC

I think I had the same thing done a couple years ago. Not sure which two vertebrae it was, mine was done by going in through the neck. I had instant relief and enjoyed my three day vacation. Makes you feel like a new man. That was the only time I had ever been cut on purpose. Good luck.

My surgery was in my lower back area. First they made a 3" long incision under my belly button. They pushed my guts aside and went through to the spine where they removed the disk between L4 and L5. Then they flipped my over and made a 4" long incision over my spine. They bolted two stabilizing arms onto my spine with 3 screws each. Finally, they grafted bone onto each wing of the vertebrae to further stabilize the area. Smarts a bit right now but God Bless Vicodin and Valium. The worst of the pain was getting my digestive system working again. Thought I was going to explode.

Just to inspire good lifting techniques. I injured my back when I was 24 and live with it until now (61). It will cost my insurance company about $200,000. Take care of your back, the repairs are expensive and painful!

Edited by Quenchcrack