I Forge Iron

Have you dropped a bearing on it yet? Unless it's been through a fire and been annealed I think that's a plenty fair price. I'd have to hem and haw while checking it out, Hmmmm contemplatively over the chipped edge and make a counter offer. I'm not saying it isn't a fair price but making a counter offer is pretty traditional for a blacksmith. ;) It looks good from here, chip and all I'd put it right to work so long as it's still hard.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping to take a look at it this weekend. I may radius the chipped portion-- I've had a crisp-edged anvil for a while and would like to have a nice radius for drawing out, but I'll still hold off on it for a while to be sure. If the vise comes with it then it's an even better value.

Well, to my surprise it was still there when I went to check it out. It bounced a ball pein just fine despite a coat of paint to absorb a bit of the impact. I love Fishers for their lack of ring, but I was very happy to find out that one of this size doesn't even have much of a "clang" when hitting the horn or tail like some of the lighter ones do.

I sure did. They had a bobcat to load it into a pickup (it was at a place that carves headstones-- I should have asked if they had any scrap I could use as a surface plate), and I used some strategic maneuvering and scooching to get it unloaded  and in its new home

12 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Did they throw in the vise? :)

I was hoping they would, but they took it off the stump when I got there.

3 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Congrats. Will it move into #1 anvil position?

I certainly think so. I've got to dress it up just a bit, maybe de-bark and char/oil the stump, and then make a sleeve for the hardy and then it'll be in regular service