I Forge Iron

damascus jewelers hammer

bobasaurus

I made this little jewelers raising hammer as a test project out of my first damascus billet.  It has a very low layer count (about 8... maybe 7 after grinding), but I think the pattern is neat.  The layers were 1080 and 15n20.  Etched in a 50/50 mix of ferric chloride and white vinegar then sanded back at 600 grit.  I still need to fit a handle.  

DSC_0300.JPG

DSC_0205.JPG

DSC_0213.JPG

DSC_0255.JPG

DSC_0285.JPG

Walnut would be lovely. Good color contrast of the warm wood and the cool steel. 

When I worked in the art restoration studio, we would often rub walnut down with a red oil-based stain (thinned out with some paint thinner) to give it a bit more warmth. Minwax "Red Oak" worked nicely. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Frosty said:

IMNHO the handle didn't take away from the tool's appeal one itty bit. I want to see the jeweler's bench with a full set of those on the rack!

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks.  I'm not super happy with the shape, but the fit is tight and it works well.  My father used it for anticlastic raising last weekend and it worked well.  

5 minutes ago, bobasaurus said:

Thanks.  I'm not super happy with the shape, but the fit is tight and it works well.  My father used it for anticlastic raising last weekend and it worked well.  

Yeah, getting handles just right can be a matter of trail and error. Maybe make temporary experimental handles from inexpensive wood to try out. Keep notes, make templates, etc. so yo  know what works best. THEN use the good wood.

Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 6 months later...