I Forge Iron

Burners 101

Mikey98118

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to add one thing about angle grinder PPE. If you use a half-face mask and goggles, you should wear a face shield. A family member got a chip in their eye after it ricocheted off their half mask and under their goggles. Needed surgery to get it out. At some point I remember reading similar stories on the web, but I couldn't tell you when/where. It's probably a rare occurrence, but even if the odds are low once you make enough sparks one of them is bound to do it.

Thanks Mike.  It was a bit off topic and I should have posted it to the relevant place.  The angle grinder is a bit large for making burners.  Though most of those same points follow through with the mini rotatories (dremel) cutting discs.  

I just didn't want anyone to get the sense that angle grinders were to be avoided all together.  Their affordability and usefulness makes them worth having.  Especially to someone just starting out.  Harbor Freight's lowest end model, currently going by the name Drill Master  (Black handle, 4.3amp, )  goes for $15 and can be had for $10 with a coupon.  I bought one to test for the new guys and they are not bad.  I have put it through it's paces and it keeps on going.  Though, I steer clear of the Harbor Freight abrasives.  I have used them and they do work but they take longer to remove metal and don't last as long.  The skinny cutoff wheels also produce a wider cut and seem to be more brittle.  

I have had what twigg said, happen to me.  I had on safety glasses (not goggles) and a respirator.  A piece ricocheted off the respirator, under the glasses into my eye.  I was using a rotary file, not an angle grinder.  The angle grinder tends to throw showers of smaller sparks and bits of abrasive and the rotary file throws larger sharper pieces.  I now have safety goggles to block this from happening again.  I also have a full face shield for the higher risk stuff.  For the angle grinder, I select which of the above I use based on what and how I am cutting and specifically where the bulk of the sparks are going to fly.  If I am using the rotary file, I am at least wearing the goggles if not goggles and the face shield.  

I should have included in that list to pay attention to your sparks.  I have burned more holes in my shirts/pants with the angle grinder rooster tail than I have with hot steel/scale.  After a while, you know where the bulk of the sparks are going to fly and you can select the cutting position and guard position to send the sparks in a safe direction.

Did your family member end up ok?

I've had doctor intervention for something in my eye two different times.  The first time because of no eye protection which resulted in surgical removal.  The second time because my eye protection wasn't enough (darn) which luckily was able to be pulled.  I sure hope it doesn't happen a third time, I'm going to be walking around in full body suit.  

I was told, by the first time doc, if it happens again, immediately stop what I was doing when I felt something hit my eye and go take a look in the mirror.  Blinking a lot and rubbing eyes can make things worse.  If it is loose in the eye, it can be flushed out.  If it penetrated the eye, go to the doc as soon as possible because it will start to rust in there.  Rust stains the eye and makes it harder to extract the piece.  If I had followed this advice the first time, maybe surgery wouldn't have been required.  I did follow it the second time and perhaps that it why it was more easily pulled.  

I like my vision.  I now have an "eye magnet" and eye flush just incase.  

My only experience with eye damage happened when I was a young man working in a machine shop. On of my jobs was to turn automotive & big truck brake drums on a drum lathe. One day a small chip flew into my left eye (no eye protection). After fussing with it for several days, I decided to go to an Ophthalmologist and guess what, it had rusted in to my eye ball and lacerated the inside of my eye lid every time I blinked. Luckily the DR. was able to save my sight but I had to wear an eye patch for several weeks.  Since then PPE is high on my list. Who says I don't ever learn my lesson.

Yeah they ended up fine! It was terrible luck it happened to them because they're the most responsible with ppe out of everyone I know (even before). They eventually ended up using a faceshield with blown, filtered air as their go-to. It's like a faceshield on a hose with a belt where the blower and cartridges are mounted on the back. The belt is big enough it might even double as a lifting belt, not sure. It's a pretty neat device.

5 hours ago, Mod30 said:

agree, just created a thread in the tool section and pinned it.

I hope that section grows and grows. Back in my younger days, the wise old hands on the job were expected to educate novices. But there are way too many people being introduced to serious power tools outside of steel shop settings--this is NOT good!!!

