I Forge Iron

OK, here goes

I been watching from the sideline for some time now. I stay pretty busy so could never find time to join up. My doctor made sure I had plenty of time when he removed a large tumor from my bladder Wednesday. So while I'm laid up, y'all stuck with me. ;) 

I was just starting to get into hot metal when I started getting sick. I have my grandfather's anvil from the early 1800's. It's in pretty bad shape but still useable. I have an improvised anvil I made and a charcoal furnace I also made. The furnace will be either modified or replaced. It's just not as good as I thought. Maybe in a couple of weeks I will feel like swinging my hammer. Lord knows, I need the practice.

So, now that y'all know I'm sick, you have to take it easy on me. Right? :ph34r: 

Oh, I did read the sticky. Then read it again, and will probably read it several more times along with a lot of other useful information in this forum. Heck, y'all may never hear from me again if I read everything in IFI. That's a lot of reading. :blink: 

Looking forward to learning more.

Glad you de-lurked. Welcome aboard. 

I'll only pick on you a little, I think you mean charcoal "forge" not furnace. It'll help with the search terminology. No biggie. :)

hope you heal up fast and get to hammer some steel soon. 

We do tend to be specific on terminology as we all want folks to understand what we are saying.  Jargon allows folks to make very specific answers to questions without confusing things; learning the jargon for a particular area of interest is part of getting into that area of interest.

For instance:  What colour is "cherry red"?  Many people assume it's is a very dark red almost black like Bing cherries.  However when that term gained common usage in blacksmithing it referred to pie cherries that are a bright orange colour. *Many* hundreds of degrees hotter when you are looking at steel in a forge!

• 3 months later...

Well folks, I'm still around. Reading pretty much every post. I still have a lot of questions but we'll get around to that someday.

For now I'm asking for prayers.

I told you in my initial post about the tumor in my bladder. Today was supposed to be my second surgery to clean up before treatments. My doctor had to remove 2 more tumors today so treatment is out. For now anyway.

I'll know more next Monday but looks like removal is going to be my next step.

So please keep me in your prayers. And, if anyone has had a similar experience I'd like to hear your story.

I'm planning to whip this. Losing is not an option. I've got most of the material to build a JABOD forge. Just need to feel well enough to do it. With your help and GOD'S will I'll be forging soon.

Maybe there's a member nearby that can come set up the jabod for you so all you have to do is light it up and get to forging. Unfortunately I'm in northern Kentucky or I'd be more than happy to do it. 

You'll be in my thoughts. Keep up the fight.

Pnut

Right on pnut. And Randy, you can always talk about things with us. Lots of ears and open hearts here. My Dad had lung cancer and it was a long ordeal. Unfortunately, it got the best of him BUT, it was only because he finally gave up. As long as he had the will to fight against it, he did well and was still able to work and enjoy my kids. You've got the fight in your spirit you need and that will help you kick this thing to the curb. We are all standing with you and me and my husband will keep you in prayer. 

Thanks everyone. It helps to know I have friends out there who care.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad CGL. I lost mine to multiple miloma some years ago. Dads are where we get the answers to our questions.

I don't know of any members close by but that's ok. I'm looking forward to the project. I've had everything for some time now but just didn't feel good. I had a burning in my bladder and couldn't stay on my feet more than a few minutes at a time. My doctor said it was the chemo that was injected in my bladder during the first surgery. Yesterday he found a red irritated bladder and more tumors. He removed the tumors and scraped the bladder walls. Even though I had surgery yesterday, the burning is gone and I feel better than I have in over a month. I'm not going to over do it but I am going to take advantage of the situation. B) 

Keep praying. Its working. :) 

You're on my list, Randy. Fight the good fight please, we're all pulling for you.

If you put a closer location in your header there might be a member within visiting distance. Having a JABOD ready and waiting to be lit might help spur your fight. Hmmmm? I wish I were close enough.

Frosty The Lucky.

I wish you were closer too Frosty. However you are close enough that your prayers and kind words are felt.

I know of a man about 35 minutes away that does some blacksmithing. Now that I'm feeling better I plan to pay him a visit.

I've been meaning to ask. What's up with the moose? 

1 hour ago, Randy Griffin said:

I've been meaning to ask. What's up with the moose? 

S/he was eating buds from trees I'd cut, the main pile is out of sight. Deb snapped it and moose are pretty Alaskan forest so I put it up.  We keep our distance and get along. We've been here 20 years and there are maybe 8 generations of moose who have been local residents. It's pretty cool, pregnant moose mama to be sticks close to the cleared land for easy eating, gives birth back in the woods where it's private and one day mama moose is walking around with new born calves. The family sticks around enough to sight a few times a week till she drives the calves off at about 2 years. The calves hang around and grow up, get pregnant and so on.

I've thought about notching an ear or something but I'm not getting close to any moose and while I could shoot a hole in an ear without damaging one Its not interesting enough.

Frosty The Lucky.

Dear Randy,

Welcome aboard.  My best friend beat bladder cancer a couple of years ago.  It can be done.  Your attitude sounds good and that is a large part of making it through the chemo and misery.  The IFI community, although we are scattered across the globe, is very supportive.  Once you are up to it I suggest you join the Alabama Forge Council.  Or another local group.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thanks George. Yes, it can be beat. Even if, in my case, we get rid of the source. I was actually looking forward to the treatments. I was going to get immunotherapy instead of chemo. I really wanted to be a success story for the treatment. I don't think that is an option now but that's ok, I'll do whatever it takes to survive.