I Forge Iron

Greetings Seldom,

I have been using the old wheel style hanger for years. I decided to convert it to a hammer rack and come up with a rack for my most used tongs. I found a large diameter steel tube , welded a few 1/2 in round bars across the center .  Both work very well. I have another rack behind those two for less used tongs and hammers. Ahh the good old wheel has many possibilities.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

IMG_0654.JPG

I found mine by the side of the road; someone was ditching an old wheel cultivator. Add a section of pipe (from the support for an old bird feeder) and the base from an artificial Christmas tree, and voila!

IMG_1822.JPG

(Although I will admit that a wheelbarrow wheel would probably be rather more robust, but those are seldom available.)

I don't see wheels like that around here very often if at all but I don't see anything about them to make them hard to make. Double up some of the spokes for hammers.

Oh GREAT something else for the to do list! :o

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, SLAG said:

Herr Daswulf,

Where do you get your wheels?

I am, now, in the market for a set myself.

Thank you,

SLAG.

Last time I got coal, I was talking with the owner and he mentioned having a lot of old metal wheels he was willing to sell. He said he didn't have a use for them but he hated to just scrap them. I'll have to give him a call and see what all he has.

have a couple of old hoops from barrels behind the shed. might have to weld some bar across em and chuck in a hub n make one of these puppies.

I guess you could also make your own from some flat bar if only you have some kind of heat source and some kind of rounded metal item to shape it over 

One of the items I pick up whenever I find them cheap at the fleamarket or scrap yard; I've gone as high as US$5 at the fleamarket but ran across 4 of them at the scrapyard for 20 cents a pound a couple of years ago---I have 4 with me right now; 3 on stands and 1 hanging on the wall in the tool shed.  

They don't need to be very heavy for tongs; but barrel hoops like we have here in the USA are probably too thin.

One of my stands is a trident base that gets stamped into the ground for a traveling set up, the others were sourced at the scrapyard---I'm lazy and lacking couth and quite willing to let other people do the work on such things so I can spend my time forging or visiting scrapyards!

16 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

---I'm lazy and lacking couth and quite willing to let other people do the work on such things so I can spend my time forging or visiting scrapyards!

The word is EFFICIENT Thomas:D

• 1 month later...