I Forge Iron

UK Knife Law - Updated

JRich

Just thought you guys across the pond would like to have a laugh at how ridiculous our terrified governments laws are getting! 

This is going to completely cripple any knife makers and retailers in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/home-office-announces-plans-for-offensive-weapons-bill-to-tackle-serious-violence

Most notably on the subject of knives:
- stopping knives being sent to residential addresses after they are bought online
- changing the legal definition for threatening with an offensive weapon to make prosecutions easier
- updating the definition of a flick knife to reflect changing weapon designs

Fun times.

They also mention bump stocks and rapid fire rifles, which are completely illegal anyway. You can only own a .22 semi auto rifle...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I see stuff like this it makes me wonder if not too long in the future we'll see statutes that regulate the diameter and length of sticks that you can have in your possession.  Of course if you have a landscaping, lawn care, or tree trimming business I'm sure you'll be able to apply for a license that will allow you to handle those deadly sticks, but only to allow for their proper disposal.

When the whole world is mad 'tis folly to be sane.

I also noticed they specify corrosive materials as something that can get you in trouble.  So, depending on the specifics you could be in trouble for vinegar or a bag of oranges.

The 'every day carry' rules are still the same.
The cutting edge must be 3 inches or less, the blade must be folding, and non-lockable.

The main different in the proposed legislation, is not being able to buy a knife online and have it delivered to a domestic address.
Retailers can instead post it to your place of work, or partner with a 'click and collect' service, where you show up with ID to collect your order in person.

More hassle to buy a knife, but anyone with a legitimate reason for carrying or owning a knife as a 'tool' will see no difference.

From my two minutes of reading, the main intent behind banning certain types of knife (e.g. the 'zombie killer' knife), is to crack down on cheap weapons with no real/practical purpose other than looking scary and being used for intimidation.

If you run a museum, or film/tv prop company, part of a professional re-enactment/cosplay company, you can likely still obtain such weapons.
It's mostly to stop those with malicious intent getting their hands on cheap but dangerous weapons and keeping them at home.

In terms of those in the UK who make a living from selling custom knives, it might just mean a change to shipping policy: only sending to a business address, or some sort of click and collect service... possibly extra cost, but i'd assume legitimate customers will be understanding.

I've had half a dozen attempts to post essentually the same reply JAV. Thank you, i was starting to get a headache.

Yes click and collect would be one solution, it's essentually extending and paralelling gun regs, ie. buy a gun online and you have to have it delivered to a local gunsmith for collection.

This is a bt of a grey area Charles, if not for the law, then often for the public. As far as I'm aware there are some 'locking ' knives that are illegal whilst others are not. I believe this part of the law was aimed at the spring action flick knives. ie pressing a button relaeases the spring forcing the blade out into a locked possition. I don't believe it was intended to include the pen knife style that opens by hand and is then locked by a spring be it friction or latch. However I'm unsure if the last (latch lock) was intended to included in the original definition or if it is deemed illegal now. There was a reason why such blades have a lock, safety of the user especially during heavier use. Maybe somone can clarify it.

Not withstanding, we can buy the "craft" type knives (replaceable blade) utility knife which has a retracting blade, pushed into the working possition by a thumb slide and locked!

Then there is also the propensity of the law to be somewhat loose in it's desccriptions to permit as needed leeway to include or exclude certain paramiters where apropriate. I doubt a carpet fitter taking his break in the cafe would be arrested for possesion of a craft knife, where as spectator at a sporting event certainly would! Essentually, loose definitions provides for some use of common sense on behalf of the police and courts.

The outcry here is from people who think it's the Gvt's job to protect them from being frightened and the Gvt. is wasting time  "addressing" the "issue" instead of doing their job. What next, laws to protect people from the monster in the closet or under the bed? I can't wait to see the new Night Light laws.

I have to shut up now or the thread will be shut down.

Frosty The Lucky.

In regard to what is considered non locking, slip joint and friction folders are fine. 

Any sort of spring that holds the blade in a fixed position is not allowed as an every day carry. 

The key issue is the 'every day carry' part. i.e. the law would allow me to carry a small non locking blade about without any reason other than one every five years I might happen to need it by coincidence to cut a pice of string in the middle of the street or some other random nondescript reason. 

However, if I was going camping for the weekend, or taking part in bushcraft activities, I could carry a large hunting knife with me for that explicit purpose. 

Where it becomes a gray area, if I were stopped by the police on my way to the wilderness, it could be considered an offensive weapon. Once I get there, it's fine. 

Mental.. But as stated above, it allows flexibility for law enforcement to use common sense. 

If my car was full of camping gear and I was dressed appropriately, 'be on your way sir'. If I was dressed inappropriately for camping and had no tent or similar, alarm bells start sounding and I'd be hauled off to court. 

Charles;  *use* *tongs*!

Reading the BBC I am struck by how people will use what they have access to for mayhem; here in the USA it's often guns and in the UK, knives.   I remember reading how the widespread use of refrigerators resulted the the plummeting number of ice pick murders in New York City as the once common icebox usually had an ice pick close at hand; but it wasn't a common household item with a refrigerator...

I blame it on the large black monoliths that first gave us hominids the idea...

2 hours ago, JustAnotherViking said:

In regard to what is considered non locking, slip joint and friction folders are fine. 

Any sort of spring that holds the blade in a fixed position is not allowed as an every day carry. 

The key issue is the 'every day carry' part. i.e. the law would allow me to carry a small non locking blade about without any reason other than one every five years I might happen to need it by coincidence to cut a pice of string in the middle of the street or some other random nondescript reason. 

However, if I was going camping for the weekend, or taking part in bushcraft activities, I could carry a large hunting knife with me for that explicit purpose. 

Where it becomes a gray area, if I were stopped by the police on my way to the wilderness, it could be considered an offensive weapon. Once I get there, it's fine. 

Mental.. But as stated above, it allows flexibility for law enforcement to use common sense. 

If my car was full of camping gear and I was dressed appropriately, 'be on your way sir'. If I was dressed inappropriately for camping and had no tent or similar, alarm bells start sounding and I'd be hauled off to court. 

Sadly though i can see this going the same way. I EDC a 3" non locking knife, but these laws are not common knowledge, and if you have had the misfortune to have to listen to the radio all day (or at least the unavoidable radio 1 constantly on in the workshop) they keep on about stopping kids/people carrying knives.
Obviously they mean a kitchen knife hidden in your sock for "protection" or whatever these criminals are doing, but is the average public going to react sensibly if im cutting up an apple in public with my uk legal knife? I guarantee some ill-informed person will panic with whats currently brainwashing people through the media. Knife = Bad. Carrying knife = Murderer.

Thats the concern. Panic the public until they are demanding routine weekly re-bluntening of butter knives. 
I dont really care if i have to go see someone who is making me a lovely knife, or visit a local bladesmith to collect it. Other than it probably means ill buy more knives while i am there! 

2 minutes ago, JRich said:

I guarantee some ill-informed person will panic with whats currently brainwashing people through the media. Knife = Bad. Carrying knife = Murderer.

I see a big parallel here with legally carrying guns. Just seeing one seems to panic the misinformed. Not trying to turn this towards guns in the U.S. But it's eerily similar. 

1 hour ago, JRich said:

the average public going to react sensibly if im cutting up an apple in public with my uk legal knife?

To me that would depend entirely on the situation and location, also reflecting the ambiguous/flexible application of the law. 

Out for a hike and stopping for your lunch? Go ahead. 

In the middle of London in a busy street and doing it just because you can? Yeah, I'd say people have the right to feel uncomfortable.