I Forge Iron

Does Anyone do iron masks?

I went out to the shop this morning thinking it was close to Halloween and when I turned in the stereo, Black Sabbath- Iron Man was playing so I was like heck yea I wonder if I can make a death mask. So this is as far as I got today. 

Does anyone else do iron/death masks? I know some of you fellows do armor.

IMG_3867.JPG

Thanks guys, not scaring any kids lol.

Frosty, no need for a tongue or teeth when there's a mouth guard. The main plate is 3/16, didn't measure the others. It's just scrap. 

I was actually thinking about taking out the pop rivits and turning them around to get the ball end effect. 

Ihave a lot left to do, is was just my start yesterday. We'll see what the next few days brings.

34 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

i remember reading about a French king and his twin brother somewhere...

Yes sir you are correct, "The Man In The Iron Mask" was said to be a true story in 16 century France of a younger twin by minutes having his older twin imprisoned and a full iron mask locked on for over 40 years so that the younger could be king hiding the rightful twin from the thrown. I just saw a special on the history channel a couple months ago on the subject....crazy!

Thanks Das, just trying my hand and the pop rivets just sorta came to mind....maybe I will fashion real rivets.....I have the time lol

15 hours ago, CTBlades said:

I just saw a special on the history channel a couple months ago on the subject....crazy!

Careful -- there's about as much real history on the History Channel these days as there is real science on the Science Channel.

Love the mask, though.

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Duplex nails make for cool stud headed rivets. Make a little "monkey tool" to buck them when peining.

Frosty The Lucky.

Now I like that idea. I have boxes of duplex head nails. You lost me with the monkey tool though????

That's a great mask! The talent on this site never ceases to amaze me.

And yes, duplex nails. I'm told they make great miniature swords (for those youngsters at demos who always want you to make knives and swords). Unfortunately no-one knows about duplex nails here.

On 10/24/2016 at 9:55 PM, yves said:

Check this guy out : 

Those face knockers are totally trippy, and they freak me out. I must have one!!!! 

Has anyone else ever used handheld pneumatic hammers like that?? It seems highly efficient and the level of detail is, frankly, disturbing lol 

A "monkey tool" is used to shoulder tenons and is amazingly similar to a rivet set. It's basically a piece of steel with a hole that slips over the tenon or in this case the head of a duplex nail. To dress a tenon you drive the monkey tool over the tenon to make a crisp NOT SHARP transition between tenon and stock. To buck a rivet you slip the hole over the  duplex head to back the end being peined.

If you're hot setting the rivet a duplex nail is stout enough to not need a set or preserve it's shape. Unfortunately hot setting  rivet through sheet stock can be problematical and cold setting causes less warpage, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Got it sir Frosty. I know exactly what your talking about.....this old brain needs a jumpstart every now and again lol.

Paradox I suspect a pneumatic hammer might work I'd just question the durability of the hammer itself. I don't know if they could withstand the steady steel to steel impact. I have two, my old one is rather toasty maybe I should give it a go...

Good Morning, CT

The difficult part to understand, There are no Rules Police!!!! There is no 'ONLY WAY' to do anything. Whatever you can do to make it work, is perfectly acceptable. There are quite a few people who use Air Tools for Hand Forging. There are quite a few people who use Power Hammers (Air or Mechanical) and Hydraulic Presses. That doesn't make them the 'Only Way', just another way.

Toaster Ovens work good for Heat Treating and if you want Toast just throw in a piece of Bread. K.I.S.S.

Neil

Well said Neil. If it's a crazy idea and it works it isn't crazy. Lots of guys are using air hammers from one hand chisel types to pneumatic and electric jack hammers. Forging metal has more give to the hammer than drilling through stone. Actually the machinery of an impact hammer doesn't take much if any recoil. The bit is socketed into a weight driven by a pneumatic piston or electromagnet. It gets shot at the work and what rebound there is only helps the return spring bring it back to the top of the cylinder or magnet where it trips the port or switch and it's fired again. If you've ever opened one you know how disappointingly simple they are inside. Most times rebuilding an air hammer involves replacing the leather or rubber (rings?) in the piston.

Remember to give it a COUPLE DROPS of oil at the start of a session and they'll wear YOU out for years.

Frosty The Lucky.