I Forge Iron

"How To" Forge 90° corner the hard way using vice finish on anvil.

Yes, that is a good idea.. No plans for it at this point. More than likely I will cut off one leg and just add it back to the stock rack. This piece has rust pocks.. Great for simple demo but for any thing worth a time frame the rust marks show through unless all ground down..  Faster to just make another out of clean steel..    I used this size because it was used in the linked video.. I try to stay with only one size when making related videos, this give a good picture of examples or comparisons..

I have so much steel with rust pockets in it..  Most the steel is over 20 years old and lived a good portion of it's life outside on a metal rack..  You can see all the rust pits in this piece..

I have started to buy new stock to replace the old stuff as it gets used up but at this rate will be another 20 years before there is a complete rack of new steel.. :) 

I could sell it as pre textured.. :) 

JustanotherViking, I like your thinking.. LOL...  I suppose I could pedal it as such and get takers..  In years gone by I always figured the rust pockets or pits would forge out like in reprocessed wrought iron, but no luck.. Even on heavily forged items like thumb latches and such the rust pits still shows.. 

There's a market for everything, you just need to have the right sales pitch and get it in front of the right audience.

I'm sure you could hammer out some simple pieces, and make used of the rust pits, add a bit more deliberate hammer texturing, and have an antiqued, rustic aesthetic rather than a perfectly smooth finish.

Even the same piece side by side in a clean and weathered version as a visual show of different deliberate finishes.
Something weathered up would go well in a rustic farmhouse setting... always an option rather than just scrapping it.

@Zeroclick Thanks for the kind words..  I've been feeling pretty good about getting the videos out there..I keep trying to find content which isn't covered and is handy to know,   I go through phases and it seems late winters/ spring work best for video filming and production..  I have a few more lined up..  I had a request for a Fireplace tong How to which if I can find the time will be either next or the very next 1. (its going to be a long one though, maybe a 2 part series). I also want to add the 3rd method for a 90 bend and it will be the more advanced method of the 1st easy bend posted a few weeks ago which will lead to the 90degree outside bend... 

@JHCC Thank you..   If I can't win people over with my stunning good looks and my wonderful, bubbly personality and amazing verbal and written communication skills,  I figure the unique foot wear might do it.. :)  Thanks for always taking the time to add to the threads.. Greatly appreciate it.. 

I like all your videos. No pretenses, honest show of how it's done.

I particularly like your choice of hammers that are on the light side. There is no need for 4 lb when a 1.5 will do. 

As for footwear ... reminds me of the way Japanese wear their socks ... anyway ... I suppose that it is better than barefoot :)

Marc1, Thanks much for the feedback..  Strictly instructional with simple techniques is what I am always shooting for.. No fancy tools.. Just hammers, anvil, forge and vise as main players..   My motto is use the right hammer for the job.. :)  for some it's only 2 for me it's Oh, maybe 15.. Really I have 4 or 6 I really like.. 

Anachronist58, You are very much welcome and thanks for always commenting on the videos and videos threads..    It's people like yourself and the others that take the time to comment and share either good or bad about the information that makes doing them worth it..  Without feedback I'm not sure I would have continued so thanks to you for coming on board early and spurring me on..  

I can't thank Everyone enough for giving feedback. . And please leave  good or bad feedback both here and the videos..

Without getting feedback or reviews I have "NO idea" as to what content people are interested in and while i keep looking for content which is not all ready well represented.. It gets tough to really understand what people would like to see.. 

So, even if you don't like the videos please say so..  Each and every person can help figure out what content can be offered.. 

We specialize in colonial time frames 1750's-1960's and such.. Not big into artist things but good old home and hearth kind of things.. 

If you have a question that has not been answered or you are looking for a video "how to" that is not out there. Please feel free to ask.. 

JLP, of course I viewed your video for content. Good information is always worth viewing. And yes, I reviewed the video because it was pointed out I had missed a important detail, or two.  

Your videos have multiple layers of information, such as the audio of hammer impacts and strength of the impact. One pass is not enough to see or hear or read all the information presented. You need to rewind and review the individual sections where specific information and techniques are shown. This allows the viewer to isolate the layers and then selectively add them back together.  

How many folks watch the video, rewind and turn off the video portion,  and just listen to the audio of the same section? You already know what the hammer blow looks like but you overlooked what the hammer blows sound like. The audio strength and intensity of the hammer blow is just as important as the visual. Then go back with no audio and watch the results of each hammer blow, and how it affects things other than the impact area, causing scale and debris to jump around on the vise and anvil. All are levels and layers of information that make up the whole. 

9 hours ago, Glenn said:

How many folks watch the video, rewind and turn off the video portion,  and just listen to just the audio of the same section? 

Guilty on all your videos. To many things to take in at once.  Keep em coming!

BTW if the foot ware is safe and comfortable go for it. 

On 3/24/2018 at 12:12 PM, Glenn said:

How many folks watch the video, rewind and turn off the video portion,  and just listen to the audio of the same section? You already know what the hammer blow looks like but you overlooked what the hammer blows sound like. The audio strength and intensity of the hammer blow is just as important as the visual. Then go back with no audio and watch the results of each hammer blow, and how it affects things other than the impact area, causing scale and debris to jump around on the vise and anvil. All are levels and layers of information that make up the whole. 

