I Forge Iron

chain damascus drawknife in progress

I've been working on this chain damascus drawknife.  It started as a bicycle chain and a large old ARCADE bastard mill file.  It took me three separate forging sessions, as there was more steel than I expected to draw out by hand and my arms are pretty lame.  I now have the forging complete and the drawknife rough ground ready for HT.  

2016-11-13_17.26.20.jpg

2016-11-13_18.12.52.jpg

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

7 hours ago, ausfire said:

That is amazing. I cannot understand why the thin wire just doesn't fizzle away in the forge and the whole thing fall to pieces.

The wire does fizzle away pretty quickly, but it holds just long enough that I can do the first round of setting the weld.  I need to get a mig or stick welder to help with this process.  

3 hours ago, Tubalcain2 said:

fantastic job. how long is the blade?

I wanted to draw it out to 8", but I think I only managed 7".  

Bobasaurus,

Excellent job

Have you considered forging the blanc so that it has a slight curve in it? That is, the blade would be a little more curved than straight flat.

Such a draw knife is called having a little a belly by wood workers. Modern manufacturers skip making such a profile because it is an involved extra step. And most woodworkers, these days, are either not aware of it, or do not know the practical benefits of such a configuration.

That extra feature would further highlight that the tool is hand forged.

SLAG.

6 minutes ago, SLAG said:

Bobasaurus,

Excellent job

Have you considered forging the blanc so that it has a slight curve in it? That is, the blade would be a little more curved than straight flat.

Such a draw knife is called having a little a belly by wood workers. Modern manufacturers skip making such a profile because it is an involved extra step. And most woodworkers, these days, are either not aware of it, or do not know the practical benefits of such a configuration.

That extra feature would further highlight that the tool is hand forged.

SLAG.

I purposefully avoided a curve, as I'm making this drawknife to trade with a fellow woodworker who wanted a straight blade.  I'm going to make another for myself eventually that will likely have a curve.  

7 hours ago, ausfire said:

That is amazing. I cannot understand why the thin wire just doesn't fizzle away in the forge and the whole thing fall to pieces.

Wire usually lasts long enough because it's very low carbon and so has a higher melting and burning temp. Concrete tie wire is pupular because it's VERY low carbon. Mechanic's wire has a little more carbon but still works well enough. Safety tie wire is higher carbon about mild steel or a touch higher and not so good for securing weld billets.

Concrete tie wire works a treat.

That's going to be a striking draw knife Bob. I love lower layer count, high contrast patterns and that one is going to be a DOOSIE.

Frosty The Lucky.

I finished the chain damascus drawknife I've been working on.  Forged from a bicycle chain and an old file.  Redheart handles with copper ferrules.  I managed to crack one of them when inserting the tang, dang it.  Filled with CA glue and sawdust, then sanded back... it looks decent, but obviously there.  Still, I'm very happy with how this came out.  I'm trading it with a buddy who is making me a fancy custom hand saw.  It'll be hard to let it go, might have to make another for myself.  

2016-12-05_09-01-59_8.jpg

2016-12-05_09-04-33_9.jpg

2016-12-06_19-36-17_12.jpg

2016-12-03_17-53-01_25.jpg

2016-12-03_16-10-53_24.jpg

2016-11-26_20-31-32_19.jpg

2016-11-26_18-45-47_17.jpg

2016-11-26_16-12-00_16.jpg

2016-11-26_16-07-43_15.jpg

2016-11-13_17-26-21_2.jpg