I Forge Iron

Craigslist Fisher just picked up? Whatya think?

I'm totally new to smiting and have just recently started picking up some equipment.  Yesterday I picked my first anvil that appears to be a Fisher from what I've read.  What can anyone tell me about this find and what do you think about it?  I really wasn't concerned whether it was a fair price or not... I really just wanted to get started acquiring equipment and it was within 20 minutes and seemed to be in good condition.  I'll post a few pics for reference.  Thanks!

20170508_083013.thumb.jpg.de4a42c873cad99248fc92e9602ab0ca.jpg

20170508_082305.jpg

20170508_083001.jpg

Thanks.  The guy I bought it off of said it was buried under barn debris and a foot of mud... said he wouldn't have even noticed except the part of the horn was poking through.  He wired wheeled it and posted it; said right after I agreed to buy it he had 10 people chomping for it. 

1 minute ago, King187 said:

He [...] said right after I agreed to buy it he had 10 people chomping for it. 

We see a lot of people dithering about whether or not to buy a CLed anvil, and they're almost always gone by the time folks make up there mind. Congratulations on moving expeditiously -- you have already received your reward!

I got it for 390.  Wasn't sure it's worth, but from what I've seen for a new anvil... figured it was available now and close = minimal fuss would be worth any overpaying I might do.

Have a question:

From what I've gleaned from scouring the Internet the "3" at the base means roughly 30 pounds.  Call me crazy, but it sure felt a lot more than 30; it was attached to an angle iron base but even considering that I'd have to say it was more than 30.  I could be misjudging, but I can curl 30 pounds for reps easily... and that simply ain't happening with this piece.  LOL I'm not concerned with the weight really at this point, being a beginner and all; more general curiosity.

*sigh* Looks like I'll be weighing it just to satisfy that curiosity. 

22 minutes ago, King187 said:

I got it for 390.  Wasn't sure it's worth, but from what I've seen for a new anvil... figured it was available now and close = minimal fuss would be worth any overpaying I might do.

Have a question:

From what I've gleaned from scouring the Internet the "3" at the base means roughly 30 pounds.  Call me crazy, but it sure felt a lot more than 30; it was attached to an angle iron base but even considering that I'd have to say it was more than 30.  I could be misjudging, but I can curl 30 pounds for reps easily... and that simply ain't happening with this piece.  LOL I'm not concerned with the weight really at this point, being a beginner and all; more general curiosity.

*sigh* Looks like I'll be weighing it just to satisfy that curiosity. 

I don't know, looks like an "8" to me in the photo (80 lbs.), which would certainly be a more common size.  Assuming good rebound, in that pristine condition, a desirable manufacturer and with a custom stand I think you did just fine as regards the price.

It's certainly possible being the conditions it was found; either way I'm happy between my own findings and response to the post.

Thanks everyone; I'm always eager to increase my "think tank" on on a subject I'd like to pursue , so any input is beneficial.

The Fisher&Norris Eagles are odd to me. They claim all other makes are far inferior and made from garbage. Or was it trash......the lowest grade of iron available. Also claim, per their addvertising again, their anvil has no rebound and thus the hammer performs more work and thusly, you use a lighter hammer compared to other brands.

The company continued to advertise that if a wrought anvil rings, it is not wrought as solid  wrought won't ring.

Also.......The company claims their anvil will never break, ( will not wear out too ,if i recall) and is the only brand anvil with a warranty. 

Something strange. Interesting history and colourful advertising.

Yes, their advertising was a little funny. They are good anvils, though. Note that many wrought anvils were, in fact, made from garbage. (Excluding the face plate) Interesting that the "garbage" anvils tended to out perform the solid wrought ones. The harder pieces that would get mixed in would keep them from getting as much sway. Lots of interesting ways to twist the truth...

I was reading up on them. They  (apparently) made more anvils than any co. 

It is interesting to note the description and steps employed to return a failed anvil to F&N for warranty consideration.  In so doing the company takes opportunity to bash the Peter Wright brand anvils in the description of F&N warranty  claims.  What does Peter Wright anvils have to do with the warranty claim of a F&N? Jez-o-man! They list six or seven ways your Peter Wright brand anvil will fail..........in the description of Warranty claim to F&N. Why?

Unbelievable.  I dont own a F&N nor a PW but after reading their hate for other brands; I wouldn't want one.

As long as it performs I won't hold that it against it... this time.

I really enjoy the history involved in this stuff also; from the individual item history (where it was made, sold, found, etc.) to the manufacturer history.  Most of these seem to have been made/out of business long before I was around.

When were these advertisements published? For a long time a company could claim anything they wanted to. "Use our anvil and you'll have bigger muscles, a thicker mustache, whiter teeth and and you'll be able to read better. Not only will it split a Peter Wright in half but it will also make you 3" taller, make your soldier stand at attention and your toe nails might cut holes in the ends of your boots." Things of that nature. There was no such thing as false advertisement. What made a company stand out was sticking to their warranty, which Fisher did. They were a good company that made great products and they stood by them. Think snake oil. 

Fisher anvils are the best.  Simply put, they are every bit as good as an anvil that has a wrought iron base..... but the cast iron base doesn't ring like a church bell and kill your hearing!

The one you scored seems in pristine shape, with a perfect face and horn.  Since it's "as new" condition, it should fetch "as new" pricing.  To get it for less than $400 is a simply a steal of a deal!  Congratulations on a wonderful acquisition.

You can easily re-sell it for $500 in a year or two when you're done with it.  lightweight anvils are very much sought after because they're easy to move around.  Definitely a great piece of kit and you should be very happy with your purchase.

Nice Fisher.  Could you post photos of all sides?  At some point, you might want to unbolt it from the base and weigh it.

As to Fisher advertising:  Remember, they had a product to sell, and sell they did.  Fisher sold over 500,000 anvils over their roughly 125 year history.  They were the first major anvil manufacturer in the US, and made more anvils in the US than any other company.  They warrantied their anvils for a year, which no other company did.  And the fact that so many have survived and are still in use stands in testament to their quality.  Yes, many did fail, from use, abuse, or defects.  I find it interesting that someone would complain about advertising for a product that has not been made for 38 or more years now, and it would affect their judgement about the product.

If you have copies of the advertising, please post it.  I am sure we would all like to see it.