I Forge Iron

Show me your Fire Dragons

Glenn

I hadn’t thought of raising the forge, but now that you mention it and I look more closely at the picture, it is a good idea. I am still new to blacksmithing and am in the experimenting phase (trying different tools, methods, etc). I bought a hand crank blower this year - and like it better (better fire control ) verses the small squirrel-cage electric blower I had. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PhDf,  I have never heard of any rule of thumb for the height of a forge other than what seems comfortable for each individual.  My 2 solid fuel forges are at the height they were manufactured a century or more ago and they seem to work well for me at 6'2".  I mounted my propane forge rather higher, about lower chest height, so that I didn't have to bend over very far to look into it.  

I would say that a hand cranked blower should be high enough so that you don't have to bend over to keep your hand on the crank handle at the bottom of its stroke.

I agree that a hand crank blower gives better fire control than an electric blower, even with a rheostat adjustable control on the blower.  Some folk like them and some have shoulder or arm problems that preclude a hand crank but that is what I learned on and what is most comfortable for me.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thomas and George: I appreciate your suggestion about trying a higher forge height. I am 6’1” and the forge is setup currently at the height it came. I’ve only worked at one other coal forge setup where I attended several workshop sessions. George, may I ask the height of your two forge setups.

thanks

6’1”  That would probably make yours about 2” too short, assuming you didn’t make it and it was built for a male of average height. I think that is 5’9”. 

I don’t remember how tall mine is, I didn’t make mine. A friend made it for me. All I made was the pot after the brake drum he had put in it rusted out. It is at a height I like. It allows me to stand straight without stooping over or feel like I have to reach up to it.

Note too that body configuration plays a part too.  I have an uncle that is of average height; but he has an exceptionally long torso and arms and quite short legs---he has to special order clothes a lot of the time.   He would use an anvil at a different height than a typical person of that height.

There is no "one true height" for an anvil save---"the one that works best for YOU!"

• 3 weeks later...

One thing which kept running through my mind today as I was forging was the song by Sir Mix A Lot, “I like big xxxxx and I cannot lie….”

Except for me it was,

I like big pots and I cannot lie 
You other brothers can’t deny

When another smith walks in with an itty bitty pot you know that he is whipped. 

His girl said,”No! Ya don’t need it

That itty bitty pot will do just fine.”

And then I draw a blank. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, lary said:

therapy

I see the whole shebang in that one.

In these images, this is where we transition from majority steam water, to the flammable volatiles.  When the Missus calls time, I just shut the whole thing down.  Green woods will be water free when I unload. There is a lot going on when the volatiles become sufficiently dewatered:20220115_211748_capture(0).thumb.jpg.fdb7a8353b0bb544eb63696b94c62e02.jpg20220116_190541_capture(0).thumb.jpg.95faa3d7c71b6afb10cd291f44ced4da.jpg One of my favorite threads...

Robert Taylor