I Forge Iron

Building coal supplier list.

I see Rick Barter beat me to the punch here with the Cumberland Elkhorn information. Yes, their price just jumped from $240 / ton to $500 / ton. That price is good for all coal you bag yourself or that they put in your truck with a loader. They sell bags for $1. They sell pre bagged coal for $16 for 50 pounds.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MTForge named this company but here is the rest of their information

City Coal Yard
116 North Depot Street
Brazil, IN 47834-2112
Phone: 812-878-9859

Coal yard is just a couple blocks off of US40 in Brazil, Indiana. Also easy to find from I70 take State Road 59 North to US40 turn left (west), once at the traffic light with the Speedway gas station turn right and the coal yard is on the left. For best results call ahead to be sure someone will be there.
As of about the end of June 2008 a 50 pound bag was $14 or $10 per 100 weight loaded into your truck or trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

This is were I have been getting my coal lately.Aubuchon Hardware they are located throughout the north east.
The coal is $7.97 for a 40# bag This is blacksmith coal and not heating coal, its good stuff.
The SKU or order ID number is 101755
The link below has a store locator on it and you can type in the SKU# and get the correct price.
Aubuchon Hardware

Lazzari Fuel Company, P.O. Box 34051, San Francisco, CA 94134

Physical Address: Lazzari Fuel Company, 11 Industrial Way, Brisbane, CA 94005

Telephone: 415-467-2970 or 800-242-7265

$21 for a 50 lb bag of good coking blacksmithing coal

In Texas, just SE of Ft Worth, SW of Dallas,
Texas Farrier Supply
603 S New Hope Rd
Kennedale, TX 76060
(817) 478-6105
I think I paid $360/ton in "supposedly" 50LB bags. Lot of clinker in the last batch I got. Supposed to be "from Kentucky".

In Oklahoma, Saltfork Craftsmen ABA
Saltfork Craftsmen Club Coal (from their web site and/or July 08 newsletter) as of 8/10/2008:

Club Coal
Saltfork Craftsmen has Arkansas coal for sale. The coal is $95/ton to members and $145/33non-members. Bring your own containers. Contact Tom Nelson at
1-580-862-7691 to make arrangements to pick up a load. DO NOT CALL AFTER 9 P.M. If you make arrangement well in advance, Tom can load your truck or trailer with his skid steer loader. Otherwise you will need to bring a shovel. The coal can be weighed out at the Douglas Coop Elevator scales. The coal is in large chunks; bring something to break up the coal into manageable size pieces.

S/C Region coal location: Coal is in 1-2

this is from the pen keystone coal company

I just found those i think i'm gonna buy from there, is it good?

From the Pocahontas #3 seam, mined in SE West Virginia. Soft coal hand cleaned and loaded.

As Received Specs:

Size: Pea 1 x 3/8 or Nut 2"
Moisture: 1.48%
Ash: 7.12%
Sulfur: .75%
BTU/lb: 14,373
BTU/lb: 15,724 (dry, ash-free)
Volatile Matter: 18.63%
Fixed Carbon: 79.62% (dry ash-free)
Free Swelling Index (Coke Button): 9
Lbs sulfur per million BTU: 0.52

Coal analysis report by Geochemical Testing, Somerset, PA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANTHRACITE BLACKSMITH COAL

Some smith's prefer hard coal from eastern PA for it's high carbon content in their smithing applications. Please email for pricing.

Dry Specs:
Size: Pea 3/16 x 9/16 or Nut
Moisture: 5.49% (as received)
Ash: 9.58%
Sulfur: .59%
BTU/lb: 13,451
BTU/lb: 14,876 (dry, ash-free)
Volatile Matter: 4.36%
Fixed Carbon: 95.17% (dry, ash-free)
Ash Fusion Temp: 2,700 F
Lbs sulfur per million BTU's: 0.44

Coal analysis report by GeoChemical Testing Somerset, PA.

Edited by draper84
specify place

Blacksmith Coal, 40 Lb
Aubuchon Hardware stores in Newengland and upstate NY can carry this coal. While it is not the best coal around it does the trick and if you have several smiths in your area they should have it on hand.
I just a did a week of demos at the local fair 7 hours a day for 7 days and used only 2 1/2 bags. It does coke well. I am using a small rivet forge.
Firegnome

For Ontario Canada;
Thak the Blacksmith
2282 Floradale Rd.
Floradale, ON.
N3B 1V0
519-669-0721

70lb bag of quality blacksmithing coal
$30.00 per bag
(price changes if you buy bags in bulk amounts)
(shipping requires a 5 bag minimum)

I priced out Thak's coal from a local Home Hardware (they are distributors) for $50 in less-than-full pallet quantities.

The Gurnsey Brothers Trucking in Schylerville NY near Saratoga Springs has blacksmithing coal for $18 per 50 lbs - they also sell normal coal you can then break down yourself for around $240 per ton - I have been told the blacksmithing coal is a hit and miss in the past - but so far it is burning very well with hardly any clinkers - I'll post after the next bag if any change.