I Forge Iron

I often wonder about where all of these anvils have been, who has hammered on them, and what has been made on them?   And of the pristine ones in the Museum, where have they been hidden for scores of years.  If they could only talk!  And who ordered the custom anvils, and what were they intended for?

With restrictions easing, being vaccinated, I am reopening the Museum for tours.  Still only by appointment as this is a private museum not open to the general public.  Contact me through this site or at njanvilman@gmail.com.

Thank you everyone for your continued support of the Museum and my book.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in a funk lately..   

I've been wanting to save every piece of equipment that might go to the scrapper.. 

Not sure why it's that way today, but in reality I don't need another drill..  Or bolt/nut threader or really anything else but to finish the school.. 

Tomorrow I go buy another Fisher anvil myself..   LOL..  

1 hour ago, Goods said:

If you don’t mind saying on the web, what city is the museum in? I head to South Jersey every year for an extend-family vacation...

David

The Museum is located near Adelphia, NJ, just off of Rt. 9.  Very easy to get to from anywhere.

18 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I have been in a funk lately..   

I've been wanting to save every piece of equipment that might go to the scrapper.. 

Not sure why it's that way today, but in reality I don't need another drill..  Or bolt/nut threader or really anything else but to finish the school.. 

Tomorrow I go buy another Fisher anvil myself..   LOL..  

I hope the Fisher anvil helps!  

Helps finish the school? 

I've got 20 anvils now and only 5 work stations planned..  

I hope when the dust settles that I'll be able to pass along many of the items I have collected but won't be using.. 

Some would argue it's more of a museum itself since its filled with vintage items.. 

JPL

Probably 1950s.  Between 1952 and 1961.

Nice 150.  Looks unused.

I just noticed that this FISHER page just past 100,000 views!   I hope my many contributions to this page and to everyone's knowledge of Fisher anvils and technology has been helpful.

If you want to know more about Fisher history, please consider my book.  Go to my Profile to see where to purchase.  Thank you.  And Thank you IFI for all you do keeping this site going.

sale-facebook-4-josh-holding-book.thumb.jpg.8e680de2c3b347b4da160f88c618b167.jpg

Being newer around here, out of curiosity NJ, what made you get into curating anvils? Fishers in particular? Also, I know I said that was a lot of anvils in my previous post, but in that picture you just posted, that is A LOT of anvils!

Joshua, thank you for keeping the information alive and for writing such a great book..  

There is something to say about keeping this historical information archived as so much of the early stuff was left to be forgotten.. 

Many very good companies were bought and disbanded (Wiley and Russell, etc, etc) and the history that goes along with them. 

So, thankfully people like yourself took an interest and made it happen..   Simply wonderful..  I can't thank you enough. 

I can push your book though and I have read it a half a dozen times now and always pick up a new scrap of information here and there..   Really a great read for any history buff, blacksmith or anvil interested person.. 

Thanks for the date info too.. 

1 hour ago, SinDoc said:

Being newer around here, out of curiosity NJ, what made you get into curating anvils? Fishers in particular? Also, I know I said that was a lot of anvils in my previous post, but in that picture you just posted, that is A LOT of anvils!

Short nutshell...the complete story is in book...but after Mr. Postman's "Anvils in America" came out in 1998, I noticed a photo of a price sheet from Crossley Machine Co.  Working only 12 miles away, I visited one day, knocked on the door, and entering that day changed my life forever.  They had made Fisher anvils until 1979, and were about to shut down.  They gave me anything related to that time that was left.  I accidentally became the curator of the Fisher legacy.  22 years of collecting and research led to my two year stint writing the story of F&N.  

My book details it all, plus so much more.  And for now, I am running a Father's Day sale on everything.  Thank you for your interest.

If anyone is planning on a visit, post it here- maybe a few of us can co ordinate a visit at the same time, do some lunch or something. I've been there twice already, that isn't enough. I'm about 1 1/2 hrs away and can almost go at the drop of a hat.

Steve

I’m about 8hr 20min. I’m hoping at some point to need to head south and swing by. Maybe I can convince my wife that Maine-Toronto-Adelphia-Maine is a logical round trip?

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting

Everyone will be welcome no matter where they are coming from. 

I am planning a visit to Newport, Maine to present them with a book for the library.  The town historian and librarian were very helpful showing me archival material they have from the town's history.  Some is included in the book.   I am not sure if my trip will be this summer or next.

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting

I’m the one who was just talking to you via messenger about Newport! Give me a shout when you make your way up here, maybe I can drag out my fisher sawyers anvil and cracks cold beverage!

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting

10 hours ago, Amze said:

I’m the one who was just talking to you via messenger about Newport! Give me a shout when you make your way up here, maybe I can drag out my fisher sawyers anvil and cracks cold beverage!

I will let you know when I make the trip.  I still want to get down to the island below where the dam was and explore.  It will be interesting to hear your insight about the Newport area.

JPL   I will be by at some point.  I want to see your future school and meet you finally.

• 2 weeks later...

I am always striving to add interesting new pieces to the Fisher Museum collection.  The Fisher anvil in the middle of the photo is new today.  It is a 1921 made, 20 lb.  I set it up with a 1921 Hay Budden, also 21 lb., and a modern 20 lb. Holland anvil, made in 2020.   Two anvils made 100 years ago, and one made last year.  The classics do not change much.

686058886_1921Fisher4.thumb.jpg.681b55327bb35350e26d041dbd27d7a1.jpg