I Forge Iron

Hi, we recently purchased an anvil and the markings on the side are hard to distinguish. 

We have worked out the word "warranted" and we think the word "tredin" underneath it... Can anyone enlighten us further?? TIA 

25025F06-5059-4BCA-BEF2-F6A889F79578.jpeg

Ms. Murray,

Welcome to the site.

I suggest that you modify your profile and place your location in it.

That information will result in far more relevant responses to your questions. 

Australia is vast and there are numerous members from there in I.F.I. There may be several residing nearby.

There are other female members here too.

Again welcome.

SLAG.

No apologies are necessary.

The site takes a little bit of time to learn to navigate and figure out the peculiarities.

Like the search engine is poor. So use your favorite one and also put 'iforgeiron" into the search phrase. (for google or another).

Also, if you want to go to another page in a particular thread hit the refresh button and the page will then come up. If not the page does not appear.

Also, check for a thread that lists all/many Australian members. Dale Russell tends that thread, somewhere on this site. Another member will probably post to guide you to where it is, here

Regards,

SLAG.

Just checked out your co-ordinates. Never met anyone from Bendigo., before.  But Melbourne is a different story.  Cheers.

Welcome aboard Brenda, glad to have you. Nothing to be sorry about there's a learning curve to using Iforge and things change occasionally without warning so the learning curve never ends. Being asked to include a general location is probably the most common request made of new folk. 

Ah, and another peculiarity of IFI just occurred, slag and I are typing a reply to the same thread at the same time. If you think of this place as a giant cocktail party of characters with one similar interest and someone with every other interest on earth present you'll be close.

Oh, can't help with the anvil's identity but I'd sure like a look at it from a little distance so I can see it's condition and profile.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey Brenda, welcome to IFI. There are a few of us Australians on here. I'm a few days drive north of you. You're not too far away from Bendigo and I have been there a couple of times for the annual swap meet. A few anvils for sale but all overpriced.

If you go to the Everything Else thread and scroll down to Oz Roll Call, you can meet up with a few of us there and perhaps add your details.  https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/7176-oz-roll-call/

You are going to think that we are a bunch of anvil weirdos, (and you will be right) but we need pix of the areas under the horn, under the heel, and the very bottom surface for a better chance of a definitive ID. There are also marks frequently found on the front and back surfaces of the base.

A pronounced "keel" on the bottom of the horn usually indicates a Sheffield, England origin, most notably Mousehole or one of it's numerous spin-offs or competitors. Re-labeling was not unknown, either.

It definitely looks to be a Mousehole-type, even if not from that specific factory. If the rebound is good, you should be in good shape.

Couple of tips for photographing markings and other details: low-angle light will cast shadows over dips and valleys and show any marking more clearly. You can also give it a dusting with talcum powder or flour to bring out numbers or lettering.

One of the issues is that there were hundreds of anvil makers in England over the years  and many of them make anvils that look quite similar---generally because they learned the craft working in one of the major manufacturers like Mousehole or Peter Wright and then went out to start up their own businesses and tended to make anvils similar to what they learned on...

CWT weight stamping is a sound indication of English pedigree  as as far as I know; no other location weight stamped using that system.

Thank you everyone! 

Please excuse my photographer, it ain't my strong suite. 

We tried the tracing over it with charcoal and paper, tracing over it, you name it. I'm pretty confident it says  WARRANTED with "TREDIN" underneath.

Yes we do have forges, a gas and a coal one. 

Here are updated photos, after a bit of a cleanup.

9E495C66-1524-4366-B5DE-8C93C7AACBFD.jpeg

840B6D85-BA9B-4854-BF91-EA2A6DE9B9B3.jpeg

6A8779DA-3C98-4941-92C7-9BD42DD017B1.jpeg

CE9B310A-CC0F-4E4B-9BC9-F61019D21F34.jpeg

7F0BCBBB-2064-4843-92C7-2627F8670435.jpeg

308CC077-232A-412C-B910-C80287EC6700.jpeg

No more abrasives on the anvil please, hot iron will lift the rust just fine with out artificially wearing the anvil. 

And the lady above (JLP services, aka Jennifer) if an inspiring smith so if any one gets snarky about a lady in the smithy look up some of her vidioes and tell the “boys” to set down.