I Forge Iron

Brand New ASO

I had to travel to Fargo ND in the past few weeks.  There is a Northern Hydraulic's store in Fargo.  Like many of you I get their catalog and have been slightly shocked at some of their prices.

If you have an ABANA membership the discount prices at Grainger are usually much lower.

Anyway, in my cruise around the store I found this lovely 100# hunk of cast for the bargain basement price of $399.99!

Hurry before they are all gone!  

Merry Christmas.

John

post-5371-0-63673900-1418741293_thumb.jp

post-5371-0-11271900-1418741304_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

I had to travel to Fargo ND in the past few weeks.  There is a Northern Hydraulic's store in Fargo.  Like many of you I get their catalog and have been slightly shocked at some of their prices.

If you have an ABANA membership the discount prices at Grainger are usually much lower.

Anyway, in my cruise around the store I found this lovely 100# hunk of cast for the bargain basement price of $399.99!

Hurry before they are all gone!  

Merry Christmas.

John

I was over at the ABANA website and the link to the Granger discount page was broken. Do you know if Granger still has this program?

• 3 weeks later...

I have actually bought a cast iron ASO on purpose!  Our group took a HF 55# anvil and drill and cross drill and vertically drilled the face, plugged the horizontal holes save for the one we hooked up for propane and made a camp stove from it---stuck a rod in the hardy hole to hang a coffee pot over.   Drilled like butter and so much graphite I wondered how it held together during shipping.

I like that Thomas. Think you can tune it hot enough to heat iron? You could make a real anvil that looked like a forge. That'd be worth gold at conferences, heat on the anvil and hammer on the forge.  Pictures of the spectator's expressions please!

Frosty The Lucky.

I have actually bought a cast iron ASO on purpose!  Our group took a HF 55# anvil and drill and cross drill and vertically drilled the face, plugged the horizontal holes save for the one we hooked up for propane and made a camp stove from it---stuck a rod in the hardy hole to hang a coffee pot over.   Drilled like butter and so much graphite I wondered how it held together during shipping.

I like that Thomas. Think you can tune it hot enough to heat iron? You could make a real anvil that looked like a forge. That'd be worth gold at conferences, heat on the anvil and hammer on the forge.  Pictures of the spectator's expressions please!

Frosty The Lucky.

Now that is divergent thinking! What a winner!
(Sorry about previous post ... reply won't happen unless I click F5)