I Forge Iron

Pitch alternative

Andrewjbelcher

Wax would probably be the way to go. I took a workshop on raising and some minor chasing/repousse details and we used pie tins filled with wax as our student version pitch pots. I recall discussing the different types of wax with the instructors but I can't recall what the names were. The cost for something like pitch and wax might be a little high to start with, but don't overlook the service life of what you are buying. You probably won't need to buy more for a very long time unless you are really using it every day.

Rio grande is at $45 this morning for the stuff I have. It is good and was worth it to me.i know that is a considerable amount but I agree whith chinobi that the service life makes it worthwhile. But try the wax, it's cheap. My guess is it will work but will be a bigger pain when it comes to heating and cleaning.

Well, parrafin's cheap, but tends to be brittle. (as I found out the hard way on my first lost wax casting, whoops!)  Doesn't get much cheaper than used crayons. Beeswax is very durable, but goes about 5 a lb, and gets kinda yellowish orange and very, very hard to clean off of metal when overheated. (probably why it makes such a popular finish, no?)

Maybe you could mix parrafin with an oil, or say another wax?

• 4 months later...

I preferred lead as well. I found it much more user friendly. I have not done any repousse for years and back then was not aware that I should be in fear of lead poisoning and instant death if I touched a piece.

I do have a pitch bowl and ring which I have never used. The awful experience I had with a pitch tray doing some repousse for a Davies brothers' gate restoration in the seventies scarred me for life. To be fair I think the pitch was out of condition and could have done with more tallow to make it less brittle, I think the tray it was in was also too shallow for the depth of relief we were trying to achieve. I was under training at the time so was not in a position to change things.

I am surprised it is expensive nowadays though, I am sure I would only have bought mine on a whim. It came from a jewellers tool supplies place.

Alan

Iron Dwarf, do you have or know the brand name offhand?  I cant for the life of me get google to give me something that resembles a purchasable product :'(

Poth Hille in the UK I do not know whether they will ship overseas but I am sure there will be an equivalent company in the USA. They have a good web site. They do different melting point versions of microcrystalline I think, maybe Iron Dwarf will enlighten us as to the one he has had success with...

If you do a search on here for the thread on Renaissance wax and bees wax I posted the recipe for the Renaissance wax which comprises Microcrystalline  and polythene waxes and white spirit.

Kill two birds with one stone!

Alan

Having mentioned I have an unused pitch bowl and ring earlier I happened to spot it on the shelf under the silversmithing bench today. It must have been there for the best part of forty years! Still has the bag of Plaster of Paris with it, mice have probably had the tallow! Interesting how the steady weight of the bowl and ring have just displaced the pitch over the years. When I tried to lift the ring off, the pitch just shattered and yet the form it had taken makes it look so soft. The only price tag still on it can be seen on the leather ring at £4.55 the bowl still also had its lable but the price had faded.

Alan

post-9203-0-07519600-1421874205_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

For thin metals, foils, I have had excellent results using a rubber like material that is used to cover floor drains in the event of chemical spills.  It is somewhat tacky, care must be taken to keep it clean so that the dirt particles do not transfer to your work.  For heavier metals I would imagine that the rubber would break down over time.  It would not be cost effective to purchase new, but if you could get some that has been used and discarded I would suggest you try it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've made some of my own pine pitch, using pine rosin (hardened sap gathered from a pine tree and melted to strain out impurities), beeswax and clay dust from a potter's supply (I've heard most any fine powder will do, including coal/charcoal dust, or ground horse dung). The pitch I made was a very hard cutlers resin, and not for repousse purposes, but I believe by lowering the dust and raising the wax ratios the pitch would be softer. I hope to make a batch for repousse soon as I really enjoyed the process when I was in school.

Plaster of Paris and tallow is what I was told to mix in with the pitch.

I am sure that the metal won't mind what you use!

Apart from the balance between flexiblility and support the only other consideration is the release from the metal surface when resetting.

Alan