I Forge Iron

First anvil

I don't know the weight maybe close to 100 pounds. And I can't read the stampings. This is my first anvil and I also got a chunk of tree to use for a stand.

There are a couple chips but nothing too major.

The piece of ash was free. Anvil 50 dollars.

Does anyone have advice on how to clean this anvil up

2018-03-19 18.21.56.jpg

2018-03-19 18.22.21.jpg

2018-03-19 18.22.46.jpg

2018-03-19 18.25.05.jpg

Looks like a Trenton. Possibly Acme version? Nice looking usable anvil! Trenton are great anvils (IMHO)

I can see the Trenton diamond stamp above what is probably an ACME stamp.

weight stamp is on the left of the foot and is 125 lbs. should be around that is weighed on a scale.

The ring fills me with joy I haven't tested rebound yet. I removed a little bit or the rust on the horn and found some marks from something. Also ous the flat area between the horn and face ment for upsetting?

It was sitting outside a barn so long it had moss growing on it.

2018-03-19 20.52.20.jpg

Jim, I bet you bragging rights it's a Trenton :) 

mid like to see the underneath to prove it as well. 

The marks on the table and horn at just some chisel marks and nothing to worry about. Use it in good health and use it proper. 

Handling hole in the front foot was an unfair wager. Poor Jim...  :-)

The 125 on the left foot is the weight stamp.

Can you scrub the front right of the front foot for a better view of the serial number? Is that A5266? Or A5266x?

I do believe you have Anvil bargain braggin rights this week! Not only is she a top shelf make, $0.40 / lb. is a great price but she's in fine condition to boot. SWEET deal! You'll be bragging on your first anvil to your great grand children's kids.

A wire brush and put her to work, she's a beautiful old lady.

Frosty The Lucky.

I got around to heating a bolt last night and drawing it out into a knife shape....of course. I knew an anvil helps put the hammer back where you want it to swing again but I didn't realize how nice it is. The ring is harmonic there a lot of frequencies almost sounds like a harpsicord it is almost overwhelming when it gets loud like 6 screaming tuning forks. I did not officially check the rebound but it was near effortless to swing my lightest hammer even my 2lb wasn't too bad to get moving.

The "step" was designed for cutting stuff with a chisel so to NOT do it on the hardened face. As such it's soft and they are often scarred from use.

It's a really good brand of anvil and the price will have folks crying for weeks...MUTE THE RING.  Good hearing aids for my wife cost more than my pickup did. Save YOUR hearing starting NOW!

Mellin,

I have an ash stump and let me tell you that you need to band it up as soon as the bark is removed or it will split terribly.  You wouldn't believe how much it will shrink.  Mine is banded on the top and bottom and I just had to cut the band and drill a new hole for the bolt and nut because I'd tightened the old one up as far as I could.  Now mind you I left a good sized gap on the first banding thinking it would dry out and shrink so I was shocked I had to shorten the bands.  I'm wondering just when my poor ash stump will be fully dried out.

Great deal on the Trenton.  I too have a Trenton and love it.