I Forge Iron

Building coal supplier list.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
The Gurnsey Brothers Trucking in Schylerville NY near Saratoga Springs has blacksmithing coal for $18 per 50 lbs - they also sell normal coal you can then break down yourself for around $240 per ton - I have been told the blacksmithing coal is a hit and miss in the past - but so far it is burning very well with hardly any clinkers - I'll post after the next bag if any change.

I believe it is Garnsey. 518-695-3346.

• 3 weeks later...
I priced out Thak's coal from a local Home Hardware (they are distributors) for $50 in less-than-full pallet quantities.

it used to be 24 bucks a bag till he bought that fuel company... now that sucks to hear.... seems everywhere you turn theres price gouging lately...:mad:

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

You know I was just thinking that maybe building a list this way might be doing it backwards.

Does anyone know who the major mines selling softcoal are? (I know of Reading and Pocahontas) Contact THEM and ask them for a list of who sells their soft coal. This way you only have to get lists from 6-10 mines instead of looking for 100's of little sellers around the States.

• 3 weeks later...
I priced out Thak's coal from a local Home Hardware (they are distributors) for $50 in less-than-full pallet quantities.

I attempted to go through my local Home Hardware at first and they looked at me like I had two heads when I asked them for blacksmithing coal. They did a supplier search on Thak and came up empty. According to Robb at Thak's you should have your local store contact Todd Cressmans dept in purchasing at head office in St Jacobs. Once I realized that Thak was just under an hour away, I gave up on the Home Hardware idea and just took a drive out directly. Apparently it is advisable to call or email ahead if picking up in person.

• 1 month later...

Paul, you asked if red anthracite is good for smithing. It works just fine. I am assuming the red anthracite is the same as what we call red ash anthracite here in Pa. I was told by a coal dealer that the red ash is the deep mined coal as compared to white ash anthracite which is strip mined. There is also a pink ash. I would assume that is located between the white ash and red ash veins. I have used all three types with satisfactory results. I have found the red ash to be my favorite because it gives less ash than the other two types. The only thing with anthracite, don't look for coke. It goes right from burning coal into ash. The nice thing, no smoke and no smell. Right now I am using pink ash and with the air cut back on my electric blower I am having very little clinker problems. However, when I put my larger blower on the forge to do heavy stock, it doesn't matter what coal I use, I get some dandy clinkers.