I Forge Iron

scrap owl

I came across a few bits of scrap which suggested an owl. We don't have horned owls in Australia, but I gave it horns anyway. The owl sits on a 1" diameter wrought iron bolt bent in the forge. I like the rough layered texture of wrought and it almost has a tree bark look. The feet are the claws of two hammers and the wings are some kind of blade with the marking Planet Jnr, USA.  I have not sealed it yet but will probably give it  a coat of Rustmasters or perhaps Rustoleum Clear.

big owl 1.JPG

big owl 2.JPG

big owl 3.JPG

17 hours ago, Ben Hoover said:

Ausfire, I really like that.  It's clean and intriguing.  I am not just seeing the owl, but looking at the  individual components as well and it all flows so nicely.  Very nice.

Thanks. I defined the body with two plough spikes (not sure if that's what they're called) and just filled in the rest, trying to maintain some symmetry.

16 hours ago, tkunkel said:

Nicely done, Ausfire.  I especially like the way you have set the eyes tilted to one side.  Gives lots of character.  Another nice creation!

When I first set out the parts I had the head vertical, eyes horizontal. The tilted quizzical look won out.

15 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Who.  :)

Nice one Aus. Has that owl stare. The old wrought bolt makes a nice stand. 

Planet jr. Makes small garden cultivators and planters if I remember right. 

No, Woof Woof. (We have barking owls here! ) Yes, the Planet bits look like they could have come off a rotary cultivator. Spring steel and hard to drill.

Barking owls... next what? Haha. I could see someone complaining that their neighbors dog was up all night barking...

Guess it still doesn't compare to all the sounds a lyre bird can make. 

I'd have thought the Scrap owl would make more of a screeching almost like metal on metal. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

OK, continuing the owl theme, simplicity is sometimes a good option. These little guys are really easy to do and the kids like them. Just a bit of 'cognitive' thinking:

little owl.JPG

little owls 1.JPG

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Cognitive. . . Thinking Aus? :huh:

Well, yes.  You need to recognise every creative opportunity. (It helps when you know a motorcycle mechanic. They throw these worn cogs out on a regular basis).

Ah yes of course that totally explains it all. 

In my case I need to recognize when to control my creative nature or I say things I REALLY shouldn't. Hey, it sounded funny before I said it.  :unsure:

Welding up scrap looks like so much fun unfortunately I ran out of back burners and shelves. Long ago. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't seem to leave these owls alone. Here's another one which is meant to be wall mounted. The branch is a piece of very heavily weathered wrought iron bolt. I don't think I could forge a texture like that.

wall owl.JPG

I see those most mornings on my way to work.   I pick up heavily weathered stuff from time to time just in case I want to make something to fit in with a "historic" look.  An option I offer for commissions.  New or "can't tell it from the old ones".  You can guess which costs more.  Duplicating the look over forge welds I have made does take extra time and effort.

My first thought when looking at those little owls was Kiwi.  The beak is way off, but the overall shape and front view of camera angle may have tricked me.

Also the last photo with angle of the camera,  are those "crows feet"? :D

I need a better scrap pile or maybe a better imagination.  I would love to make some of that scrap art as good you all.

Nice work, vert cute.

I need a better scrap pile or maybe a better imagination.  I would love to make some of that scrap art as good you all.

Well, an extensive scrap pile is certainly handy - makes for lots of choices. I have a good imagination and lots of scrap but there are times I wish I were a better welder.

• 3 weeks later...