I Forge Iron

Items for tractor and steam lovers?!

Have a show coming up based around vintage cars, steam engines and tractors. So looking for some ideas and inspiration for items to make up and sell?

Going to make some bottle openers from spanners along with my other usual stuff but would be great to hear some other suggestions!

Have a show coming up based around vintage cars, steam engines and tractors. So looking for some ideas and inspiration for items to make up and sell?

Going to make some bottle openers from spanners along with my other usual stuff but would be great to hear some other suggestions!

From the larger spanners, candle holders, bootscrapers, hangers and hooks, figures (like the nut and bolt men) 

Not really blacksmithing, but it might give you a few ideas. I know a guy who makes up all sorts of alum tread plate items that sell really well to car guys. Things like napkin holders, tissue box covers and so on. For steam guys something made of plate and rivets would probably interest them. I'm thinking a mail box built similar to how they did the old steam boilers.

Minature steam whistle key fob. Doesn't have to work just look like one.

A lump of coal inside a clear plastic dip, for a key chain fob

Minature rad caps that showed the engine temp inside a set of wings. Critter heads that fit over rad caps. Branding iron initals or logos,as real branding irons. Chevy or ford branding irons

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Some great ideas there! Partially like the the steam whistle key fob as well as more recycling of spanners and tools. Making some items from rivets and plate is also a great idea DSW and im sure would go down well. Will be dropping by my favourite local market this week to dive in one of the tool sellers bargain 50p bucket! There is always some old tools in there that could be put to a different use.

Was also thinking of getting some old saws or shovels and using the plasma cutter to cut out some silhouettes of vintage vehicles.

With regards to the RR spikes, its not something that is used here. Which is a shame as I always see such good ideas for using them!

Curly, buy a whole bunch of railroad spikes off ebay or the like.  I know the import duties would probably be very high, but you'll be the only smith in the land that has stuff made from that "fancy foreign metal".  Imagine the wow factor when folks see items crafted from spikes you had to import for some mystical far off land!  It'd be like getting a knife with a damascus blade, only not so much.

Just a thought.  :)