I Forge Iron

How many anvils do you actually need ?

I guess I wash out feeling that one anvil is sufficient, but 2 anvils is better.  As I accumulate more hardy tools, I like having a second anvil to just use for the hardies.  I really get having 3 anvils if you do demos.  You need a smaller traveling anvil to do that.  So:

• Hobbyists 1-2 anvils, 3 if you do demos
  • Full-time  or Long time smith as many as needed
  • Newbies 1 is sufficient for starting out
  • Collectors as many as your floor joists or concrete floor will support 

I personally would hate to see an anvil not get used.  

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

MCH: my Blacker Fisher anvil has 2 hardy holes. I have one sleeved to 1" for regular hardy tooling and leave the other at the full 1.5" for hardy tools I have made specifically for it.   Really handy for production work requiring multiple tools!

Very nice, I would love 2 hardy holes and can see a lot of good uses for that.

Like most I have chased a better and bigger anvil over the years. I have had some nice ones. Sold them. What I learned in my journey was two fold. One, the anvil does not make the smith. Two, once you add power hammers, presses etc. the anvil becomes a very stylish table on which to pile stuff most of the time. My main anvil is now a block of die steel. I guess what I have learned is if you are a collector, chase anvils. If you are a smith, find something bigger than your hammer and get after it. So with all that typing,

1 anvil..... :D

On 12/18/2018 at 8:40 AM, Daswulf said:

didn't know that my main anvil was a Trenton for years. Finding out didn't change it's usage or usability

My experience as well. I'm not a collector, and I've never, till the internet, known many of the manufactures

15 hours ago, marcusb said:

once you add power hammers, presses etc. the anvil becomes a very stylish table on which to pile stuff most of the time

Not for me. The addition of my 25# lil giant and my 25# treadle did not remove or replace my anvil. They all are primary tools with very needed abilities. 

If I had to limit myself to primary needed tools, it would be my shop anvil, the two power hammers my post vice and forge setup. 

3 hours ago, anvil said:

Not for me. The addition of my 25# lil giant and my 25# treadle did not remove or replace my anvil. They all are primary tools with very needed abilities. 

If I had to limit myself to primary needed tools, it would be my shop anvil, the two power hammers my post vice and forge setup. 

Do you use tooling under the Little Giant? 

I cheat....my power hammer also contains an anvil..... :D

I do use tooling with both hammers. 

No such thing as cheating.  ;)

Generally speaking, I use the treadle to separate mass, the lil giant to forge these masses, and my hand hammers  and anvil to  clean up transitions, straighten, and to create the finish I want.

Pretty general.  

Good Morning,

The correct answer is "Not One". Any number above that is acceptable. There is a HUGE difference between 'Want', 'Need', 'Can Use' and 'Just Because'!! No reasons or excuses will change the fact that "It was sitting by itself and looked Lonely".

Enjoy the Journey!! There is no Destination!!

Merry Christmas,

Neil

from a making money standpoint, if you only need one, then one... If you can more money and get more done with 10 anvils, then 10. Whatever gets the job done faster.

From a collectors point of view, 1 is too many, 100 is not enough.

I got a block of hardened steel; 15 inch long; 5 x 5 inch square lying next to the forge. Initially I figured; when it gets really cold in my workshop; I'll light the coal forge and use it as stove. Then i figured; the more mass heated up would mean more residual / IR heat; cq when i'm working on my work benches, I have my back towards the coal forge (nice 'n cosy) - which makes sub zero temperatures more bearable. 

Later I found I was using the block a lot to do small stuff; to save me the 3 steps towards the anvil :D . It's been lying next to my coal forge ever since; and I had a buddy of mine drill a 2 inch, a 1,5, a 1 and a 0,5 inch hole in it. Verrry handy having a anvil a foot away from the forge.

mvg; Bart

I do almost everything on one, but it’s nice to have the striking anvil/portable hole available for certain tasks, especially holding other tooling and drifting holes bigger than the 7/8” square hardy hole on my Mousehole (aka The Undisputed King of Anvils).

15 hours ago, BartW said:

; to save me the 3 steps towards the anvil

Why is your anvil so far away from your forge? My setup is a triangle and both my post vice and my anvil are only a step away from my forge.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I've never come across a situation where I've needed to modify my forging triangle by introducing another anvil for any reason. 

All my anvils, portable and permanent are the same height. I mean they are set for me and I'm certainly not going to change my anvil height going from my 2.5# hammer to my 10# one.

A striking anvil implies a striker working on my anvil and striking for me., and when in my shop, you will strike as I show you, and there is no need to vary the height.

And no, for me anything on my forge besides coal, coke, and the irons I'm heating would just be in the way. 

I do use my forge as a stand for longer irons for my anvil. 

I just see no advantage to playing musical chairs with anvils. Especially when space is critical.

Truth be known, the only time I ever have another anvil setup in my shop is when i have someone working for me,,, and not as a striker.

57 minutes ago, anvil said:

Why is your anvil so far away from your forge? My setup is a triangle and both my post vice and my anvil are only a step away from my forge.

Yup, I get that question a lot.  There is an answer to it too. I don't have a space issue - my workshop is  about 6 yards x 12 yards floorspace. With a simple steel roof; in the middle more than 6 yards high. The tips on either side aren't closed; so there's always a light breeze about 2 meters above my head. So no need for smoke evacuation; chimneys... My coalforge is actually mounted in a "hot table"; and that is mobile. I also have a gasforge which is also on wheels. So I can put my forge being used right next to the anvil if I wanted to. My forge is basically the center of a cube / rectangle; with 2 corners being 2 anvils; and the 2 other corners being a workbench with a large post vice on each. I basically move the hot table or gasforge to the side I need it most when I'm doing something specific. It's simpler than moving the anvils which are more then 200 pounds each; with an equally heavy wooden block as foot.

However; this setup shines when gives classes ... people don't bump into each other; people don't burn each other with a piece of hot metal ... and you can keep a nice overview of what everyone is doing.

mvg; Bart

P.S. I attached a picture ... below the lamp behind those two guys is anvil 1; you can see the "hot table" with the gas forge sitting on top of the coal forge. That whole table is on wheels. The other half of my shop - not in this picture - is structured the same way. anvil in the center, also about 3 meters away from this table. The yellow "block" is the anvil-ish tool that stays next to the forge.

611e369e-4829-4c05-8624-c47417273958.jpg

7 minutes ago, BartW said:

So I can put my forge being used right next to the anvil if I wanted to

So why set your anvil 3 steps away? You wouldn't have to bend over and pick up that block of steel.  ;)