I Forge Iron

Anyone ever made a Valet Hook?

SpankySmith

I'm working INDOORS this summer, on a remodel project - making a big walk in closet.  I want to forge a couple Valet Hooks for the closet.  I can find examples of them online easily enough, prefab stuff but haven't seen any hand-forged.  I'm just trying to get my creative juices going on one, wondered if any of you have by chance forged one?   For anybody who doesn't know, it's a protruding hook, typically about 8-12 inches long with indentations in it to accept hangers.  It hangs on the trim of a wardrobe so you have a place to put, for instance, whatever you just ironed and are wearing tomorrow.  Sometimes they are made as retractable or collapsible (hinged) devices so they can be out of the way when not in use.  

Kinda' obscure object, so chances are I'll just get funny looks here, but thought I'd ask......

I've seen some that would basically be forged as a straight rod with fullered indentations.  I saw a couple online that looked almost like brass knuckles.   Could go several ways with this.  It'll be some weeks or a month or so before I can return to the forge to do this, so I welcome any/all ideas or even samples if any of you are bored! :D  I have to have this project done by the end of the summer - grad school starts in the fall!   (gulp!  :C ) 

I did a Google image search, saw some that looked like long barel latches, one that was paticularly meet was an L shaped hinged bracket with the rod in a punched hole. So at rest the L set as printed, with the rod hanging threw the foot of the L, when in use you pull up the rod and gravity now holds the foot of the L against the wall. 

The only door to the room will be folding/bifold doors, so they don't really play well with over the door hooks.  This will need to be mounted on the newly constructed wardrobe/closet.  In THEORY this is just a fancy version of a hook, but I'm a visual learner, I need to see something to get the creative juices flowing.  I know it's a rather strange object so I didn't think the chances were good that anyone here had made one, but maybe something similar?

Why not go for something decorative with scrolls etc. Think of a upside down shelf bracket. You want indentations for the hooks anyway so why not use the spaces that the scrolls provide as they attach to the horizontal base of the hook?

Make a fancy or ornate shelf bracket, flip it over, and hinge it so it folks flat against the wall when not in use? Or make two shelf brackets with lots of scrolls or rings as infill, spaced correctly apart so you can hand coat hangers on each, and put a small shelf on the top? They would not have to be triangular as a square design would work as well.

Do not build a box, that way you do not have to think outside the box. If you run short on ideas look at fire place cranes and modify them as needed.

Yes, Das, screwed to a wall though in this case it'll be to the end of a 3/4" panel.  Charles, what you're talking about is sorta where I was as a starting point at least.  The indentations for coat hangers is not always there, from best I can tell looking at multiple ideas online - some have 'em, some don't.   I'm still young in my Blacksmithing development, so I don't want something too complex/outside my (limited) skill set.  

What springs to mind to hold hangers is similar to the traditional trammel hooks with ratchet like teeth on, instead of the punched hole type, (which would make manouvering your clothes hangers into position somewhat difficult)  

My YahooFu struck gold on the Ebay hits. There are so many exceedingly cool valet hook ideas I'm almost giddy and I don't want one. Several fold sideways when not in use. a couple fold down or up. One I think could be an excellent forged project was a series of rings that hinged out from the wall. I didn't have anything to scale the rings but I'm guessing 1 1/2" +/-. The same concept using forged hearts, or other interesting shapes would look well. Another is a series of half circles in a wave pattern for the same purpose. How half a wagon wheel?

Frosty The Lucky.

I suggest that anyone interested in these tools try a search at the U.S. patent office site. It is free and easy to use. Also, Google has a patent searching library, for on line searches. They are incredible sites for information and ideas. Many people use them to come up with novel, inventive improvements. I suspect that there are hundreds of patents pertaining to this subject.

A patent search is also good fun and educational.

SLAG.

Edited by SLAG
debugging

The modern ones I've seen are made up out of 2" tall "stock" with notches at the top and an offset hinge pin so that they fold up, but when folded down, the base of the bar hits the door and holds it horizontal. I can easily see that idea applied to a rectangular solid forging.

9 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

Thanks, Spanky, now I want to make one and I have no need for one lol.

Hey, Michael, I'm here for ya'!  LOL!   Always happy to inspire.  I do think these are pretty useful items in any walk in closet or laundry room.    Like I said, it'll be about a month before I get a chance to forge again, if any of ya'll get similarly inspired and actually make one I'd LOVE to see it.   Your wives will thank you, I promise!

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

My YahooFu struck gold on the Ebay hits. There are so many exceedingly cool valet hook ideas I'm almost giddy and I don't want one. Several fold sideways when not in use. a couple fold down or up. One I think could be an excellent forged project was a series of rings that hinged out from the wall. I didn't have anything to scale the rings but I'm guessing 1 1/2" +/-. The same concept using forged hearts, or other interesting shapes would look well. Another is a series of half circles in a wave pattern for the same purpose. How half a wagon wheel?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yup, I think I need to come up with some kind of hinge or retraction, which is gonna' be tough considering I'm still technically a total Noob at all this.  But the placement of mine will be about chest height and I can see me running into it, semi-impaling myself if I don't figure out a way to make it hinged in some way.  

AL!   You're not doing anything, why don't you work me up a model and bring it to Forge Council?!   LOL!!!    Haven't seen you in too long, I WILL be at the meeting this month!  I'll trade ya' a dozen donuts for a decent valet hook!!   :D