I get nervous watching some people use right angle grinders. I nearly had a panic attack watching a guy cut a 55 gallon drum he was giving me. I was nauseous by the time he was done. I've never been so glad to get away from someone who was helping me out in my entire life. 

Pnut

I understand.  I have felt the same way watching people with kitchen knives, axes, circular saws, chainsaws, car jacks, a lawn mower, even a kitchen hand mixer.

Lots of stuff has risks.  Knowing and caring about the risks helps you stay safe.  Watching others who don't always makes me cringe.

I have been on several construction sites and seen things that I just had to look away.  I've also heard a lot of bad stories when it went wrong.

This shouldn't stop a person from using them though.  Learn the risks and think before you act.

Yes, diamond coated cutoff discs are nice. BUT you need to be aware that,when they catch in the kerf, they can't shatter, releasing the tool, instead of causing the tool to be flung about. How serious the situation can get depends on how deep you are in the cut, and the torque times speed of the tool, times disc diameter...all of which have been decided before hand; not during the incident. At this point, probably the only thing left to be thankful for, is that the disc doesn't have teeth--like a saw blade...

Please understand that I'm a big fan of diamond coated accessories. But I'm an even bigger fan of "looking before we leap."

I think that it is in response to diamond coated cutoff discs that some top end power tools are coming out with built in motor breaking, but the OEMs seem to be having trouble  with them being over sensitive, and constantly cutting motors down :P

Whenever they get that straightened out I will be spinning 3" diamond coated cutoff discs in electric die grinders. Right now I'm waiting for my slow boat from China to deliver a 12V mini angle grinder, to see if it can do that job safely.

I've never experienced that type of effect..  I find them to be much more forgiving and once they are in the cut, the kerf is wider than the blade thickness so binding is not as much of a problem.. 

I'm using 5" blades so it might be different on larger blades.. 

I use them on air, and battery powered angle grinders.. Wish I could find a good 4" one for my air powered cutoff.. 

I can't speak to what others do or don't do with their tools.. 

Many would say I abuse my tools and take to many risks..  Not sure where that goes either.. 

I guess, there are certain things that can bite you that I choose to do less and less..  Maybe it's just old age.. 

The only grinder injury I ever had was from a 9" wheel on an old solid aluminum Milwaukee angle grinder. I was 12 years old. Still have the scar on my little finger. Didn't even feel it cut right to the bone. Never forgot the lesson. Oddly enough, I find smaller tools, like die grinders and rotary tools are more inclined to give kickback incidents; just as well though. I wouldn't want kickback from a large angle grinder.

I agree with what you are saying about smaller tools kickingback more frequently than their larger breathern but there's reasons why.   For the most part,less weight in tool combined with having less than firm grip and/or only using one hand account's for it.  The lesson we might take from that is smaller discs on larger tool is safer.  A 3" disc mounted on a 4.5 grinder A. Can't go as deep into kerf where most kickback happens B.  Smaller disc equals slower speed at outside cutting edge.  C. With screw in side handle operator has better grip and control while cutting or in the event of kickback.     

Another thing that makes me cringe when someone is using a corded angle grinder, is when they set it down they drop it using the cord to let it down to the floor. One time a friend did that and I mentioned it was dangerous and could crack the disk. He said I've been doing that for 20 years. The next time he picked it up and turned it on the disk came apart before he put in the cut. Luckily he nor I were hurt and he said I see what ya mean.

Ehh. Using the cord to lower everything from (plugged in) skil saws to (charged, safeties removed) framing guns from the second story roof to the ground floor seems the accepted method of conveyance for several Darwin candidates I work with on the new jobsite I’m at nowadays. I said my piece and now I just stay as far away as possible from those people. 

How about guys who will work on the floor below the one that's having the sheeting nailed down with nail guns? My old Paslode will fire a 14p clip head straight through 1/2" ply if you miss the joist. I tried it on purpose, I didn't nail sheeting down with 14p nails. 

Sort of like driving bumper to bumper at 70+ on foggy highways in below freezing weather. Of course it's the person who slowed down who's to blame for being rear ended. Talk about a no win situation. 

Frosty The Lucky.