I Forge Iron

Cruise through the scrap yard Pic Heavy

I told someone I would get pics of the 55 gallon barrel mill balls.  Apparently it was moved somewhere because they swear they did not sell it and it was not taken to to the mill.  So no pics of that.  Since I was there anyway I decided to get a few pics.  Yes some of them are sideways

First two are teeth of some sort.  There were a bunch of these and they were all in barrels or laid out nice on pallets

The next three are railroad parts.  ASOs anyone?  That spring is really three springs.  Some were still attached to the part that attaches to the car.  I was able to find one outer spring by itself and it came home with me all 70 pounds of it.  I could barely lift the ones with all three springs.  I have a question about number 6.  I found more sawmill saw blades without the brazed on carbide pieces but the the teeth were rusted differently from the rest of the blade.  You can see the pattern in the pick.  Is this tooth a larger piece of carbide brazed on?  All of the teeth showed this pattern

The very last pic was just for the coll find aspect.  And it made me think Ausfire could do something cool with them.  They told they have a little over 147 acres of scrap.  Lots of cool stuff.  I am trying to get permission to take real photos in yard but so far no such luck.  They are afraid I am going to kill myself.

metal 1.JPG

metal 4.JPG

metal 3.JPG

metal 7.JPG

metal 8.JPG

Metal 6.JPG

metal 5.JPG

So about 50 pounds per inch of length at 15" diameter and 32 pounds per inch of length  at 12" diameter   cut a 4" piece and you have an anvil with a flat side and a curved side!

Honest Bob used to demo at Sofa using a section of shafting as an anvil; he had his "stump" carved so he could lay it flat or stand it on edge to use.

We have a great yard here in Tucson that has a section for resale open to anyone and two Saturdays per month they let you into the main yard between 6-8 AM before they begin operations. In the main yard there are some large, round bins full of various sizes of mill balls. Lots of shaker screens too, and dozer tracks,pipe, all kinds of tubing and angle sorted on racks. A separate area for aluminum and another for stainless. Indoors they have a big stash of brass including some giant ornate hotel serving platters and very old vases and containers I go there about once a month to sell my barrel of Romex trimmings then I usually end up giving them back the money for steel..

natenaaron, I'm not sure what I would do with the heavy coil springs, other than make punches. For scrap art I prefer the springier coils like you find in motorcycle shockers and such. That tooth at the top of your first pic would make a dandy head of a platypus. The duckbill is just the right shape and the eyes are there!

We have just cleared another acre or so of our scrap yard and a lot has gone to the scrap dealer - stuff that is way too heavy for me to use. I don't rescue anything I can't move by hand.

I'll take a second look but didnt see anything you could use; easily. The coil spring is popular with some; If you desire to uncoil it and NEED  that size and type of stock.

I'd like a couple of the rail car wheels. I could heat them up and make fullers and swages. . . . . .

R-I-G-H-T

Eventually I'll get into a scrapyard to pick. I'm about to just start stoping at old farm houses asking if they have a scrap pile laying outback somewhere. Lots of fun stuff in those pictures. Can only imagine the other fun stuff they have. The cutters in the last picture have me intrigued. 

When I had a pneumatic self contained hammer on my drafting board I was thinking of using 3 rail car axles welded together for the anvil. I found my LG instead so those drawings are on a dead computer forever now. I wouldn't mind having an axle for the stock, I was told by a RR mechanic it's 4140 under the gondola cars. Other wise some of the spring would be happy in my spring pile, a large one would be hammer and die stock. I'd have to be able to look at the stuff in person to do any picking, even though the pics look tempting.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 3/27/2016 at 9:53 AM, Daswulf said:

Eventually I'll get into a scrapyard to pick. I'm about to just start stoping at old farm houses asking if they have a scrap pile laying outback somewhere. Lots of fun stuff in those pictures. Can only imagine the other fun stuff they have. The cutters in the last picture have me intrigued. 

I meant the drill heads.  Some of them looked brand new.  The little ones could be lifted. 

I'm thinking I will go back for a more thorough photo trip.  I could not get to the area where all of the dead presses and other BIG machines were.  This place also makes those huge bill boards you see around and that road was blocked off with a new shipment.  It is just a fun place to look around in.

The 3 cone oilfield bits are supposed to be replaced while they still look pretty good. Losing a cone "down hole" can end up with a week lost trying to fish it out or running a junk basket (I was the mud logger on a hole or two where the pusher was trying to get the next tour to do the tripping and lost...)

can you locate a farrier supply near with a rack of ready to go stock as pictured?> A home Depot? A Lowes? Even a True Value hardware store? They have steel stock. The best is a steel supplier. They welcome public sales. The local scrap yard don't let folks wonder about picking out steel. You can drop off but not pick up.

I don't know your individual situation but it isn't difficult to locate. I mean simple steel stock such as rounds, squares and flats.

Blacksmith Tools 005.jpg

3 hours ago, natenaaron said:

I meant the drill heads.  Some of them looked brand new.  The little ones could be lifted. 

I'm thinking I will go back for a more thorough photo trip.  I could not get to the area where all of the dead presses and other BIG machines were.  This place also makes those huge bill boards you see around and that road was blocked off with a new shipment.  It is just a fun place to look around in.

Those are Tricone drill bits and pretty trashed, even the ones with most of the carbide buttons still in place. We didn't run button tooth tricones and were generally not terribly hard on them but it was faster to pull the casing and relocate a few feet than fishing one out of the hole. We carried fishing tools on the rig too, we'd give it an hour and relocate.

No, NOT an oil field driller we did soil sampling, infield tests and planted the occasional instrument. Still fishing is NEVER fun. I even made up an electro magnet that sort of worked a couple times but relocating was so much better.

However they do look cool especially to folk who've never had to work with them, maybe a mohawk on an Australian junk sculpture?

Frosty The Lucky.