I Forge Iron

Building coal supplier list.

Im in the same situation as you Sidney. I got my 5-70 pound bags a few weeks ago and i had a chance to play with it. It burns hot and clean, cokes very easy but there is more clinker produced than i like. Smells like sweet motor oil burning, Its low sulfur because the smoke is grayish black.. 30 bucks a bag would be fine but 60 bucks a bag it comes to 340 bucks for very little coal, Totally dissapointing, Wallet busting price. I admit its good coal though.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just came back from Sidney Lee welding supply in Hampton Ga. they started carriing coal in 50 pound bags. the label says Kimmels Premium Bituminous Blacksmith coal from Wiconisco Pa $15.30 a bag . they said it would be all three stores I.E. Hampton, Conyers, and Macon:D

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Washington, and this is the only place that I called that still sells coal. They charge $0.09 per pound, that's $180 per ton. They call it Utah Stoker, but I'm not sure what kind of coal it is or how well it burns. I'm still burning charcoal.

Central Fuel Heating and Cooling Inc.
1945 S. Market Blvd.
Chehalis, WA 98531

Local: 360.748.8808
Toll Free: 1.800.574.4107

Email: centralfuel@localaccess.com

For UK based smiths from Blacksmiths Guild's Useful addresses list

Symonds & Son Clannaborough Barton, Bow (nr Copplestone) Devon EX17 6DA
01363 772736

Jefferys Fuels, Bovey Tracey, Devon Tel 01626 832250

C.Rudrum and Sons, Coal Terminal No3, Royal Edward Dock, Avonmouth, Bristol. BS11 9BJ Tel 0117 982 8777

Mobbs The Coal Depot/London Rd, Wheatley, Oxford, OX33 1JG Tel01865 872691

R & H Bengry. Station Yard, Kingsland Station, Kingsland, Leominster, Herefordshire HR6 9SF Tel: 01568 708434

Current (May 2009) prices expect around

Edited by John B
Price added

There are so many pages to go through as it's really hard to have time to search each and every one to find a supplier near me.
I would like to know if anyone is making a list of suppliers with in states or regions to help make finding someone easier? If so I would like a copy please.
Bill P

• 1 month later...

In the Asheville, NC area;

Grace Fuel Company, Inc

1490 Merrimon Ave, Asheville, NC 28804-1304

Contact Phone: (828) 252-6401

$13.50 for 50# bag, $306.00/ton. 3/8"X1" size stoker.

I've used this coal and it's good stuff. The lady I just talked to was unsure of its origin but if you ask for Wayne he can tell you.

• 2 months later...

Dennis coal is coming from Kentuckey now and is at $17.00 a 50# bag, they are going through a broker now to get their coal. I have known Dennis's for many years and unless they have just made a trip to get more coal this price is correct. I will call them tomorrow and find out it's a local call for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Monte Vista Fuel & Feed
3155 Agua Fria
505-474-6717
Coal comes from out of state, probably Colorado. It is in large chunks mostly, but it will turn to coke. We break up some of it with a tamper, but by surrounding the fire with the large pieces, the pieces will get hot and fractionize. With your fire rake, you can chip small pieces of coke into the fire. Presently, $100 + tax for a front end loader full. They will bag it; I'm unsure of the bag price. There are a few rocks mixed in.

"Please send the coal and rocks separately; I'll mix 'em when they get here."
Post card sent to coal company byTom Bredlow

Edited by Frank Turley

• 10 months later...

MTForge named this company but here is the rest of their information

City Coal Yard

116 North Depot Street

Brazil, IN 47834-2112

Phone: 812-878-9859

Coal yard is just a couple blocks off of US40 in Brazil, Indiana. Also easy to find from I70 take State Road 59 North to US40 turn left (west), once at the traffic light with the Speedway gas station turn right and the coal yard is on the left. For best results call ahead to be sure someone will be there.

As of about the end of June 2008 a 50 pound bag was $14 or $10 per 100 weight loaded into your truck or trailer.

City Coal Yard has now moved to Riley, IN and is no longer selling smithy coal... so it can come off the list.

I found a supplier in Southwest Va but he is retiring and may no longer supply coal after the the first of the year (2011).
Reginold E. Brothers Co
313 Riverview Drive
Suffolk, VA
757-539-2341

It is bituminus and burns really well. You can get it in bulk or bagged. Doesn't deliver. I think I payed @ $5 for a 40lb bag.