I Forge Iron

Raised center vein in leaf????

using angle iron, using presses and dies,  The best way may be to do EDM on a piece and then laser cut it out.  *BEST* is meaningless with out the details of the parameters; Would you consider it "best" if it cost a million dollars a leaf?  Without throwing in a cost,size, tools required, etc and so on. Best is fairly nondescriptive.

So: Hey I need to make some 4" long leaves about 2" wide and looking like beech leaves; I only need to make 8 of them and don't have any presses, dies etc only my hammer and anvil and tongs---suggestions on how I can make them on the cheap?

Not all the details but it sure narrows things down a lot!

starts out as 1/2" H.R. round......ending up as 2" long x 1-3/4" wide Aspen leaf.....quantity, unknown, not for sale, just trying to make leaves as clean and unique as possible, not just hammered and veined with a chisel. The past few that i have done are "slightly" raised, more tapered from thick centers to thin edges. I would like assistance with giving the leaf a bit more character with an accented raised center vein. I have a 25lb Little Giant but only drawing die, few chisels and a few hammers. Here are the last ones i did, i would like a raised center vein for more "ommph".....after the 5th one coming out non picture worthy, i chimed in here.

asoen leaves.jpg

aspen leaf.jpg

That top example was from Poor Boy Tools, and the lines were just a suggestion drawn with a Sharpie. The bottom was a rough commercial casting available from a blacksmith supply catalog. I tend to think of all kinds of tools as a kit, to be modified to suit the owner's needs.

I once made a bottom swage for leaves by taking a piece of steel the size of my hardy hole and cutting it vertically and folding out the side pieces flat with a trough left from the cutting and unfolding making the stem and the swage top and then chiseling in the veins and cleaning things up.  it helps that I have large hardy holes but there is still some size limitations.

On 3/7/2016 at 5:24 AM, John McPherson said:

Make a small square block of thick steel with a stem to fit in your hardy hole. Grind or chisel in the pattern that you want. You may want several of these in various patterns.

leaf swage stake.jpg

Something just wants to make me say that this is a Nice tool!    I am not a leaf guy but this could help make me one!

Very rough sketches but this should give you the idea that there are many ways to skin a cat.  All done with just a hammer & anvil, one with a vise, a few punches/fullers/butchers/chisels (whatever you want to call them).   

Note that for good results you need both hammer control and the ability to make a few BASIC tools. Practice. 

vein.pdf

vein2.pdf

34 minutes ago, Borntoolate said:

Something just wants to make me say that this is a Nice tool!    I am not a leaf guy but this could help make me one!

I make leaves here and there and I was thinking the same thing about it. Might be attempting to make one in the near future. 

I also like Thomas's idea of splitting a piece that fits in the hardy hole in the anvil and spreading it open. 

Lots of great ideas.