I Forge Iron

Well I never knew that!

Yes I ran across about one major error per paragraph for 6 paragraphs down.

like how they carburized their metal:  Theophilus has a nice description he wrote down in 1120 A.D. in an easily found and readable book---Divers Arts published by Dover and cheap!

Smith from an old german word meaning craftsman---how about from Smite to hit????

Having the metal melt by *an* apprentice blowing air into the fire.

Castle blacksmith would NOT be making the Lords armor and weapons; The Lord would go to experts of the craft located in big cities.  Would you take your million dollar sports car to a local mechanic for extensive work or would you use one from the dealership which would not be located in a small town!

Etc; written by some one who has not done any real research---even Cathedral Forge and Waterwheel level!

well he certainly smites it and repeatedly; she  forgot that gold is not a white metal; didn't mention copper smiths or red metal workers (phrase used in a MIT Press History of Western Technology dealing with an issue a German Guild had with one of it's members trying to improve his metal lathes).

Reading the comments it seems like her job is to produce web pages of info snippets on various topics for schoolkid use and a lot of them evidently did not have anyone review them before posting.

Certainly not that one. Maybe she's a news anchor? I'm impressed Thomas, you managed to read several paragraphs? I read the first one, then skimmed the next 3-4 and couldn't find anything accurate but the spelling.

The trend is pretty common anymore though. Discovery channel is losing it's charm for me. There are a couple programs that deal with tool use and most start with humans "Flint" knapping all kinds of stone. I'd like to ask them how you "flint" knap obsidian, chert, quartz, etc. No wonder they never had anyone knapping tools say anything eh?

I don't think I'll get started. . . <grrrrrrrr>

Frosty The Lucky.

not implying it's the case here, but for those who consult wikepedia: CAUTION! on two recent occassions i've found the references cited to be sources that i'd determined to be incorrect in earlier unrelated study! a first for me to actually know more than the sources cited, but i was only doing my job. an instructor explained to me "always study at least three sources. then you'll know how many more sources you'll want to study before reaching a conclusion".

When folks argue with me about stuff they have read on the internet I tell them to give me 1/2 and hour and I'll have a website out there claiming that they are the love child of Margaret Thatcher and Elvis Presley.

Nice things about scholarly books is that they document where they got the information and provide a bibliography allowing you to judge for yourself.  A lot of web pages would cite "Hollywood, video games and urban legends" as their primary sources...

When folks argue with me about stuff they have read on the internet I tell them to give me 1/2 and hour and I'll have a website out there claiming that they are the love child of Margaret Thatcher and Elvis Presley.

Nice things about scholarly books is that they document where they got the information and provide a bibliography allowing you to judge for yourself.  A lot of web pages would cite "Hollywood, video games and urban legends" as their primary sources...

I thought if it was on TV it had to be true! Even more so for movies, next your gonna tell me me that anyone can write and edit Wikipedia pages without necessarily having an idea what theyre talking about.  

• 7 months later...

Several years ago, in an Antique Tractor Forum, ... I floated an "informed" THEORY, ... ( but still, just a THEORY... about the intended use of some obscure aftermarket parts, made by a local company.

And I stated unequivocally in that Forum, that it was just a THEORY, ... based on the Historical evidence.

( The Grandson of the original owner of that Company, manages it today, ... and He's not sure about the intended use of those particular parts, ... but we've discussed it extensively, ... and have arrived at a consensus THEORY. )

In the ensuing years, ... on 3 separate occasions, ... in discussions on other Antique Tractor Forums, ... I've had my original THEORY quoted back at me, ... as absolute FACT.

Which tells me all I need to know, about the veracity of Internet based "research".

Be it word of mouth, interweb or indeed print, any information can be flawed.........it's the truly enquiring mind that filters out the innacurate by 'extensive' research, rather than taking the first reference as absolute. It's not the media per say that's at fault it's the researcher!

Same thing with the preponderance of damaged anvils in the south east of the USA; a friend floated a theory---that they had been damaged during the ACW to cripple Confederate cavalry and soon it was being trundled out as fact all over the place.  (Actually the ACW does play a part; after the ACW the south was so poor during reconstruction that damaged anvils continued in use rather than being sent off for repair or replaced.  A good smith doesn't need an anvil horn to make a horse shoe!)

I need my mommy... to take me to the library?   

And they have the internet at my library!   

Our local library where I spent many hrs in HS has reduced book space by 50% and enlarged the building so to have more computers.  When I asked why I was told because young people don't want books today.  ,

My brother and I both do Historic Research, different subjects but we constantly find wrong information published as facts and first hand interviews giving known false statements as facts they remember.  In another generation there will be no information that can  be trusted but nobody will know the difference, rewriting history.   

My mother used to say with Irony about dubious snippets of info:

"I read it in the paper so it must be true." or "I heard it from someone ho told it himself so it must be true. "

Internet is not different from other sources. There is misinformation and information.

The internet makes it possible to find information quickly and to check that information quickly.

Books are also full of misinformation. Just to give one: The venerable and very useful Bealer believes in "packing" (You did too. Oops sorry)

The ever doubting Göte   

The flipside of all this is the blanket dismissal of information which doesn't fit your current dogma because it comes from the internet.  That's just as bad as simple acceptance of internet "facts" without further research.  The internet is correct as often as wrong..arguably more often correct.

If you really want to find an example of "internet facts", all you have to do is look at Thomas Jefferson quotes used in memes:  About 95% of the time, Jefferson never said that.  Similar with Hitler/nazi quotes.  For some reason those seem to ring true with people (probably because they were intentionally designed to) so they get parroted ad nauseam.

I have one client is who constantly sends chain e-mails to me with both of those mistakes and no matter how many times I point out that the quotes are fake, he still falls for the next one someone sends him and forwards it to everyone...