Glenn, you are one smart cookie..  This is a rare talent you describe..  Very good indeed..  One of those Jedi knight moments.. :) 

@Irondragon Forge & Clay if the Lady of the house doesn't mind something between her toes she might like them very much.. The are very comfortable for me.. Thanks for commenting with info on how you watch them.. :)

@51 Papy Don't know how safe the footwear is.. :)  Your and years ago I had a job where I had to wear steel toed shoes.  was working on 1000lbs rolls of paper.. several rolls slipped and well my toes were injured for a few years..  Also in the Farrier business A horse will intentionally step on your foot as a way to say.. "Hey you suck and I don't really like what you are doing".. 

not once did a horse step on the steel toe part of the shoe I was wearing. It was like they new my ankle or upper part was not protected.. Needless to say they had a 100% success rate with not stepping onto the steel toes..  With that being said.. I've started to wear the other ones shown in the other picture for work.. Not one horse has wanted to or tried to step on my toes as they are very exposed now without them being combined and loose in the tabi vs all laced up.. 

I do keep a very keen awareness of the potential for a missed placed horse foot and ready to move if need be though.. 

1 hour ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Boot heal to the coranary band generaly teaches them that you can play that game too...

The guy i served my apprenticeship with felt pretty much that way.... Lots of other farriers feel that way also.. In the last 15 years I have only had 2 horses that have done that.. Both new customers.. One I simply asked to please not do that again and moved her over/off and she never did it again..  The other is a Quarter horse Gelding and he's one of those horses that likes a confrontation.. I've worked on him maybe 3 years on and off and he is one of those guys that just wants you to beat him, then he feels justified in his behavior.. 

about 4 months ago I was working on him and with his rear foot he slammed his toe down on top of mine.. He knew exactly what he had done and braced for a hit.  Instead of hitting him  or yelling at him I simple said to him in my mind..  This was a bad thing you did.. I forgive you..    I then spoke to him and asked him to step over.. (he was still looking for that heavy hand reprimand) but he moved over.. I asked for the foot.. He lifted it and I put it back on the hoof stand.. I finished all the rest of the feet with no incident of any kind.. He stood absolutely perfectly.. 

I've been back there 3 times since then..  2x after that he stood perfect, lifting the hoof before I even ask for it and he'll just hold it till I get there..  This last time he was a little fidgetty, but I just told him it's ok and he started chewing and then started to fall asleep as I worked on him.. 

These stories are not made up..  I have found this kind of thing to be true of all the horses I do..  WE all want to be listened to and not bullied or forced into doing something.. 

Last 5  new customers were all people with horses that won't stand for the farrier.(kicking, biting, rearing, breaking cross ties). Every single horse stood for me with just a ground tie..   Loose rope at that..  

I'm not claiming that what I am sharing is the answer for everybody..  What I am saying is " It has been an answer for me and the people who have brought me these so called bad horses, yet that stand perfectly..  1st time, 2nd time, etc, etc.. 

Farrier work is the hardest job I have ever done..  Working on minis,  or donkeys or pretty much any horse even drafts can be a challenge especially when they aren't trained right and it's 80-90F out and you dieing and it's the last 1 of the day..  Somehow they know when you are beat up and they cooperate even less so than normal.. 

There is another way.. It's not magic but it does work..   Last thursday as an example I worked on this younger horse Atlas..  Paint horse..  My 4th visit.. I finished up and the horse was licking my helmet and nuzzling me..  I finished up and the owner said to me" I am so glad to have found you and I am so thankful for the work you are doing.. Not only do his feet look better, he is moving better.. Not only that.. He has never stood for the farrier so well as with you">>  (first time there he was ready to explode and you know what I mean) he was perfect.. 

I came from a place of anger and back in the day I carried  injectables, (ACE, Rompum), and would twitch the ones that didn't cooperate.. It's just what was done in the circles I worked in..  It  wasn't the right thing for me and haven't had to use anything but a loose lead line and a few minutes of my time in many years now..  I'm thankful I learned the lessons I  know now.. 

That Q horse that stepped on my foot He drove it in toe down full body weight.  I wanted to retaliate and beat the stuffing out of him,  and show him what for.. I was so angry but then found my right mind and it paid off in spades..  

Please don't take This as me preaching.. Far from it.. Everybody has the thing they do and if it works for them..  All the better..  Thank you so much for sharing I really appreciate you taking the time to..  Thanks kindly..  :) 

Along the same lines, my ASD son’s behavior issues got significantly better when I started realizing that they usually sprang from him being exhausted and overwhelmed, and that my dialing things back significantly usually had much better success than escalating any confrontation. 

31 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Along the same lines, my ASD son’s behavior issues got significantly better when I started realizing that they usually sprang from him being exhausted and overwhelmed, and that my dialing things back significantly usually had much better success than escalating any confrontation. 

So true,  Love, forgiveness and giving are tops on my todo list..  I still struggle with staying in the NOW and offering Love, forgiveness and giving exactly at that moment of need. but with each day it gets easier..  Golden rules.. Just simplified..