I Forge Iron

Quenchcrack on his back

Quenchcrack

I just hope they used some Loc-tite on them screws! No, I didn't forge the two splints, they were some kind of special medical stainless steel made not to corrode in the human body. Spent about 1/2 hour walking around Wally World yesterday and had no sciatic pain at all. I almost cried for joy! I can't wait to hit the flea markets!

Quenchcrack, I am very happy that you had good results with your surgery. I will continue to pray for your full recovery. Take your pain meds and don't be a hero, follow the DRs orders, and work your butt off in physical therapy. I had the same surgery 3 months ago, except at L5-S1 (one lower than yours). They pretty much removed the whole disc, plus removed a bunch of bony growths where both of the sciatic nerves exit the vertebra. I had instant relief in one leg, and also the burning pain in my lower back. However, the sciatic pain in the other leg initially got even worse. It has now subsided tremendously and I am almost pain free most days. Much like you I hurt my back when I was 22, but didn't get it fixed until I was 41.

I believe that God has given us both a new lease on life, at least that is how I am approaching it.

God Bless and God Speed,
Steve

How long did they keep you in the hospital? I was there for 5 days. They didn't start my physical therapy for a month. Before that I just walked like you are. It sounds as if you had a better go of it than I did. Maybe it is because of all the extra grinding around I had done, or because of what level on the spine it was at.

Thanks for the prayers,
Stevo

Quenchcrack, I hope you recover fully and soon.

I'm pretty sure my dad will soon be undergoing a similar operation. i think its L3 through L5 thats messed up on him. he could sit all day without pain but standing or laying down is impossible for him (at least without pain shooting down his legs) is that similar to what you went through? he's about to turn 71 and refuses to listen to anyone including the Dr's telling him to slow down.

Slob, I could sit but walking and sometimes lying down gave shooting pains down my left leg. I was in hospital for 3-1/2 days and the worst part was getting my bladder and bowels to work again. I went in to see the surgeon today, 10 days later, walking with NO PAIN. I was told I am healing up just fine and now own some genuine exotic titanium jewelry in the vicinity of my poop schute. You figure out how to fix that one, Glenn :-) I fell better than I have in years and the longer you wait, the more difficult it is to recover.

Slob, keep after him. Quench is right that the longer you wait the harder it is to recover. Also, if the nerves get compressed enough there can be permanent damage. The surgery would prevent things from getting worse, but then not alleviate the current symptoms.

Quenchcrack, maybe we should change your name to "Bioniccrack" ;~).
We both need notes from the doctor now before we fly so that they don't think we are smuggling hand grenades in our heinies!

My surgeon said he used to give cards to all victims, er, patients who had metallic implants so the Air Port Security People would not shoot them on site. The new hardware is made of titanium and apparently does not set off the bells and whistles like the old stainless stuff did. Good thing. My scar starts about 4 inches above my butt crack and runs right into it. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to ask the Security Agent if he wants to see my scar!!! Houston, we have another Moon Shot!

Edited by Quenchcrack