I Forge Iron

Show me your Fire Dragons

Glenn

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/6/2021 at 4:13 PM, Frosty said:

Oh:o! That's pretty darned demonic Michael! I'm thinking poster material there, be a great flag over a booth at a conference.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, I'll suggest it to the smith who came up with it. CNC Plasma cut templates that are shaped hot on hollowed wooden blocks.  Anna demonstrated these at Roaring Camp near Santa Cruz last August. Heating the sheet metal in a coal fire. It was a very accessible project for kids and newbies. She had a whole stack of dragon blanks and other animals. The blocks had round and elongated hollows to shape the body and the wing ribs, and went into the slack tub after each heat. The blocks are expendable over a day of making these. Great fun!  I'm trying to get her to design a Balrog!

DragonFlat.JPG

IMG_5684.jpg

TW, that can happen when you have a fertile imagination...

Pretty easy to cut wings out of sheetmetal with a beverly shear and then rivet them to a forged body for a dragon. Fold forming can help get the wings more "bat like".  I did  small one for my daughter once using an old electric fence post, 3/8" dia mild steel with a triangular sheetmetal vane for driving into the ground.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...