I Forge Iron

How/where do you store your drill chuck key?

The key on my small press hangs on a string tied to the motor mount.
All my small hand drills are key-less.
My 1/2" big boy has a metal clip on the handle for the key.
My Big press came with a 3/4" key chuck that I removed and put on a 1/2" key-less Jacobs clone that I got off E-pray.

If you use an Albrecht style keyless chuck you don't have to worry about it.

One of the woodworking online suppliers have a spring loaded cable to hold the chuck key and it has a magnetic main part that will stick to your drill press, most anywhere.
Some places and shops, use the drill chuck jaws to clamp the key hand tight in them so its there readily available for the next use.

Also any strong magnet somewhere on the main drill press housing will hold a chuck key out of the way and from getting lost.

Do any of you use a lazy susan bit holder on your drill presses?

5416.attach

5417.attach

5418.attach

When the drill press is not in use the "key" gets hand tightened "in" the drill chuck. During the use of the drill press the key gets put in my pocket so I can find it and so it is out of the way. I don't like strings/things hanging from the drill press because it could be a potential hazard. - JK

Anywhere but in the chuck where it can get flung in your face when the drill is turned on.

Preferably in the same place every time so it's easier to find. Generally I hang mine in one of the unused holes or slots in the drill table or on the head of the lathe right next to the drill press. I also have a magnet stuck to the wall of the Connex behind the drill press but it's inconvenient. My pocket works too.

Once the new shop is in operation I'll hang the lazy susan with the key holder.

Frosty

On my Drill Presses the key's hang on small chain from the motor mounts or the hand wheel. On all my hand drills they are zip tied to the cord next to the plug so they have to be unplugged to change bits. Been that way for years. Irnsrgn, The post drill I got last week has a real nice bit holder on it.

John

On the hand drills it's taped to the cord(far enough down it has to be unplugged to tighten the chuck).
On the drill presses(both benchtop), on one it's in a tupperware tray on the shelf below the press. And on the other there is a sliding tray built into the base.
Like Frosty said, never in the chuck where it becomes a dangerous projectile if the press is turned on by mistake.

When my brother was an apprentice in a machine shop he flung a key across the shop that he left in a drill chuck. The shop foreman, an old time German tool maker, riveted the key to a short piece of chain around my brothers neck so he had to put his nose against the drill press to use the key. Paul said, that after wearing the key like that for a week he never left a key in the chuck again.

we put a magnet on our drill press to stick the chuck too. However this was not fool proof being as that a few people in my shop dont put it back and even I am guilty of this. one of the best ideas that I saw was in my highschool shop. they had a retractable chain that pulled the chuck back up to it when you were done using it. The only problem with this was that some people would forget to take the chuck out and turn the drill on and wrap the chain around the drill, but this could be easily avoided if they would have just paid a little attention.

About the safest method I've seen was making the chuck key the drill presses starter key. The key was hung on a chain and there was a clear plastic cover over the ON button with a hole just large enough for the key handle. It took a deliberate act to turn the press on with the key in the chuck which was grounds for immediate dismissal.

The off button was uncovered and easy to hit for obvious safety reasons.

Frosty