I Forge Iron

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Mark1000 said:

How do you tell the age of a Fisher? I have one that was my fathers but not sure how far it goes back in the family.

thanks

Mine has the date on the anvil. It shows 1905 along with the weight of 120lbs.

Greebe, not all Fishers have the dates cast in. 

A lot of the markings on the anvils seemed to be random and for a given time frame.

Josh's book on Eagle anvils "Fisher & Norris " is a spectacular read and a great addition to the blacksmith library.

The 2 I have from the 50s don't have dates, and 1 has 150, the other 15 for the weight.

Both have the amazing side logo but some of the anvils only have Fisher on the front of the foot.

Joshua is the expert here for sure.  

Yes, I do not claim to be an expert or even know much about the Fisher anvils. Just mentioning that my Fisher has the date and weight on it. Not sure if they were cast in or put on with a stick welder. Mine as well as others I have seen with the date look pretty crude. Maybe the date was scratched backwards in the sand mold after the pattern was removed?

• 1 month later...

It seems there is always something new out there when it comes to Fisher anvils.  New to the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum today, this 20 lb anvil, made in the 1920s.  Look carefully....see the difference?  The name FISHER is on the rear, under the heel.  This is the first time I have come across this way of marking.  During this era, the 20/30/40 lb F&N anvil were redesigned to be less blocky and sleeker.  Almost similar to the shape of the small Hay Budden anvils.  They were also changing how they marked them.  I have 8 of this size, and only 2 have similar markings.  I love finding new history based on what they produced.  A lot of this information is in my book.  See my profile for ordering information.  Thanks.

781592078_New201.jpg.7a86894d829ed16c22ee05cc806235f7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there from Florida,

Been interested in blacksmithing since the turn of the century and I'm now in a position to do something about it.  I acquired a Fisher when I was stationed at Kaneohe MCBH  in 2004.  I got really lucky and got it for the price of hauling it away. 

Anyway, I was trying to find out some info about my anvil.  I believe it probably was made in 1939, that's as far as I can go.

Any  info would be appreciated.

Overall it looks pretty good.  It looks like there may have been some some welding done on the face and the tip of the horn is flattened due to being used as a doorstop.  At the end of the day they would tip it over and let it drop on the horn.

I'll pull it out of the garage and see if I can get a full profile of it tomorrow.

Phil20211011_221740.thumb.jpg.bfe7d80fdc17406645c3ac5d0605cb30.jpg

20211011_221643.jpg

20211011_221710.jpg

20211011_221719.jpg

20211011_221754.jpg

20211011_221845.jpg

20211011_221934.jpg

20211011_222021.jpg

20211011_222038.jpg

20211011_222052.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Remove duplicate photos.

Crazy story... I was in the Navy and had to go check out a hoist to load weapons on the aircraft and saw the anvil propping a door open.  I asked the shop supervisor what the deal with the anvil was and he said he'd been trying to get rid of it for a while.  I told him I'd be willing to take it, but since i was on my motorcycle I'd have to go get my car...  I was back in 15 min... 

Welcome aboard Phil, glad to have you. This is where I usually suggest a person put their general location in the header but using it as part of your login aught to do. 

Nice anvil, great score and a good story! She's in outstanding condition unless she's been through fire and the face has had the temper run out of it. A rebound test will determine that easily enough, just drop a bearing ball on it and estimate how far it rebounds as a %. If you want to be more accurate drop it from 10" on a scale and eyeball how far it bounces back.

Fishers don't "ring" so that's not going to tell you much regarding the hardness of the face.

I'm guessing but I THINK the 15 on the foot signifies it weighs 150lbs.+/-. A blunted horn was often done intentionally after a smith walked into a sharp horn a couple times.

She's a beautiful old lady with a couple few generations of good hard work in her yet.

Frosty The Lucky.

Your anvil was made in 1939.  The markings are consistent with how Fisher was doing everything at that time.  The 15 does mean the anvil was made as a 150 lb anvil at the time.  The actual weight might be slightly different; they were rarely exact.

The anvil was made in Trenton, NJ.

If you want to learn more about the company, and the technology behind your anvil, go to my profile to see the link to my book I wrote about the company.  Thanks.

NJanvilman was so great to meet you and spend some time talking.. I loved hearing more info about Fisher.. 

I ended up with very little time overall.. I figured I would have had more free time but between the scheduled demos and then the secondary time at the trailer it really just slipped away. 

wonderful visiting.. :) 

On 10/18/2021 at 7:04 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

NJanvilman was so great to meet you and spend some time talking.. I loved hearing more info about Fisher.. 

I ended up with very little time overall.. I figured I would have had more free time but between the scheduled demos and then the secondary time at the trailer it really just slipped away. 

wonderful visiting.. :) 

Likewise.  It was a busy time between the demos, socializing, gallery, and business.  I will get up to Mass. at some time to see your school and sit down to have a nice talk.  And if you are ever in the NJ area, you are most welcome here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a great topic!

I must be a very lucky guy, 20 years ago I bought a 180 lb, 1942 Fisher. I offered the guy $100.00, he gave it to me for $75.

Said everyone else try ed to get it for $50. The anvil is in pristine shape. I have since sold my Nimba 475 because it was to big and tough to move around. Thought about getting a 200# Nimba. I'm finding my 100 Kolswa and the 180 Fisher are all I need. Thanks for some great content!!