I Forge Iron

Worst I have seen

Anyone who paid over the top for something will expect the same in return when selling if not more. 

It's likely purchased with disposable income, so they'll have no issues with hoarding it when they realise they will only get a fraction back on investment. 

If popularity does decrease, those who find anvils or have them passed down without having paid a small fortune would sell at the market rate, which in theory you would expect to be lower in this scenario

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread. Got  a few laughs out of it too.

I use an old Kohlswa (never sure of that spelling) anvil at work and people often ask if the old anvils are better.  It has a wonderful bounce with the ball bearing. I also have a later Australian made anvil stamped Connellan & Son, Brisbane. Well, not stamped, more cast into the body. I looks nice but is really soft and has about 40% bounce. I think it may almost qualify as an ASO. We also have Australian anvils made in Emerald, Q and some BK anvils (Sydney) and I don't know if they are any better. 

I Iike the old anvil though, as it fits well in the historic village environment where I work surrounded by old things. The forge is stone and ant bed, the blower is an old Rapid of Sydney, and we have hand-turned grindstones and leg vices and bellows on display. A shiny new anvil just wouldn't look right! My home anvil is a 300# HB - not sure of the age but must be early 1900s.

I'm not sure how to answer the visitors' questions about old vs new, except to say that you really get what you pay for. Some new anvils are very good (Ped & Ref etc) but expensive, and there are a lot of cheaper but not so good new anvils available. How would you answer the question - briefly and in layman's terms?

I like to use cars as an analogy, or food. Folks can relate to those better.

Which is better, and will hold its value to pass down to your kids? A 10 year old Mercedes with 100K miles, or a budget Asian or East European import, same year, same miles.

Or a fast food meal in a paper sack, vs a sit-down, knife and fork meal in a nice restaurant. Both will fill your belly for a few hours, but one is a poor choice for Mother's Day, unless you WANT to be left out of the will. 

Which brings me to a question. If we in the States go to Outback Steakhouse, do you Aussies go to an American themed joint?  I can see it now, Vinnies New Jersey Chophouse, "Fuggitaboutit". Inquiring minds want to know!

On 1/4/2018 at 3:51 AM, JustAnotherViking said:

My other main hobby is motorcycles... compared to buying custom parts, upgrades, donor bikes for projects.... not to mention the fuel and ferry costs for weekend trips... buying blacksmith equipment, even at inflated prices, is cheap by comparison!

Get kids interested in motorcycles and they will not have any money for drugs. 

But may be introduced to them in a hospital after a crash...like one of my second cousins. 

As for old = better;  Show them a 100+ year old Catalog, (I have 1897 and 1908 Sears Roebuck reprints),  selling low grade, medium grade and high grade tools and talk about "preservation bias"  The old low grade tools tended to wear out or break and get scrapped whereas the high grade tools tended to make it to modern times more often.

Hey Pap, the welds don't look very solid, it looks like all of the edges have been "fixed". I do have a thing for Swedish anvils. Scared, the welds look like Swiss cheese...not gouda...keep looking...sorry I got cheesy. Just my .02 cents. 

N.N.F.                Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan. USA 

Gotta go against the tide here. Yes, I love hot, sharp, and heavy. But I think accidents can be prevented. I having a leather apron, older than my kids, it's not ballistic rated. Potential shrapnel is something I will avoid. 

N.N.F.            Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan, USA 

It is one thing to succumb to your own OCD and weld up a worn out anvil ... a different one to buy someone else's mistakes. Whoever welded that anvil edges, can't weld for nuts. Who knows what he used and most likely no heat treatment

Asking price was $3.61/lb US.  ($650). That's a great price for this area but he stopped responding when I asked what kind of rod he was using. There was a smaller PW but it was not finished and some "repairs needed more work".   Pass!  I'll find one one of these days. 

21 hours ago, 51 Papy said:

Asking price was $3.61/lb US.  ($650). That's a great price for this area but he stopped responding when I asked what kind of rod he was using. There was a smaller PW but it was not finished and some "repairs needed more work".   Pass!  I'll find one one of these days. 

Check for Thomas' "anvil acquisition technique" ... besides being rather funny it works. There are thousands of anvils under peoples workbench , in garages and  even in gardens. 

Having said that, if I was living in the states and  had $500 to spend on a smaller anvil I would just buy a NC anvil new and not bother with ancient abused tools. Check for NC anvils or NC tool company. They make smaller anvils for farriers that besides looking rather cool and out of the ordinary london pattern boring style, are very cheap .

Another little known source of anvils is Perun in Poland. 

I replied to an ad on Gumtree that posted a NC anvil (the one called Big face anvil) and a homemade gas forge, fairly large one with two burners. I was interested in the gas forge but would have paid may be $200 for it. This guy, a retired farrier posted both anvil and forge for $2000 Australians some $1600 US.

I sent a message asking if he would sell the forge on it's own to what he replied no. So i passed to tell him that NC in the states sells that particular anvil (70lb) for $290 new and that considering exchange rate and shipping for 30 kilos and the very used forge that needed the welding grinded off to replace the lining, best I could pay for the lot was $500. Needless to say he did not accept and made a counter offer of $1000. I am not sure who in his right mind would pay those prices for an anvil that is in current production and that can be bought online from the manufacturer. Having said that, the same anvils  are sold by other farrier suppliers in the US for prices that are almost double what the manufacturer sells them for. If you would try to do this with a different product, a vehicle,  powertools, anything, you would be laughed out the door.